1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WR is in bad shape.

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Dankstronaut, Aug 21, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Yeah but then we had Arian Foster and Owen Daniels was a very good receiving TE.

Also the OL was excellent.

Plus Jacoby ended up disgraced, but he had a couple solid years as the deep threat.

2. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

I get what you're saying @Jatman20

I don't like those 2 excuses. First game / vs patriots. Basically going up against scrubs most of the game.

U only get 1 shot. Do not miss your chance to blow. -- Eminem

Riley has 2 games to either have them thinking he should make the Roster or he's def a practice squad receiver. Hope he does well.

Jatman20 likes this.
  3. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

We had 2 years of Andre and Hopkins together.

Astrodome likes this.
  4. Nimo

Nimo Member

Top 3 WRS in week 1 are Hopkins, Strong, and Miller. Ellington is your fourth. You also have to consider the RBs and TEs as pass catchers. I don't see any WRs available as FAs that are better options. Maybe after teams cut players.

5. conquistador#11

6. tamericus

tamericus Contributing Member

http://www.houstonchronicle.com/spo...g-up-to-Texans-receivers-in-camp-11948203.php

Dankstronaut likes this.
  7. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Since we are talking about the slot, why not just line up some of our speedy RB's there? What can Riley bring to the table that they can't?

RasaqBoi, Jatman20 and Aydge like this.
  8. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Let's play a game.

It's called "KW or DH"

These are real stat lines. Whose are they?

52 rec 802 yards 2 TDs

60 rec 899 yards 8 TDs

78 rec 954 yards 4 TDs

76 rec 1210 yards 6 TDs

65 rec 800 yards 4 TDs

51 rec 621 yards 5 TDs

Mr. Clutch likes this.
  9. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

To each their own. Glad you are not a Texans coach or GM. You would have snuffed out Wes Welker career
    before it started. Welker was lame starting his career with Miami/SD Chargers. Rome was not built overnight,
    nor was Welker's career.....nor Jerry Rice. If you read the article I posted. Riley hasbeen fighting an injury to his thumb.

10. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

I think Ervin is tailor made for a role like this anyway.

11. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

Well there is no rule that says you can't make a running back a receiver. Just like there is no rule that states
    you can't make a receiver into a running back. See Packers Ty Montgomery.

In theory you would like that slot receiver working the flats/ shallows be able to turn up field a take their mismatch
    into deeper territory. Most defensive backs are defensive backs and not receivers because they fail to catch
    consistently or at all. Can Hunt and/or Irving catch deep. I can't speak for them. I gave up on them as running
    backs last season and lost interest in noting their pass catching abilities. I posted an article in post #17
    of this thread in which it was noted by Texans coaching that McCarron has been battling a thumb injury
    and Feidorowicz mentioned how McCarron was making LB's look foolish out there.....taking
    pass routes up field.

Here is an article from 2012 in which the slot receiver in the NFL began to change into the mismatch it has become.
    Note the size variations: Victor Cruz is kinda like our Braxton Miller. The Patriots have used Amendola, Welker
    and Edelman in what the article refers to as shifty guy slot receiver,

https://www.profootballfocus.com/news/shaping-the-slot

It's all about mismatches. Braxton has speed, runs some good routes (often saw him run the wrong direction
    in his break), good size. I might favor Braxton next to Hopkins to force the safety near the line of scrimmage.
    This pits Hopkins to go against his corner defender while the free safety has to come over and play deep center
    fielder to both Strong/Ellington and Hopkins........or Hopkins goes one on one with that corner...with no back up.

One reason the Texans fall short of the class or level as the Patriots are is because of lack of slot receivers
    over the years. Another is the lack of or misuse of the TE's.

Texans could even have a Stephen Anderson as in-line TE; then bounce him out at the slot......getting
    the LB or Safety out in space.

#31 Jatman20, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
  12. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Welker got traded from the Dolphins cuz Belichek liked him.

For 1 Welker. 150000 failed.

That's like me as a Cougar Alumni getting so excited for Clyde Drexler coaching. Oh wait.... he was trash. Lol.

Not all ppl can coach. I have to give him a chance. Doesn't excite me. Could care less.

I like your arguments. Keep it coming. It's fair talk. I really do hope he does well but I haven't seen it.

13. Jatman20

Jatman20 Member

I'm not sure he will get a chance this weekend. Looks like McCarron, Hopkins, Braxton, Ellington, Streets and
    one more receiver are not practicing. I don't know where you live but I wish I lived in your area. I would have bet you a steak dinner Riley makes the team. Not like the Texans have a lot of options at slot receiver.

McCarron is the prototypical slot receiver to play in the Erhardt-Perkins scheme that the Texans run.

It's not about what Riley McCarron was taught up until 2 preseason games.....it's about what Riley McCarron
    will look like after 3 weeks of the season after continued coaching up by Welker and others.

Welker had no receptions in 15 games year one.....no starts.
    Welker had 29 receptions in 16 games (one start) in year two. Not exactly stellar.

I would expect Riley McCarron to get more than one catch/reception in 15 games this year.

#33 Jatman20, Aug 22, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2017
    PhiSlamma15 likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

The Florida Times Union's Ryan O'Halloran "guesses" the Jaguars are shopping Allen Hurns on the trade block.

Hurns has yet to play this preseason despite being relatively healthy. He missed a bunch of action last season due to a severe hamstring strain. GM Dave Caldwell just signed Hurns to a "five-year, $40.6 million" deal last June, but he appears to already be falling out of favor with guys like Marqise Lee playing well last season and rookie Dede Westbrook impressing this summer. Hurns likely wouldn't fetch much in the trade department coming off a really down 2016.

Contract

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

I get Allen Hurns & Allen Robinson mixed up

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Get er done Ricky bobby. Would be nice to take advantage of the jags right now. Trade for Hurns and he ends up balling out.
    Hop
    Hurns
    Fuller
    Miller
    Strong/Ellington

17. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

I'm over Jags leftover WR's...