1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo]Job outsourced? Shovel turds for a living

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mulletman, May 3, 2005.

1. mulletman

mulletman Member

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20050502/od_nm/odd_pooperscooper_dc_1

2. Isabel

Isabel Member

I think that's the way things are going these days... education or whatever, you can't be guaranteed to have a "good" job, and somebody's got to scoop the poop. (or do other not-so-glorious tasks) It's a living...

3. A-Train

A-Train Contributing Member

Is that 10 dollars a week? By my calculations, that's $1000/week shovelling dog crap...

I need to re- think my career choice.

4. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

If you can find many clients it would be good. But you have to keep you clients!

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

The one industry that took off right after the telecom/dot com bust was landscaping. Mowing, weed pulling, fertilization, poop scooping, etc. There are tons of those companies up here in Dallas. They get a crew of 2 or 3 to go to a house and mow the front and back for around $25 per house. The fertilization is probably $25-$40/application. The problem is that there are a million of these services now, but for a while you could make a killing on it. Heck, you still may be able to.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Probably an all cash business, too.

7. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Kudos to this gentlemen for taking control of his situation and showing initiative. That type of reaction is far better for this country than the fired programmers who sit around the house and blame politicians for their failures.

8. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

YAY for us IT/Telcom/Code grads!!! Welcome to the Oil Industry of the 80's!!!!

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Would be interesting to see what you would do if you ever falls into the position of that guy. Talk is always cheap.

10. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

Well I can't speak for T_J but I would do what I had to do to take care of my family. I would not whine and complain that it is the government's fault. I would do what I had to...including scooping dog poo.

GIT-R-DONE!!

11. coma

coma Contributing Member

If there was something like this in Houston, I'd pay $10 a week for someone to clean up my back yard.

12. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

This sounds smelly to me.

13. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

It's not like you can't complain and still look for work at the same time. They aren't exclusive.

14. Falcons Talon

Falcons Talon Contributing Member

As a teacher, I wish could be paid a babysitters wage.

8 hours a day
    $5.00 per hour.
    1 child
    $40.00 per child per day @ 30 children= $1,200 per day

$1,200 per day @ 180 days=$216,000 annually.

So if the teacher is at the very least, a babysitter at the lowly rate of $5.00 per hour, teachers are still worth at least $216,000.00 annually.

Imagine what I would be worth if I can teach little Jr to read, write, spell, and add?

15. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Never say that again. Ever. Thanks.