1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WWII Cinema] Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 4, 2016.

1. dmenacela

dmenacela Contributing Member

Truest format (in Nolan's definition) = shooting in 65MM negatives, w/ the IMAX camera, in a 70MM theater presenting with the actual 70MM reels.
    I'm guessing Greenway theater in Houston was in digital format (overlay copy on the reel output). You're right, it's not a big deal to the average consumer. Glad you saw the movie.

2. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

that's a tiny theater dude, nolans truest format sucks

low information consumers like you guess based on feelings. It was 5/70, it was not imax. I hate the fact we finally get marketing behind clearer picture but it comes with snobs like yourself using nonsense terms.

3. dmenacela

We work our hardest to give the consumers a great experience. It's not nonsense but a fact. Don't kill the messenger, I work in the industry and just conveying the vision.

4. Bandwagoner

I think it was you using "truest vision" and sounding like a vinyl guy that rustled my jimmies.

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

So is this worth watching in 70mm or not?

Bandwagoner likes this.
  6. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

For a cenophile, probably yes, based on everything I'm hearing. But it's great looking in 35mm as well, and many people wouldn't notice much difference.

I'm seeing it in 70 on Sunday night, but it is silly b/c will be drinking w Mrs B-Bob and some drunk friends.

Caesar likes this.
  7. ghettocheeze

ghettocheeze Member

Dunkirk is Nolan's finest achievement to date. He's in complete command of his craft in this movie.

This was less a movie and more of an experience -- the closest thing to feeling the sense of war outside of documentary and actual footage. Therefore, the comparisons to other great war films is beside the point.

Also, I was glad the narrative was not hung on a single character in typical Hollywood storytelling fashion. Although, Tom Hardy comes close with his last-second heroics.

Technically: must watch in 70mm Imax. Gorgeous cinematography and perhaps one of the greatest sound designs ever recorded. Just bone chilling.

Overall, viceral and pulse pounding to the end like a ticking clock.

10/10. A masterpiece.

8. Kilgore Trout

Kilgore Trout Contributing Member

Luckily I'm somewhat near one of the dallas screens with 70mm IMAX but for those in Austin imagine the Bullock will be amazing with one of the few lazer IMAX in the US.

9. dmenacela

10. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol. :D

http://www.kgbanswers.co.uk/what-is-a-cenophile/22356197

B-Bob likes this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

B-Bob, btw where are you seeing it? there's apparently only one theater in NYS and that's in Manhattan, so unlikely that's a possibility for me this summer. just curious

12. B-Bob

It's at the local Alamo Drafthouse here in the Mission district of San Francisco. I am pinch-myself-lucky b/c can walk there and stumble home too.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  13. B-Bob

Os Trigonum likes this.
  14. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

that's awesome. you'll have to let us all know how it goes.

B-Bob likes this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

There are 70mm places in Austin (I think 2) and there is the IMAX bob bullock which I don't think is but is now laser instead of bulb or something. Which is the better one to watch this in ?

16. Os Trigonum

Supporting Member

on edit: checking on a number of different IMAX related web sites, apparently Syracuse has an IMAX theater that is showing Dunkirk right now, so that's a bit more possible

17. conquistador#11

Loved it. The tension never lets off. It's a very different type of film than the legendary saving private ryan.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  18. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Saw it in laser IMAX at the Chinese Theatre (I miss the price at Bob Bullock). The cinematography is the best I've ever seen. Incredible execution overall. I highly recommend seeing it in general and would suggest seeing it at a decent theater, not at a discount place that has iffy sound and picture.

19. Bob Barker 007

It's the film of the year for me. And really, it moved me more than the 2017 Oscar nominees. I was not bothered at all by the lack of a main character or the blending of time.

Bandwagoner likes this.
  20. Bandwagoner

best film so far this year for sure