1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Yahoo Breaking News) Magic Reportedly Hire Donovan

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by itzIce, May 31, 2007.

1. itzIce

itzIce Member

No link but on Yahoo Breaking News Ticker.....Orlando magic hire Billy Donovan.

2. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

All I have seen is that the Magic have offered him the job. I haven't seen anywhere saying that he has accepted the position.

3. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Well everyone know's the offer was out there im just suprised Donovan took it. I guess he's already proven he can do it at the college level & he wants to take it to the next level.

Of course im sure the $ big fat pay $ check didn't hurt ether.

4. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

He should take the job. He has nothing left to prove at Florida. Frankly, I was astonished he turned down the Kentucky job for that reason as well.

5. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Contributing Member

Where does it say he accepted?

6. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Florida has a really strong class, I am more interested in who they pursue as a new coach than Donovan in Orlando.

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Hasn't been hired yet. Just OFFERED the job.

However, Orlando is starting at 6M per season versus Florida's offer of 3M per.

Orlando Sentinel thinks Donovan will accept the Magic's richer offer.

8. shawn786

shawn786 Member

www.sports.yahoo.com

It says breaking news and shows his picture.

No link

9. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

10. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Yeah, basically ORLANDO is saying Donovan will accept, no actual word from the Donovan camp.

As for the previous comment about Donovan not going to Kentucky? Why would he? He's already built a legacy for himself at Florida, and the program is at the peak of college basketball. Doesn't make much sense to redo what he's already done. (Dick Vitale basically says the same thing too) I'm aware of the dynasty at Kentucky but it basically means he's going to take a few years back to build up yet another school.

As a Gator alumn a part of me wants to hate him for leaving but that's just being a selfish diehard fan. He's brought the program to the top with 2 championships in a row. You can't do anything greater than that. The opportunity for more money and to coach at the highest level of the sport is something I couldn't blame him for. It just sucks knowing that it is impossible to replace him.

Many people think he may not be a successful coach at the NBA level. I have no idea. But if he can't what type of college coach can? That wasn't a rhetorical question, I'm just wondering what mold do people think works at the NBA level. Well if Donovan does take the job (which he hasn't yet) I will be following his team closely and wish him the best. That said he's got a great thing going in Gainesville and I don't think it's outrageous if he turns down the Orlando job.

11. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

5 years-28 million dollars with an option to increase it to 35 million for a 6th year.

The man got a nice payday and gets to stay in Florida. Not bad for him.

12. doublebogey

doublebogey Member

Wow! Magic must be crazy about donovan. 6 year contract of 6 mil for a college coach? Donovan must saying "yahoo" right now. But not too many college coaches (except one if u count Larry Brown) have success in NBA. Good luck to Magic.

13. WhoMikeJames

WhoMikeJames Contributing Member

Wow, awesome news for Orlando.

14. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

Good decision by Billy. He has a nice core of Dwight Howard and Jameer Nelson to build around. He can have them competing in the East by next season.

15. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Just in via ESPN:

6 Year Deal @ $6 Million a Year :eek:

16. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

the magic definitely seem sure that he will work out for them.

i think it's a good hire for orlando since this summer's available coaches include JVG, SVG, dwane casey, bob hill, brian shaw, etc...

17. itzIce

itzIce Member

18. surrender

surrender Member

They could've had a better NBA coach in Stan Van Gundy for less, but I guess Donovan would draw in the crowds

19. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

Great move in my opinion. Donovan is a lot like JVG in that he will get his players to play defense, and his Florida teams had a strong half-court offense. His playing rotation was probably the best in the NCAA because of the faith he had in the high-caliber guys he recruited. A good coach is a good coach. Orlando is the next best thing in the East.

20. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

Wow. Stupid.

I mean...not that stupid, but not the wisest investment of 6 million. Plenty of proven coaches out there for far less. We all know winning in college does not = winning in the pros.