1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo Sports] Jeremy Tyler from HS Jr. to Euro Pro

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by kaleidosky, Apr 23, 2009.

1. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

http://sports.yahoo.com/top/news?slug=dw-tyler042209&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Neat story. Hope it works out for him.

3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I have a feeling right now, he's saying all the right things about moving overseas and being a professional. However, something tells me his youth is definitely going to catch up with him, and he will eventually become homesick, and start missing all the simpler things a 16-17 year old kid can do (hang out with friends, play video games, etc). Also, this kid has no idea what the real world is about yet, and once he starts getting paid, all the evils that come along with it will soon try and take a hold of him. I really do hope things work out well for him, and he can really develop his game so that he can be a top 5 pick in the draft in a couple of years, but I wouldn't be surprised if things do go as well as he thinks.

4. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

sorry, should be DON'T go as well as he thinks.

Also, I know there will be people who say that Kobe, LeBron, and KG were all 17 when they joined the league, but the biggest difference is that they never left the country before turning pro. It's one thing to turn pro at a very young age, while still being surrounded by your support system who can give you hands-on guidance. It's quite another to be halfway across the globe, and by yourself while still being a teenager.

5. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Did you even read the article?

6. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Some players might flourish under this approach, but high school juniors? sounds like a good way to destroy a lot of them or stunt them early on for a few hundred k.

7. ItsMyFault

ItsMyFault Contributing Member

Another Brandon Jennings... Great!

8. SirCharlesFan

SirCharlesFan Contributing Member

Virtually every foreign player in the NBA was playing in professional Euroleagues before they came to the association? How come it didn't stunt their growth?

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

The NCAA gets paid, but the athletes don't.

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Kids go pro at a younger age in many other sports and in many cases turn out to be the right choice. Good luck to him.

11. Shroopy2

Shroopy2 Contributing Member

You always read how players played in international leagues for 13 years before joining the NBA... And somehow they're only still 25 when they join. If there were pro basketball leagues in the US that signed 15 year olds, would have happened a LONG time ago. This is almost an overdue attempt.

Conversely, there's 16-17 olds playing video games working at Domino's Pizza who'd LOVE to do what he's doing, being an over glorified foreign exchange student.

Agree that he or anyone else trying this can fall prey to Child Star syndrome. I think a 17 year old isnt as prone to that, though

12. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Full scholarship includes room + board + tuition + fees, which means that they do get paid. This dumbass is going to get a GED. He should at least finish high school.

13. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

given the reasoning the kid gave i dont see anything wrong with him going overseas to develop his game provided that he does make it to the nba in two years (and i wish him the best of luck)

but for some reason i cant help but feel its the parents that are trying to get him to go to get the $...the money isnt much by nba standards but it is a lot of money (if it is a few 100k a year) for most people to have as an income.

i dont think this would happen if the NBA didnt have the one year rule which i think is silly but the NBA can set it rules how it wants.

14. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

Where does it stop? If guys in Europe are going pro at 14, that means we could eventually see 8th graders playing pro overseas for market value.

It does make sense. Doesn't it seem a bit backwards for Euros to be playing the free market game and Americans having more restrictions?

Myself, I dont want literal kids playing a mans game and watering down the talent for the sake of potential. These days, teams actually need those 12th spots on the roster.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

If he's as good as advertised, this could help his development a lot. If not, uh oh. For a few guys, this approach will work and maybe he's one of the few.

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

and that dumbass is going earn more than 90% of the population of the world
    yea. .. he is sssssoooooo stupid to Take the money and not play for Free

hhhmmmm . . 100K and a GED and doing the thing I love or . . .0$ an a HSD and wasting my time and development sitting in some classroom learning alot of irrelevent crap

Rocket River

17. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Most people don't view fundamentals of math, science, literature, and social studies as "irrelevant crap."

18. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I think he made an educated decision. It sounds, from this article, that he and his family took everything into consideration and are doing what they honestly think is best.

From someone that loved the more than a month I spent in Italy at 20, I think he will learn just as much there as he would on a college campus. Honestly depending on where he ends up there are Universities he can go to while he plays if he gets his GED before he leaves the US.

If I had a kid that was talented enough, I might take the same approach. Though as a college fan I would probably pass that on to my kids and they would want to experience that instead.

Plus it doesn't hurt that now we (UK) won't have to play against him that year he's down the road (UL). ;)

19. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Guys like this wouldn't take school seriously and would be a mockery to the term "student athlete" anyway. At least he lets someone who really values the education to get that particular scholarship.

Win win for all the way I see it.

20. been_exed

been_exed Member

yah but most ppl dont have his skills.