1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WWII Cinema] Christopher Nolan's 'Dunkirk'

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by percicles, Aug 4, 2016.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

But I felt it was somewhat necessary. The waiting soldiers had a long timespan of developments. The civilian boat took a day. And the Hardy-led trio of fighter planes had about an hour or two of fuel. If you just go chronologically, you meet Tom Hardy and pals for like the last ten minutes of a movie. You meet the civilian captain in the last twenty minutes of the movie. "Oh hey! Hi, audience! Here's someone you should get to know real quick like."

I actually thought it was perfect and not annoying, but just my 2 cents.

2. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, man, they want love, the war movie they want is actually WONDER WOMAN apparently.

3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Yeah, if you don't understand the nuances of the timing changes you probably just need to watch the movie 1-3 more times to digest it all. It's a bit jarring, but it has a deep effect. ****, I couldn't interpret what all was going on in Interstellar my first go-round.

4. ramotadab

ramotadab Member

What is the best IMAX theater in the Houston area or are they all the same?

5. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You probably want to go to the non-IMAX screen and watch the 70mm projector version (depending on how SNOBBY about A/V you are) at Greenway. https://www.vox.com/culture/2017/7/...iner-format-imax-digital-70mm-35mm-buy-ticket

Some of the "IMAX" laser showings in Houston are supposedly very low quality. It's all one big pee-pee game, thanks Nolan for being such an BETTER THAN THOU Brit.

ramotadab likes this.
  6. PatBev

PatBev Member

I don't know how Christopher Nolan breathes with his head so far up his own ass filming movies

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Don't worry bruh another Transformers movie should be out soon

justtxyank and B-Bob like this.
  8. Duncan McDonuts

Duncan McDonuts Contributing Member

It was somewhat necessary to speed up the time. I think Nolan overused the effect, though.

Plot spoilers:
    Like when the soldiers in the small trawler start sinking near the bombed patrol boat, that could've been edited to be chronological. Instead, it jumped around too much. It all could've worked in relative chronological order without the jumps. The timelines overlap a bit and are slightly obscured by the different plotlines, but it still works.

For example, plot spoilers: The civilian boat gets introduced at the dock. They set off towards Dunkirk. Harry Styles and company get on the destroyer. Destroyer gets torpedoed and they end up back at Dunkirk. Civilians pick up Scarecrow and continue towards Dunkirk. Harry Styles gets into beached trawler. Introduce flight squadron. At this point, we're halfway through the movie. Flight leader gets shot down during first dogfight. Back to the trawler, Dutchie enters. Germans start shooting as tide comes in. Scarecrow kills George. Trawler makes it off the beach into open waters. Second dog fight, wingman is shot down. Civilian boat rescues wingman. Trawler starts sinking. Patrol boat gets bombed. Bane takes down last German plane. Civilian boat rescues One Direction. Movie ends as normal.

9. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

10. theimpossibles1

Pretty much exactly how i feel. Wouldn't call it "shitty" but yea. My expectations were high and was not impressed. I also liked Batman v superman lol.

11. PhiSlammaJamma

The Rockets should pump this into Toyota as an experiment, and see what happens over a 2 hour period...

donkeypunch likes this.
  12. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Unless its a game 6. :(:(:(