1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao or Zo?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by leebigez, May 18, 2010.

?

The better player till age 30?

1. Yao

63.0%
  2. Zo

37.0%
  1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

Neither are hall of fame guys, but very good centers. Till the age of 30, who was the better player? Maybe Durvasa can pull the stats and line them up for me :grin:

#1 leebigez, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I voted for Yao, but on second look stats-wise.. Alonzo looks pretty solid. His blocks per game numbers may push him past Yao. Another consideration is that Alonzo played at a time when the rules favored the big man.

3. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Yao would be in the Hall of Fame if he retired today. Not so much for his play, but for what he did for the game globally.

4. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

So who is the better player?

5. haoafu

haoafu Contributing Member

Who is a better player: Sabonis/Shaq? Internationally Sabonis is the favorite. Yao admired Sabonis the most before he enters NBA.

Rules are different, and people value Olympics gold more than NBA title in a lot of countries.

6. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

Zo. Yao is obviously a superior offensive player, but Zo was a great defensive player. He was a 20-10 guy for a decade on a winning team. Zo is a better version of Howard IMO.

7. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

Zo was a better defensive player, but Yao's better at offense. It depends on the type of team you have around them. Zo would be a good complementary piece that anchors the defense and has his own very good offense. So if you already have a dominant perimeter player, Zo might be better. But Yao would be the centerpiece of an offense and can distort opposing defenses by his demanding of doubleteams. If you're starting a team from scratch, you pick Yao. That's why I pick Yao, although I'd pick Zo on a team with, say, D-Wade.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

The rules today would have or minimal effect on zo's game. Offensively he could dribble drie and shoot from mid range and post up on the blocks. Imagine if zo could play his own personal zone. He would kill everthing at the rim.

I chose zo because of his offensive versitility,defensive prowess,tenacity and toughness. The guy was was so intense all the time it just rubbed off on everyone else. 21-10-3blks as a rookie and still couldnt win roy.

9. BEAT LA

BEAT LA Member

I clicked on Zo first, but I quickly changed my vote.

10. IamKhan

IamKhan Rookie

Zo or Howard?

I will pick (healthy) Zo over both Yao and Howard.

11. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I voted Yao simply because I knew this was just leebigez's cleverly disguised attempt to diss Yao. :grin:

^^^^
    This pretty much summarizes all that I want to say.

12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Sabonis himself would laugh if anybody told him he had a better career than Shaq, (who, btw has an Olympic Gold Medal and a WC gold medal).

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Not that I think Zo is that much better than yao. Heck Yao might be better, but the poll should be closer to 50-50 than 70-30.

14. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Ummm...no. Not even close. Yao didn't do crap for basketball globally that Jordan hadn't already done.

The Basketball Hall of Fame could probably not care less what Yao did for basketball in China.

15. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

This is actually a pretty solid comparison.

My first inclination was to say Zo. He was the better defensive player, and that's coming from someone who thinks Yao is consistently underrated as a defender because he doesn't block as many shots as you'd think he should, but is a great defender nonetheless.

I think those that say Yao is the better offensive player than Zo are probably right, but it's not that big of a difference.

Overall, I'd say Zo slightly better on defense, Yao slightly better on offense.

I think Yao's best seasons were better than Zo's best seasons in the years in question.

Surprisingly, Zo also seemed to miss games frequently, even in the early years.

Where Zo might just squeek by on top is that he was generally more consistent. Whereas Yao took a few years to get to where he ended up. Alonzon came in and average 20, 10, 3.5 blocks his rookie year and stayed around there consistently.

I think if Yao was American, he would clearly be the better center. He would have had the advantage of playing college ball (at least for a year) and not struggled with the new country, having to play for China every summer, etc. issues he's dealt with.

16. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

It's a Rockets board so it's expected.

Mourning is a 2 time defensive player of the year recipient. His numbers are better when you account for rebounds & blocks.

Edit: Yao has averaged lower minutes per game so that does affect his stats obviously.

#16 sammy, May 18, 2010
    Last edited: May 18, 2010
  17. jevon3012

jevon3012 Member

Not sure why people are so interested in making a public poll. I think that makes them more interested in who votes where rather than the results.

18. dbigfeet

dbigfeet Member

how about giving Yao Zo's heart and fire

19. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

you silly homers...

20. killtaker

killtaker Contributing Member

Haven't looked at stats to compare but impressions from memory:

Yao has larger weaknesses in his strength as a player (offensively), namely turnovers, inability to adjust to fronting defense, etc.

Mourning, on the defensive end, had no holes. In my opinion, he made a bigger impact for the success of his team.

Zo over Yao every single day.