1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao on SLAMADAMONTH (on the bad side) in SLAM magazine

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Nelly, Mar 9, 2005.

1. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

There is no link for this i think...it is in the new SLAM magazine issue with Dwyane Wade on the cover.....the dunk is the one well Stromile Swift slams it in Yao's face two handed :( ......here's what it said:

Stromile Swift on Yao, January 17, 2005, FEDEX FORUM, MEMPHIS, TN

"Yo....Yao. Before you (or Colin--What up!) read any further, just take a look at this photo. A good, long look. Are you angry? No? Well, see, that's the problem. Here's the deal: Your popularity will never be an issue. You've been an All-Star starter all three years in the L, go more votes this year than anybody ever (!), and, given the talent pool of centers in the West and the voting bloc in the (far) East, you'll probably be a starter forver. You've already shown that you're not Gheorghe Muresan, Shawn Bradley or Manute Bol. You can do more on the court than just be tall. But still. There's more to it.
    Look, you were supposed to revolutionize the game. You were supposed to be the next Shaq, a complete nightmare for opposing coaches for the next decade. And honestly, it just doesn't look like it's happening. Come on now, 18 and 8 is nice, but you're sevent freaking six! And you can move! You're supposed to be putting up Wilt Chamberlain's numbers, not Antoine Walker's.
    Seriously, you need to get mad to get better. Listen to some DMX or Mystikal or something. Tear these pages out and hang them in your locker. Remember: Stromile Swift, as good a jumper as he is, shouldn't be dunking on your face with both hands. And if he ever does it again, you should do what Wilt would have done, and dunk the next 20 times upcourt. Get mean. Please?" --Russ Bengston

For those of you who aren't familiar with SLAM, just know that the slamadamonth articles aren't mean to be taken seriously like the main articles.

here's the link to slamonline : http://www.slamonline.com/index.html

2. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

your supposed to take the main articles seriously?

3. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

Normally Slam writers suck balls. But I have to agree with this one.

4. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

I think Slam writers do not write in English! This, I'm pretty sure!:)

5. MrRolo

MrRolo Contributing Member

I enjoyed that :D

Yao will get "meaner", I have a feeling he will once he feels like a true peice of this puzzle mentally. He plays mean on the CNT but why not here?

6. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I have a subscription to SLAM. It's not bad at all if you take it for what it is.

7. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I'm waiting for Yao to get into his first fight. Usually the play-offs will do this to a player....

Hey! Hakeem did it after a pesky Mitch Kupchak pushed him over the edge! Welcome to the NBA!

#7 DavidS, Mar 9, 2005
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2005
  8. Htownhero

Htownhero Member

[​IMG]

The mag cant be all bad. :)

9. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Was that article written by Stephen A. Smith?

10. buzz1701

buzz1701 Contributing Member

I like reading Slam, but I've read some pretty racial stuff in there, mostly about how white dudes can't play etc. But it's still a good rag

11. DanTanna

DanTanna Contributing Member

12. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

It's true though ;)

13. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

SLAM is owned by a white guy.

14. Supermac34

Supermac34 President, Von Wafer Fan Club

Are the people saying Yao was supposed to revolutionize the game the same ones saying he was going to be a bust on draft night?

I think all these writers are a bunch of hypocrits.

15. g1184

g1184 Member

Slamups.

16. hotballa

hotballa Contributing Member

Not only is it owned by a white guy, but their main writer, Lang Whitaker is also white I believe. The guy who started the mag was some jewish kid named Cohen.

17. langal

langal Contributing Member

Great point. What's up with that?

I thought Yao was supposed to be the next Larue Martin.. and MAYBE.. one day be a serviceable player.

Even our own Sam Fisher said that Rik Smits or Zan Tabak would be a stretch.

Yao seems to have gone from "bust" to "disappointment". How can a predetermined bust be a disappointment?

A lot of writers said the Rockets made a BIG mistake by not picking Jason Williams. I also don't recall anyone on draft night saying the Rockets should pick Amare Stoudemire.

I can't recall any writer who said that he was going to "revolutionize" the game. What the hell does that mean anyways? How has Shaq revolutionized the game?

Please note that I don't consider Bill Walton a "writer". Walton once said the Richard Jefferson was the most athletic collegiate player ever. The man is prone to hyperbole.

18. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

sounds like the staff at slam wants negroplasty. ;)

19. Nelly

Nelly Contributing Member

Russ Bengston, SLAM's editor, is also white

http://www.nba.com/media/finals2003/russ_bengston_140x100.jpg

20. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

that explains it.

at his barmitzvah, he spent all his money to create this magazine.