1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WTB an Alaskan Malamute Puppy

Discussion in 'Hot Deals and Classifieds' started by Angle02, Dec 29, 2009.

1. Angle02

Angle02 Member

I'm wanting to buy an Alaskan Malamute puppy but having no luck in the East Texas area on finding them. The only ones I have found seem to be the champion of champions bloodline and their asking price is anywhere from 1,200 to 2,500. If anyone knows anyone that breeds them would you please give me contact info. Thanks

2. rocketlaunch

rocketlaunch Contributing Member

3. GlassHalfFull

GlassHalfFull Member

I always support getting a rescue, but you might want to reconsider getting a dog with that coat in Texas. One of my dogs has a heavy coat and he is absolutely miserable outside in the summer.

4. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Growing up we had 2 Alaskan Malamutes raised as pups in East Texas. This one might be more of a house pet but I have plenty of shade in the back yard for it. Also the past couple summers haven't been as harsh as the ones in the past.

Thanks for that website rocketlaunch.
    I would rather start off getting a puppy instead of a rescue. I wouldn't mind getting a rescue later on down the road though.

5. Egghead

Egghead Member

get a siberian husky instead if you cant find an alaskan malamute

6. joesr

joesr Member

7. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

I rescued a mal from the illegals across the street. They tied her up at about 3 months old and left her in the front yard with about 2 ft of leash to move around in. Luckly, it was last winter, or she would have died from the heat in the summer. God knows why they didnt get a normal outside dog like a rot or something like all the other people do who have permante outdoor dogs in TX.

Have you researched mals? They are extremly hard to train, and love to escape. Plus, come on, you're in Texas. I love mals, but would never buy one living here. I got lucky bc I rescued mine. I put in a window ac unit in a small bedroom so that during the summers, I can keep that room cool for her. They get quite miserable in the summer time since they can't go outside for extended time.

8. Angle02

Angle02 Member

There are several breeders in Texas from the piney woods, to the plains, and even around the desert area. I'm pretty sure they have no problem with the Malamutes they breed so I think I can handle it.

9. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

LOL. Of course they have no problem, it's how they make money! I’m telling you from experience, the summers here are rough on them. But either way, it is all your choice, of course. I'm sure a Mal in Texas in a loving home would be better off than a Mal in Alaska without a caring family.

Let me ask you this, is this your first dog? If not, what type of dog(s) did you have before? Any cats? Yard? Will you be able to give your dog plenty of exercise?

Mal's are very dominate dogs and will easily walk all over an inexperienced owner. They are pack dogs and look to be the alpha, completely different than dogs like labs. While I have definitely asserted myself as the leader, she still is very independent and has a hard time listening. My mal thinks she is higher in the pack than my girlfriend. my gf doesnt really know how to be the dominate one, and it is very obvious the dog knows that.

They are pretty energetic for a few years, but after that they mellow out and are big affectionate lap dogs.

You should really watch www.texalmal.org maybe once a month or so they will list a mal puppy that is in a shelter and needs to be rescued. I'll be getting my next dog from that site for sure, there are too many unwated dogs to pay alot of money at a breeder.

10. Big MAK

Big MAK Member

Sorry, Angel02, I didn't see this post.

With my mal, shade isnt enough in the summers. My vet said that whenever it gets above 80 (which is around 250 days a year) the dog needs to be in the house with AC.

The website has puppies on it. While it mostly has dogs 2+ years old, every once in awhiel they will have a puppy. There is actually a puppy listed there now. They said it is about 4 months, but it looks younger than that. It isnt a full mal, but it could sure use a loving home.

11. thelasik

thelasik Contributing Member

After reading your display of incompetence here I highly recommend you DO NOT get a Mal.

12. Angle02

Angle02 Member

Please point out my display of incompetence. Was it about breeders from the piney woods, the plains, and the desert area?

13. Angle02

Angle02 Member

It's cool man. I found a breeder in Missouri that I'm going to buy a puppy from. They had a real pretty female that had the silver and white coat that I like. They also had a couple of solid whites both male and female about 150 more.