1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[YAHOO] Burning Questions - Can McGrady buy into JVG's defensive schemes?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by SupermanSK, Oct 4, 2004.

1. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

[YAHOO, KERR] CAN MCGRADY BUT INTO JVG'S DEFENSIVE SCHEMES

Burning questions

by Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
    October 4, 2004

As NBA training camps open around the league Monday, a number of questions come to mind whose answers could have a major impact on the season.

1. Can the Jeff Van Gundy/Tracy McGrady relationship work in Houston?
    Jeff Van Gundy is known as one of the most demanding, intense and defensive-minded coaches in the game. Tracy McGrady is one of the most gifted players in the NBA, but he has never appeared overly concerned about defending anyone. The relationship between these two is the key to what has the potential to be a very good Houston Rockets season.

Van Gundy could be exactly what McGrady needs to get to the next level – remember McGrady has never won a playoff series. The two should be very compatible offensively because each is most comfortable in a half-court setting.

Van Gundy loved to slow the ball down and rely on sideline isolation plays for Allan Houston and Latrell Sprewell in New York, and he'll want to do the same for McGrady.

With Yao Ming manning the low post, the last thing Van Gundy wants is a fast pace for the Rockets, so he'll try to win games in the half court. McGrady will feel right at home, as he has always excelled in that type of game.

ADVERTISEMENT

But Van Gundy's challenge will come at the other end of the floor. He will demand that T-Mac defend every play with intensity and focus, and he'll be relentless in his quest.

McGrady's response to the coach will be critical. If he "buys into the system," as the cliché goes, he will become a much better defensive player and Houston could be a very tough outfit. If not, he and his coach will butt heads all season and the Rockets will simply be a low-scoring, boring, mediocre squad.

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_y...-?slug=sk-questions100404&prov=yhoo&type=lgns

2. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

McGrady isn't stupid. He knew who the coach was before he decided to come here. (I know he was traded, but you know what I mean) He knew/knows what JVG is all about. I think his deciding to come here in the first place was "buying into the system" in a sense.

We're already ahead of the game.

3. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

I think Steve Kerr should stop writing articles and predictions right now. He used to appear smart to me, not anymore.

4. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

I agree with both of you, especially you, redgoose.

5. olliez

olliez Contributing Member

Amen to that brother

6. CHAD444

CHAD444 Contributing Member

i used to respect steve kerr as a player but now????????

7. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

You of all people, Mr. Ford, should stay out of this.

8. GermanRoxFan

GermanRoxFan Member

What's wrong with ths article? Steve Kerr is absolutely right with this article.

T-Mac has to get to the next level to fulfill the high demands most of you have for him and the entire team. It won't be easy and don't take it for granted that this team will be a story of success. They have to earn it. And I can only warn you guys. If things don't work out as the should be we might as well be heading into the lottery. The west is tight!

I think a lot of the people here a way to optimistic. But this probably comes because they can't wait for the season to start.

9. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Maybe he just found out JVG was the coach? I dont think so. Steve kerrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr silly

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

From the Chronicle articles the last few days, it is quite apparent that Tmac is buying into JVG's system. I dont think that will be a problem.

11. shawn786

shawn786 Member

T-Mac knows what kind of coach JVG is and what he wants from his players. I realy do think not only Yao but JVG has alot to do with getting T-Mac here. Tracy understands that to get to the next level he needs a coach like JVG who can teach him how to play great D becuase every1 allready knows O his allways on. This will make him a all around great player even if hes #s do drop a little.

12. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

Steve Kerr. A guy whose job in the NBA was to stand at the three point line and feed off of some of the greatest talent to come through the NBA. While he may have got a whiff of their jocks, hanging around the best and collecting rings due to their brilliance does not make him smart or a good prognosticator.

What this does for me is make me wonder what the hell is he doing as a color guy and commentator for TNT? His only plus is he can speak articulately and he knows the odor of some great jocks?

13. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

I believe Tmac did show interest in guarding people back in Toronto when he was getting almost 2 blocks a game. :rolleyes:

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Dude, McGrady said he learned a lot.

Seriously, Houston fans do this all the time, and trying to be a voice of reason will only get you blasted.

15. munco

munco Member

while Kerr didn't say anything groundbreaking. I didn't take offense to what he said and compared to the majority of analysts he's still one of the better guys out there.

16. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

"Can McGrady buy into JVG's defensive schemes?"

If Mobley can improve, so can Tmac! :cool:

17. Pat

Pat Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

He was a good enough prognosticator to know for which teams to stand at their three point line.:)