1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Yao Ming on His Olympics Experience

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by pryuen, Oct 22, 2006.

1. pryuen

pryuen Contributing Member

Not sure where I should post this......

And hope this will not create controversy and end in words of flame.......

A recent interview of Yao Ming as a promotional effort for 2008 Olympic in his home country.

IMHO..........words of wisdom......... :D

2. timwalters

timwalters Member

is del harris going to be the coach, kinda wierd since del is american

3. pryuen

Does this mean Yao Ming still be playing for the national team by 2012 ?? Very likely so, as he will only be 30 years old then. :D

4. pryuen

Del Harris is no longer the national coach even though he reamins as a honorary consultant with the national team.

Jonas Kazlauskas, a Lithuanian, the former head coach for Lithuania, is contracted to be the head coach for the Chinese national team until 2008 Olympic.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jonas_Kazlauskas

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

What are you grinning for?

This isn't good news for our team or for Yao's progress on our team if he has to be saddled with this responsibility every summer.

6. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Yao's summer activities make otherwise boring offseasons more tolerable.

7. pryuen

Go over with it....if you have not yet got it RIGHT there in your mind.

Firstly, to Yao Ming, to be able to represent China and play in the Olympics and the World Championship every summer is his responsibility and an honour.

Secondly, as revealed by Anthony Falsone, Yao Ming's personal trainer, in previous interviews, high intensity and competitive competitions during the summers, barring injury of ocurse, will only help to keep Yao Ming constantly at his best conditioning, develop his durability, and get him into the best competitive shape and form when he returns to a new NBA season.

If you still have difficulties understanding this.... revisit those interviews of Anthony Falsone, which I have provided translations before:-

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=2244698&postcount=1

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showpost.php?p=2320764&postcount=1

8. hbdufe

hbdufe Member

I find yao's some pics with his girlfriend Ye Li which is also the nationnal basketball palyer in Athens Olypic games Closure .From that time their love are open to the public.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. durvasa

What does this have to do with what's good for the Rockets?

I read them. You're going off one respone to a question. I don't see that as any kind of proof that Yao would not be better off getting more rest in the Summer. There is a limit, for every player, to the extent they can participate in "high intensity and competitive competitions" without being worn out.

At least if the games came at the beginning of the summer, he'd have more time to rest and come into training camp fresh. Recall that Yao's surge last season came after he got a month of rest in December/January. He himself admitted that the rest helped him.

I'd also be weary about the increased chance of injuries. Not just injuries during the summer, but also how playing in the summer might make him more susceptible to injuries in the regular season.

I want Yao to continue to be a great player for several years. History says players of his stature tend to break down physically sooner rather than later. I believe the more Yao has to play overseas for his country in the offseason, the more likely he will meet this fate.

#9 durvasa, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  10. pryuen

So what about not playing/training in the summer and got no conditioning and got himself injured in the preseason just like TMAC had in the previous season ?

And I think Yao Ming's World Championship ended pre-maturely August 27, and he has returned to Houston September 14....and had had sufficient rest for a whole month to start the training camp fresh and in good conditioning. (Of course the toe nail is another issue.)

By the way that was not a rest back then last December/January........that was an injury. :rolleyes:

11. durvasa

What are you referring to? Even a well rested player can get injured. That doesn't mean the chance of injury won't be less.

Is that sufficient time? Do we really know?

He wasn't playing basketball during that time, was he?

12. Van Gundier

Van Gundier Member

13. pryuen

But the chance for not playing basketball and no conditioning for these professional basketballer would have a higher chance of injury.

Yao Ming said it over and over again that since his rookie season, he had never taken more than 20 days off not focusing on his strength and conditioning training and playing some basketball, as he did not want to go through the long process of reconditioning himself back into competitive shape and form. Read what he said:

Of course, he was not as he was rehabilitating from his surgery. But still he was not "resting" completely; he kept watching tapes of his own play, and got back to rehabilitation, weightlifting, working on his upper limb once he could resume walking.

It just seems to me that to you, "well rested" in the summer really mean taking holidays, partying, forget about basketball, forget about strength and conditioning. Did you read what Yao Ming said right after he resumed team practice, right after a break from his toe nail problem ??

14. hbdufe

hbdufe Member

We ,including the basketball governors in China , all know that more rest time given to him is beneficial to improve his performancs in the longseason games,but YAO is very important to his homeland.He is the leader of the nationnal team.Undoubtedly without him in 2008 Olypic games the nationnal team will be out of the series games.He is not only the key to the rockets,but also the soul of the nationnal team.If a healthy Yao without a compellent reason refuse the calling up for the country ,he will be deemed to be a selflish and thankless man and will be kicked out from the media.But yao ,the mirror of the chinese guys ,is willing to serve his motherland and the people who deeply respect him.And also the governor is conscious to protect him by only letting him playing the very important games.with the chinese basketball dominant status in the Asia area,a lot of games have no necessity to call up yao to play.Actually i am apt to give Yao more rest time in the summer instead of making him tiring before the openseason,although i'm a chinese guy.

15. pryuen

YUP.......but more rest does not really mean just holidays and partying, without basketball and his strength and conditioning. The guy said it himself.....he set high standards for himself, and he felt lost and itchy staying away from basketball.

And for those who still don't get it, I recommend you to re-read that Jonathan Feigen's great article this summer to know why Yao Ming does not want rest in the summers, and always heed to the call to represent his country in those major international tournaments.

Rest not at top of Yao's 'to-do' list this summer

16. durvasa

No, that's not what I mean. He should continue to train and workout, while at the same time balancing it with rest necessary for his body to fully recover from a full NBA season. My feeling is that full-fledged, competitive professional basketball for 1 or 2 months in the offseason could certainly interfere with that.

I'm sure you agree it would not be beneficial for Yao to play continuously, right? Well, how much time off is sufficient? And if Yao's offseason schedule is going to be dictated by China's participation in world games, will he even be in a position to judiciously plan out his off-season training schedule?

Ultimately it's Yao choice. I understand his dilemma. He feels obligated to play for his country. I think there's a significant danger that him playing competitively every offseason will age him faster. Men of his size historically don't have very good longevity. From the perspective of Rockets fans, extending his shelf life should be a primary concern.

#16 durvasa, Oct 22, 2006
    Last edited: Oct 22, 2006
  17. rvpals

rvpals Member

I'm sick of these Yao getting a summer rest vs. Playing for national team debate.

We all know it's never going to solve anything by debating it.

A man got to do what he want to do. I trust Yao is a person that can somehow pull off the near impossible: pleasing both Rockets fans and Chinese basketball fans.

18. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

China daily made a big mistake in translating Yao Ming's words:

I think the Chinese team in Athens (should be Sydney) was the strongest ever. On the inside were Li Xiaoyong, Hu Weidong, Zheng Wu, Sun Jun and Li Nan; on the outside were Dazhi (nickname of Wang Zhizhi), Mengke Bateer and I.

19. rayrocket

rayrocket Member

More,

20. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

I agree with this. Who wants to tell Yao that he can't represent his country, because it would interfer with his nba career? I haven't even seen a chinese basketball game, but i can tell you that honor is very important to Yao. You can't take away his pride and honor.

You guys are acting like you manage Yao. He plays cause he wants to. End of story. Whether this is good for him or not, I don't care. I am not his mother.