1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Yahoo] First person: It’s hard to be a fan of pro sports in Houston

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by HRockets, Apr 7, 2011.

1. HRockets

HRockets Member

Obviously the Rockets are mentioned. Try and enjoy the read. If the thread needs to be moved sorry.

Houston, Texas has been on a sports downward spiral for quite some time now. There are teams from almost every major sport but none that win or have won in quite some time. Think your city's teams are bad? Check out the list below.

The Houston Astros were in the World Series in 2005 and since then have been on a downward slide that even the Pirates think is bad. Since appearing in the World Series, and losing four straight games, the Astros have yet to make it back to even the playoffs, let alone the World Series. The players that were supposed to be the cornerstones of the organization have either not progressed, Hunter Pence and Michael Bourn, or have been traded, Roy Oswalt and Lance Berkman. The team has made no significant move since blowing $100 million on Carlos Lee and with a sale of the team pending seem content to accept the team's failure for now and claim rebuilding. With no real prospects in the farm system other than Jordan Lyles it seems the Astros are not going to be contending anytime soon.

The Houston Rockets won two NBA Championships in 1994 and 1995 and although they may be tainted since Jordan was out of the league for two years, someone had to win! Since then they traded their entire team for Charles Barkley, signed Scottie Pippen, traded what was left for Tracey McGrady and drafted Yao Ming(notes). Great names, horrible results. The Rockets finally made it out of the first round of the playoffs but no one has really mistaken them for actual contenders to win a title. Now the team traded its starting point guard, has no superstar, Yao Ming still on the shelf and instead of trying to move up in the draft they are trying to make the playoffs, why? Did they miss what San Antonio did years ago when they tanked to make sure they would get Tim Duncan(notes)? Why make the playoffs just to get blown away in the first round and lose your chance at a lottery pick? I guess that explains why the Rockets are not going anywhere now and look to be not going anywhere soon.

Last, but probably not least, we have the Houston Texans. Since the team's inception there has now been one winning season. You heard me, one. Last season the team was picked by many to compete for a division title and make the playoffs for the first time and what happened? The team started off strong with a win over the Colts and then proceeded to go 5 - 10 the rest of the way. The Texans defense became the joke of the league giving up touchdowns and yards like they were candy and it was Halloween. After a long a disappointing season, one of many since the Texan's inception, what changes were made? The defensive coordinator was fired along with some other defensive coaches and the Head Coach lives on. Really? With all of the coaches out there and all of the problems on the team you want to keep the coach that cannot win? I will say that the Texans at least hired a new defensive coordinator with experience and maybe if the season starts to go badly, if there is a season, they will hand the reigns over to the defensive coordinator and go coach shopping in the offseason.

After all this, do you still think your city has it bad? Three major sports franchises and not a single one that can make the playoffs, win games, or give the city of Houston something to cheer about other than when a player beats up another player from Tennessee. I always have and always will be a sports fan but I may have to find a reason to move if at least one of these Houston teams cannot get it together soon.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news?slug=ycn-8225805

2. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Probably belongs in the "houston sports" forum.

Even though our teams haven't won much this past decade, it actually has been pretty entertaining, and some cities can't even claim that.

The next 3-5 years are going to be really tough... unless the Texans can somehow put one good year together.

3. Raven

Raven Member

I stopped reading the article at this point.

4. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

what a joke.

5. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't know much about the "Yahoo Contributor Network", but it looks like it is like BleacherReport... anyone off the street can write it.

6. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Not a huge shock, we should probably just giving this random douche free page views...

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Yep, that easy...tank, win the lottery with no better than a 1 in 4 chance, draft once-in-a-lifetime Tim Duncan quality player, win multiple championships. No risk involved. Guaranteed to succeed. If only every bad team for the past 15 years had followed this simple formula.

8. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Can't say I like the growing trend of Bleacher Report type stuff. I guess the internet media feeds it because it's free money for them (ad dollars with no payments to writers) and fosters some sort of sense of closeness with the readers (giving the fans a voice). But by and large it's uninspired, unoriginal drivel....akin to the bottom of the barrel sports radio call in shows.

For the topic at hand, I've felt for the past several years that Houston became a sister city to Washington DC.....except now they have the Capitals to get behind.

It's painful...there's very little to cling to in any of the 3 main franchises. You have to be a very serious diehard fanboy to convince yourself that any one of these teams is close to turning things around.

9. Major Malcontent

Major Malcontent Contributing Member

I stopped reading at "although they might be tainted because Jordan was out of the league two years" get a life Jordan jockers. Jordan was playing in the playoffs in 1995 and averaging 42 minutes and 31 points...I know, but...but...Jordan would have willed them to win if he had been playing all year, weaksauce...he was there for the playoffs and playing ok, and they lost anyway.

No reason to just assume they would have beaten us in 94 either, Mad Max gave His Airness nightmares, and who was going to stop Hakeem? Will Perdue? Bill Wennington? Luc Longley? Horace Grant?

O.k sorry...that moronic assumption always gets my blood pressure up.

2 people like this.
  10. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

jesus who wrote that, a 12 year old? i mean i'm a fan of self-depricating humor, don't get me wrong, but that was just terribly written and downright r****ded.

clearly a bleacher report type piece... no way a paid jouranalist would write something so poorly.

11. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

Like other said, saying that Jordan didnt play in 95, its sooo wrong, people get your facts right!

And this year If we had faced SA in the playoffs, we could give them a scare.
    and there is no Tim Duncan in the next draft, so why tank?

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

13. msn

msn Member

same here.

14. msn

msn Member

Agreed. I honestly wish Jordan and the Bulls would have advanced to the finals--we would have seen Dream's Rockets kick their asses in 5 or 6. Dream would have dropped 40 at least twice.

15. wallyj12

wallyj12 Member

How did you even find this trash article? Is that you Drew Briggs?

16. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

HRockets is Drew Briggs.

17. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

not as hard as it is to read that article with a straight face

18. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

While the writer seems like a douche, he is on point that Houston is the worst professional sports city in the country right now

19. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

We're in the bottom 5, but I don't think we're the worst :(

20. Jimes

Jimes Member

This article is not good. Armchair quarterbacking at its finest.