1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wrestling (WWF)...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ROXRAN, Aug 22, 2001.

Tags:
  1. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Do you watch it?...Why do you watch it?

Do you avoid it?...Why do you avoid it?

please be specific and give a substantial response.

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I used to watch rasslin', but the WWF turned what was actually a rather dramatical soap opera into something more akin to a sit com. The WWF blows. The UWF(?), WCW, NWA, etc. of a few years ago were far superior.

... I'm saying these things in a public forum and I'm not feeling embarrassed. Oh God.

3. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

Don't be embarrased Dr. because it is what it is..and I catch it every now and then. Obviously staged entertainment is a debateable topic and I think there is an appeal for sports entertainment...but the "game" changes and has always changed, but it has now slowly emerged into bonafide soap opera in my humble opinion...I long for when the game was about the ring business...Now, the game is being pulled further and further away from the ring and this fact actually bothers me..It bothers me because I think the end of true rasslin' has begun and the extraneous additives does nothing but adds sleaze and cheese (punctuated with the merger).

4. Ninja Sauce X

Ninja Sauce X Member

I have to disagree with you on the first point, ROXRAN. With the merger came fresh talent like Rob Van Dam and Tajiri (the most entertaining in the business today IMHO.) Also, the Hardys are always entertaining (of course anything involving ladders, chairs, and a flaming table is entertaining.) Finally, Benoit is probably one of the greatest technical wrestlers ever; you have to appreciate the work he puts into every match.

You hit the bullseye about the sleaze and cheese though. Real fans dont really give a crap about bra and panties/mudwrestling/stalker matches.

5. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

But that's exactly why most people think the WWF has wrecked the sport despite its own success. They also have stupid plot lines now that are just jokes.

... Oh God, I posted again in this thread.

6. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

2-3 years ago I watched every monday night, then I just stopped. Story lines gotvery stupid. I started watching again last month once I heard about the merger. But one question, where is Goldberg? I know HHH is hurt but neve rheard anything about Goldberg?
    And I like it much more know that all the old men (Hogan, Savage, Ric Flair) aren't wrestlaing anymore.

7. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

After the Von Erics either died or retired, I stopped watching. Now it is a completely different animal.

8. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

Sorry, Charlie, but these are the old men of wrestling:

Wahoo McDaniel

[​IMG]

Ernie Ladd

[​IMG]

Johnny Valentine

[​IMG]

http://www.wrestlingmuseum.com/homeie.html

#8 Behad, Aug 23, 2001
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 23, 2001
  9. GarageMan

GarageMan Member

I watch the WWF, mainly for a laugh. Yes the storylines are ridiculous, but isnt the storyline for any action blockbuster ridiculous. The way the WWF pulls off all these fake confrontations and the sheer athleticism of the competitors makes for entertaining TV. The ridiculous characters now exhibited on Raw and Smackdown do nothing but make me laugh. Funniest Wrestlers in the WWF:

1. Stone Cold (he's so mean and cranky now its just too funny)
    2. Kurt Angle (how funny was the milk truck)
    3. Booker T (he can't be serious can he?)

Other guys that make me laugh are William Regal, Tajiri, Edge and Christian, Big Show, Billy Gunn (he's such a tool) and The Rock, but his jokes are getting a bit old and repetitive.

If only Chris Jericho wasnt around. He's ******* annoying. Not so aggravating as Chris Benoit though. I hope he's not back anytime soon, I can't stand his crappy head, or his crappy moves, or his crappy personality.

10. 4chuckie

4chuckie Member

Newbiehad-
    What I meant was up until the last year Hogan, Flair & Savage were all wrestling on the WCW. Pretty bad to watch some has-beens trying to relive their glory days.

11. kbm

kbm Member

MR. WRESTLING II was rasslin'. That was the golden days boys. The "knee lift" was the most devastating move. Wham! The pretenders would fall to the canvas, knocked out! Yeah, you go Mr. Wrestling II.

Does anyone remember the first time the "red rooster" ... er ... Terry Taylor made an appearance on Houston Wrestling. I do. He said something like: I'm no Hacksaw Jim Duggen or Mr. Wrestling II, but I'm Terry Taylor and I'm here to stay. Then he kicked the ass of whoever was in the ring at the time. I can't remember who he fought, but dayum that was exicting.

What about Kamala the ugondon (sp) Giant? Man, those were the days.

12. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I love wrestling. I never miss it on Monday, Thursday, or PPV. We went to Wrestlemania and we have tickets to Smackdown in September. I can tell you why I like wrestling.

1. You never know what is going to happen and I enjoy the story lines. I admit that some of them are stupid but the majority of the stories are fun. If you watch occasionally then you really cant get into it like if you watched it regularly and just like anything else, they may be having a down night. This has rarely been the case since WWF bought WCW. The ECW swerve was probably the best RAW I have seen in a long time. I cant wait until HHH comes back and we see what happens with him. The story line between Jericho and Stephanie has been fun.

2. These guys are athletic, talented, and crazy. There are many times when I am just amazed at some of the things they do. Some of the psychology in the matches latelly have been great. If you havent seen a TLC match, you dont know what you are missing. Shane McMahon is a complete nut case with some of the bumps he takes. Kurt Angle vs Stone Cold at the most recent PPV SummerSlam was outstanding. The Rock vs Stone Cold at Wrestlemania X-Seven was hand down the best match I have ever seen. The drama and near falls had me screaming the whole time. HHH and Rock have had awesome matches. Chris Benoit/Chris Jericho vs HHH/Stone Cold was the best non PPV match in years.

3. The current roster is unreal and that is with HHH, Chris Benoit, and other WCW players out. Someone asked where Goldberg was. Many WCW guys (Goldberg, Nash, Flair) are still getting paid by AOL/Time Warner. They could accept a buyout on their contract but they would lose money. When their contracts are up, they could sign with the WWF and most likely will. Steiner is injured and when he is healthy is going to accept a buy out and sign with WWF. Flair will be up and the end of this year as is Nash. Goldberg is in another year or so. Back to the point at hand is that Kurt Angle is incredible. If you dont like this guy then I dont know what to tell you. Stone Cold has completely changed his persona and is a monster heel. He also has shown some great humor. The Rock is back and everyone knows his talent. Booker T is raw but has potential. Lance Storm has been lights out since joining the WWF. Rhyno, Tijiri, RVD, Test, Jericho, and many others have stepped it up a notch and are very worthy of a main event push. I think that the WWF needs another show just to showcase all of its talent.

4. The best is yet to come. HHH and Chris Benoit is coming back. Ric Flair vs Vince McMahon sometime next year. Steiner, Jarrett, Nash (possibly) and hopefully Goldberg (cross your fingers) will be back next year. You will see the the dream matches that you thought you would never see. You will see the real WWF vs WCW.

This is a very exciting time for wrestling fans. Wrestling is in a transition mode and so when you watch it, dont look for what you used to see. Be glad that they strive to give us something new. Get to know the new guys. Start to learn the story lines. Most of all have fun. That is what the WWF is for. I read a lot of wrestling web sites and so many people analyze and break down everything that they forget to watch it and have fun. There is nothing wrong with marking out. There are many people that are "closet wrestling watchers." I watch wrestling and I let people know it. If they dont like it or think that I am a dork, so be it. It makes my Monday and Thursday nights. The thing I find ironic and hilarious are my friends that used to make fun of me when I first started watching wrestling. You can guraun-damn-tee that there asses will be plopped on my couch to watch the PPV's. It didnt take much to get hooked, maybe with a different attitude you could get hooked again or for the first time too.

13. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That was weak. Freakin' knee lift and a stupid mask and over-weight pudgy body! Besides, didn't he have a loaded boot, too? Or was that some other masked guy? Either way, kbm you get NO love for Mr. Wrestling #2!

Kamala was pretty good for a foreign fat dude wrestler. But if you wanted a nasty foreign wrestler, Abdullah the Butcher was bad-ass.

Anyway, if you want the classic days of rasslin', you better bow to Jimmy "Superfly" Snuka!! That boy would fly off turnbuckles and cages 15-20 feet in the air across the ring and crack coconuts with his head!

The classic days of wrestling included the guy involved in some of the most bloodiest matches in the history of the game -- Bruiser Brody!

... oh God, I'm full throttle now... nothing can save you!

14. Stone Cold Hakeem

Stone Cold Hakeem Contributing Member

I watch it when I can, but I've been so busy lately, I haven't been able to keep up at all.

I know its pretty base entertainment, but I'm a neanderthal (at least according to my ex) so I guess its right at my level :eek:)