1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOW - We have a winner

Discussion in 'Fantasy Sports' started by SmeggySmeg, Jan 1, 2001.

1. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Don't want to be premature or anything, but now that one the most lopsided trades in BF* fantasy league history has gone down (even worse than Stackhousegate) it is going to be real hard for anyone to catch DoD, thanks Playground for spoiling it for us all.

for those that missed it dr traded Howard, and used Penny and his only weakness Ervin Johnson to Playground for Finley and Sabonis, upgrading both his SF and Centre positions.

Smeg

------------------
    "What is it with this girl, has she got beer flavoured nipples??"
    - Heath Ledger in 10 things I hate about you

2. Summer Song Giver

I like the trade and it was me who was pushing for this trade to get done not DoD.I'm not concerned about how the trade hurts the league players but only with how it helps my team,and it can if Penny can play well.

------------------
    Now chew through my ball sack

3. SmeggySmeg

geez, i am glad removing Finley and Sabonis from you line-up and replacing them with Howard and Johnson and the remote possibility Penny will score 30 fantasy ppg by the end of the season is an upgrade, good for you SSG, great trade for you, GM of the year for you..........

------------------

[This message has been edited by SmeggySmeg (edited January 01, 2001).]

4. Summer Song Giver

First of all Sabonis wasn't in my lineup,so I removed Finley and am replacing him with Howard and Penny upon his return.

------------------

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

I've gotta agree with Smeg on this one. DoD cleaned up.

------------------
    My dream job is to be a Houston Rockets towel boy.

6. SmeggySmeg

Maybe there was cash or draft picks involved or maybe even future considerations, those being that when DoD wins the League he will include "I would like to thank everyone who made this win possible, especially my players, but most importantly i owe it all to SSG" in his acceptance speech.

------------------

7. Summer Song Giver

Whatever

------------------

8. The Voice of Reason

Im glad someone started this thread.

its a league killer trade.

on the other hand, I guess anything can still happen. however, My hopes have dropped

------------------
    Hanta-Force Paintball http://www.hanta-force.com

[This message has been edited by The Voice of Reason (edited January 01, 2001).]

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ok, ok guys... reality check here. I haven't improved my team that much.

Finley averages only about 5-6 more points per game than did Howard. Over the course of league games, that means I'll get about 10-12 more points from him.

Sabonis is only going to get me about another 8-10 more points than Ervin Johnson did. Over the course of league games that means I'll get 16-20 points more from him.

Consider also the fact he took what could end up being a 35-45 ppg scorer in Anfernee away from me.

So the trade effectively gives me about 26-32 more points per league game (without even counting my loss of Hardaway). Is that a lot? No, not really because I don't have the best team as it is. You've got people like Smeg and Crisco that hiccup 600-700 pt games weekly. Pimp has assembled a hell of a team, then you have fadeaway, Behad, and Bobo all with possibly better teams than me as is. I don't think I've ever even gotten a 600 point game (can't remember). If anything, this just pulls me closer to the "real" threats in the league, not pull me away from the league. If you don't agree, then just look at the total points scored by all the teams and tell me how I'm supposedly head-and-shoulders above everybody in this league? It's not like he gave me Shaq for peanuts!

------------------
    "I give up. Oh my holy hell I give up." -- Clutch expresses utter frustration in encountering difficulties trying to communicate across a damn bbs. (It's even funnier if you picture Homer Simpson saying it)

10. SmeggySmeg

When this season did he score 35 ppg let alone 45ppg???????

------------------

11. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

That's the point Smeg. He hasn't, but that's the gamble we're both taking. I'm betting he won't average the 40 he has been the past few seasons and definitely not in time for me to battle some of the better teams in the league, and he's betting that even getting 20-30 out of him per game would mean he got the upper hand in the trade. Hardaway is the gamble for both of us. He's not trying to win the league with this one trade, just trying to improve his own team. I'm just trying to hang on for dear life. This deal by no means means I've won anything. If Penny scores over 35-40 a game, then I probably made a mistake in trading him.

We'll see...

------------------
    "I give up. Oh my holy hell I give up." -- Clutch expresses utter frustration in encountering difficulties trying to communicate across a damn bbs. (It's even funnier if you picture Homer Simpson saying it)

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 01, 2001).]

12. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Ignore this post, I have no idea what it's doing here. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Dr of Dunk (edited January 01, 2001).]

13. SmeggySmeg

For myself and by the sounds of it Voice and Fadeaway, there is NO way Hardaway will average over 30 and I suspect that is why we feel it is such a lopsided trade.

------------------

14. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

I don't think its a horrible trade.

Penny will average 30 to 40 FP a game, it's just a question of when? By the time he gets back into form it may make any benefits of the trade moot. The timing of the trade could have been just a little better, that's all, like a week before Hardaway comes back or something.

SSG doesn't have that much to lose right now, so why not shake things up and roll the dice?

BTW, I'm still gonna kick Dood's ass, Finley or no.

------------------
    snap crackle pop

15. fadeaway

Another thing to consider is that up to now, Finley hasn't been playing quite as well as he usually does. He got off to a somewhat slow start and that is reflected in his lowered FP per game average. Recently, however, he has pulled out of his slump and has been putting up the kind of numbers he did all last season. Realistically, Finley isn't a 41 FP/g scorer -- he's actually closer to a 47-48 FP/g guy. Yet another reason why this trade is so lopsided.

------------------

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

fadeaway,

Yes, and realistically they now have Nowitzki and Nash firing up points this season; something Finley didn't have in past seasons. That's why Finley has been inconsistent as far as points are concerned this year. The inconsistencies in Finley's numbers you're seeing are realistic because it's caused by Nowitzki's and Nash's emergence.

------------------

17. fadeaway

DoD..

Maybe, maybe no. I think deep down inside you really agree with us and are just trying to defend the trade long enough for it to pass through the contesting period. [​IMG]

------------------

18. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

I was thinking the same thing, fadeaway. Last year I got Barkley for a couple of scrubs in a trade. I had half the owners screaming collusion! I had to defend that trade for 48 hours, then laughed my a$$ off afterwards.

(Of course, Barkley then went down for the year, but that's a different story.)

I get the same feeling about this trade.

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS

19. countingcrow

countingcrow Contributing Member

I am not part of your league and my opinion probably doesn't mean jack, but I thought that was pretty fair trade. Giving up Finley is not easy, and unless Penny comes back and puts up close to a 40 FP then this trade can be questioned. But I think Penny will do well when he comes back so I think SSG did well on his part. DoD came out like a bandit snagging Finley right now when he is at his hottest.

------------------

20. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

When the leader of the pack makes a trade that has him making "out like a bandit", then I cannot see where you can call that "a pretty fair trade".

------------------
    Behad
    Sergeant at Arms of the Clutch BBS