1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    PACERS vs KNICKS Game 2: Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Yao to host telethon for SARS treatment.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yun, May 7, 2003.

1. Yun

Yun Member

http://www.chron.com/cs/CDA/story.hts/sports/1899336

From Houston chronicle.

May 6, 2003, 10:59PM

Yao to host telethon for SARS treatment
    By JONATHAN FEIGEN
    Copyright 2003 Houston Chronicle
    Forget competing with Shaquille O'Neal. Rockets center Yao Ming might be the next Jerry Lewis.

Yao's planned offseason departure from media attention will take a radical turn back to the spotlight this weekend when he hosts a live telethon in Shanghai, China, to benefit SARS treatment and research.

Like so much else about Yao's life as the center of attention, the event has become so enormous it has drawn the involvement of a who's who of NBA stars and -- depending on how many Chinese networks pick up the satellite feed -- could be made available to an estimated 1 billion viewers. It airs Sunday evening in China.

"I just feel that there is an obligation as a celebrity to repay society and lead the way for other Chinese basketball players to do more in way of community service," Yao said through his cousin and agent Erick Zhang in Shanghai. "This is great opportunity to do that and a great cause."

The cause was considered great enough that the three-hour broadcast will include videotaped messages from O'Neal, Tracy McGrady, Allen Iverson, Tim Duncan, Steve Nash, Dirk Nowitzki, Dikembe Mutombo, Phil Jackson, Bill Walton, Magic Johnson, Kevin McHale and NBA commissioner David Stern.

Rockets guard Steve Francis, coach Rudy Tomjanovich and president George Postolos also taped messages.

After completing his video message, Francis made a $10,000 donation that was matched by Reebok.

"Steve Francis throughout the season and by donating this money to this cause has shown leadership at its highest level," Yao said. "I want to publicly acknowledge his support and appreciate his leadership."

Yao's representatives are working on involvement from a variety of celebrities in and out of basketball, and have been in talks with representatives of former Presidents Bill Clinton and George Bush.

Yao will have a co-host, but will have a much larger role in the program than he ever has before. But that seems only right.

The telethon was his idea.

"He's hosting it, producing it, you name it," Yao's marketing representative Bill Sanders said. "When he got home, he was blown away by the impact SARS has had. He got off plane and there was health screening at the airport, people in masks, people in chemical suits sterilizing everything. He said he wanted to do something about this and this plan was devised."

Shanghai TV will televise the telethon and make it available via satellite to every Chinese television network. As of early Wednesday Shanghai time, there were firm commitments from networks that would make the telethon available to between 250 million and 300 million people in China.

Zhang said there are talks that could make it available to as many as 1 billion viewers, though the more likely estimates are that it will be available to 600 million viewers in China and watched by about 60 million.

NBA TV is also in talks about televising the telethon in some form.

The NBA and Upper Deck have provided a variety of signed memorabilia items from Michael Jordan, Tiger Woods and other stars. The NBA also donated a pair of airline tickets from China to Houston for next season's Rockets season opener.

Though it might be premature to consider Yao and his Mother's Day telethon a successor to Jerry Lewis and his Labor Day tradition, Yao is at least off to a good start.

"He knows about it now," Zhang said of Lewis. "I made sure to tell him."

2. Yun

Yun Member

PS: Sorry for my ignorance but What is the telethon? :confused:

3. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

While the Spurs fans parade their classy admiral everywhere they go, let's give some applause to our Dynasty as a Rocket fan. Yao feel he's OBLIGATED to help his 1.5 billion country man in dealing with SARS... what else would you ask an NBA player for off the court? Guys, give Yao a hand!

4. jamalccc

jamalccc Member

It's OK. It's a long television program usually to solicit funds especially for a charity, in this case, SARS.

5. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Yao is tight.

6. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

ex-rookie has huge amounts of class and heart. its an honor to have him on the rockets, not just for his basketball skill. im glad that he is using his status to help others.

7. canoner2002

canoner2002 Contributing Member

If Yao asks for it, I will make a donation. I bet he will be able to raise some money.

8. jli

jli Member

who is jerry lewis ?

9. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

Props to Steve Francis for his $10,000 donation.

10. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

interesting.

yao's next community involvement is a "layups for lymphoma spectacular". participants pledge yao to make a certain amount of layups from .325 inches from the basket instead of dunking it in a certain amount of time. :mad:

i'm sorry. still upset with the layups. :mad:

anyway, glad yao is doing something productive and carrying some sort of responsibility that comes along with being a professional athelete. :D

11. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

A washed-up comedian/actor who hosts a telethon in the USA every Labor Day Weekend to raise money to fight Muscular Dystrophy.

Yao Ming is a class act for doing the telethon in Shanghai for SARS. Other NBA players could learn from him.

12. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Very impressive! Sounds like this telethon is going to be a big deal over there. Glad to see the strong support from the NBA stars with their videotaped messages.

Yao is really stepping up to the plate here to make a difference! I guess we should not be surprised. He is a class guy all the way!

13. Free Agent

Free Agent Member

He may be "washed-up" but he continues to raise many millions of dollars for a good cause.

http://www.mdausa.org/telethon/

14. wizkid83

wizkid83 Contributing Member

Props to Yao and Steve, nice they are committing to a worthy cause.

Omega, layoff Yao, this is a worthy cause give props only on this thread plz, we can criticize Yao on other threads.

15. OmegaSupreme

i ended my post on a good note, but ok... i'll lay off. sigh...

16. rvpals

rvpals Member

Yao is such a class guy. I always know Steve is a charitable guy would come through and show his generous side.

Prop to everyone involve in making telethon possible.

SARS can get really serious even though those of us in US not being affected too much.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

18. windandsea

windandsea Contributing Member

This telethon will begin at 5 AM, May 11 (EST). It will be lasted three hours. Here is the bank account of this acctivity. All the money collected in this activity will be donated to the SARS treatment and research.

Bank account: 066687-00149005337 (Shanghai Red Rross Humanity Help Fund)

Yao Ming will call those NBA players duing the air.

http://sports.sina.com.cn/k/2003-05-08/0307437064.shtml

19. OmegaSupreme

so will i be able to call in and give them my credit card info, pay online, or "can i write a check"?

20. OmegaSupreme

cool... someone posted it on fark. if you make it to fark... that's when you know you're a celebrity.

layups for lymphoma

it's a real link, but kidding about the text. reference to a previous post.

WHOA!!! 69 more posts until becoming a senior.

#20 OmegaSupreme, May 7, 2003
    Last edited: May 7, 2003