1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[yahoo]Bob Huggins taking job at West Virginia

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by leroy, Apr 5, 2007.

1. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Bob Huggins taking job at West Virginia

By STEVE BRISENDINE, AP Sports Writer
    16 minutes ago

MANHATTAN, Kan. - Bob Huggins is going home to West Virginia. After one season at Kansas State, Huggins is leaving to become the men's basketball coach at West Virginia, K-State athletic director Tim Weiser said Thursday.

Huggins replaces John Beilein, who left to take the Michigan job Tuesday.

Huggins was born in Morgantown, W.Va., although he grew up in Ohio. He played his last two college seasons for the Mountaineers and holds bachelor's and master's degrees from West Virginia, where he was a graduate assistant for the 1977-78 season.

Poor K-State. They were just used and abused by Bob. Say goodbye to Michael Beasley as well...and national credibility.

2. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Man Huggins used KSU like a 5 dollar hooker. That was just brutal of him.

But props to West Virginia who basically was the Anti-Kentucky in their coaching search. They lost a damned good coach in John Beilein only to possibly get an even better one (at least a better recruiter, Beilein is probably much better with the x's and o's).

But if I were a KSU fan, I'd be mad as hell considering Huggins promised them he wouldn't bolt (and was specifically asked about the possibility of going to WVU, which he assured them wouldn't happen)

3. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man, this could be a huge blow to the freshman talent level of the Big 12. Beasley is likely gone, maybe Bill Walker leaves for the NBA now, and if Gillespie leaves for Kentucky, Deandre Jordan will be looking elsewhere likely as well. That's 3 of the Rivals top 10 prospects.

Hopefully, they'll all want to come to UT (though only Jordan is a real possibility). :)

4. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

How could Walker leave for the NBA? Did I miss something?

Anyway, I thought I saw somewhere that Jordan said that if Gillispie left, he'd be headed to Texas- hopefully that's true (but it was probably just some poster on here making stuff up). And I notice that Bill Walker also has Texas listed as a consideration. Any idea how serious that is?

5. NIKEstrad

NIKEstrad Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe you missed it, but Bill Walker was able to graduate early and played for KState last year. Season ended with a torn ACL. I *think* he's eligible to put his name in the draft.

6. cambyrd

cambyrd Member

Texas definitely has three recruits coming in next year: Gary Johnson, Clint Chapman and Alexis Wangmene. These three will put them at the maximum number of scholarship players allowed on an NCAA team. The only way they would get another player would be if Durant leaves for the NBA or somebody transfers.

7. Major

Major Member

According to the ESPN reports, Barnes is UK's #1 choice right now (not sure why). Not sure if he would leave or not, but that would mean Durant is definitely gone (likely anyway, but he's said some things that suggest he might stay), and same thing with some of UT's recruits for next year.

8. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

I am sorry, but having watched Bobby Huggins make a mockery of his job in Cincinnati, and then use and abuse a school who took a chance on him. I have lost any small morsel of respect for the guy.

As much as I liked the program at WV I hope the guy fails there... I would like to see him out of college basketball, he's a terrible person for a bunch of kids to use a role model.

I don't care how many wins the guy puts on the board if he sets a bad example for his players.

9. Major

Major Member

Apparnetly a lot happened in the last 12 hours or so... Nevermind!

10. Jebus

Jebus Contributing Member

Ahh, I see. I did miss it, thanks. And if he elected to transfer instead, he'd have to sit out a year? seems like a definite NBA jump now. The more talent in the draft, the better for lower drafting teams like the Rockets, I guess.

and this answers the other questions, pretty much. Obviously the choice between Durant and Jordan is no choice at all, but if/when Durant takes off for the NBA, picking up Jordan wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if they could make it happen.

11. goyao11

goyao11 Member

i miss the good ol times of when WVU had Pittsnogle and Gansey

they were so good... very unatheletic and unspectacular... but man were they efficient and precise in thier execution...