1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 13, 2016.

?

Would you trade Capela for Thon Maker?

1. Yes

86 vote(s)
    15.0%
  2. No

486 vote(s)
    85.0%
  1. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

We can agree that Capela is not perfect. I hate when he misses, but all players miss. No player in the league has every skill. It's all about putting them into positions where they can be most successful. Shooting 65% is successful and it's what Clint does and the positions he's put in make him that way. He can switch everything and finishes at an incredible rate doing what he's already doing. Why reinvent the guy when he's scoring at that percentage? Nobody in the league shoots better than him. Dude has the absolute best offense in the league doing what he does and his weakness in your mind is that he doesn't shoot threes.

I put together a list of all the players that play center and shot at least 100 threes last year:

Thon Maker .298
    Zach Collins .310
    Channing Frye .339
    Pau Gasol .358
    Dewayne Dedmon .355
    Myles Turner .357
    Mike Muscala .371
    Nikola Vucevic .314
    Joel Embiid .308
    Al Horford .429
    Marreese Speights .369
    Nikola Jokic .396
    Karl-Anthony Towns .421
    DeMarcus Cousins .354
    Marc Gasol .341
    Brook Lopez .345
    Kevin Love .415
    Dirk Nowitzki .409

Now the equivalent of shooting 65% from the 2 point territory is shooting 43.3% and none of these guys touch that. Of the guys that shoot really high percentages:
    Kevin Love can't finish at the rim or switch on defense like Clint.
    Karl-Anthony Towns straight sucks on defense and he's pretty unlikely to be traded.
    Nikola Jokic is untouchable.
    Al Horford would probably not be the good above the rim finisher that we use efficiently in our offense. He's also not a rebounder.

The more I look at it, the more I realize how special Clint is for us. I'm shocked you can't see it too. I really am because normally you try to call it like it is. In this case it feels like you're sticking to your guns from 3 years ago and not looking at what's changed.

I think this center shooting threes might be a little over-hyped. There's other ways to make centers successful in today's NBA and Clint is the literal perfect example. The new open space on the court you can pass into successfully is above the rim. Clint owns that space.

#621 don grahamleone, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
    BigMaloe, cmlmel77, YOLO and 2 others like this.
  2. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Like who? There is one player in the NBA who comes close to doing it, and he is garbage at 3pters, and he is an atrocious scorer. Oh and he pulls down less rebounds than Capela in more minutes.

3. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Who is this you're talking about? No need for riddles up in here.

4. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Not a lot of footage available but here’s a glimpse...

A little bit clumsier than Clint, but Yule c.

[​IMG]

topfive likes this.
  5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

PnR will never be a dinosaur play. Centers who can help guys like Harden drive to the basket will never be dinosaurs.

I think what you really mean is he can't be an All-Star or Superstar without shooting 3s. That's not the same thing, and it costs much more than $17m/yr, if you add that to what he already brings. Due to his great chemistry running PnR with Harden, we are getting tremendous value for that $17m spot in the team salary. And due to his dominance over KAT and Gobert, it's obvious he's still improving. I expect another shocking improvement this year, based on his playoff performance against those two.

#625 heypartner, Sep 8, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2018
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You are a waste of time

RudyTBag, fckbandwagons and topfive like this.
  7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm hopeful that Capela is working hard to improve his overall game. I'm looking forward to seeing him in training camp.
    His rebounding is very good, and his shot blocking is tremendous. His defensive rotations have gotten better too.

8. basketballholic

When I argued he wasn't a good rim protector....He was actually a poor rim defender. Nite he's improved somewhat. He's always been decent helping off. He's never been good when attached directly or when compacted underneath with no space.

Goal post hasn't moved. He is NOT a great defender. Just now reaching up to be an AVERAGE defender in the middle. IF he could actually become a great rim defender while becoming a good switch defender on smalls (he ain't), THEN he could also be worth his salary and become a true top 7 piece that we could use down the stretch to beat the Warriors.

But with us bulking him up......it's actually more likely that he could learn to shoot the 3 ball them that he morphs to a higher level defender. That's why I didn't mention the defense. K?

9. basketballholic

You have to consider the 3-ball in greater dimension than just comparing their finishing. It's the effect on the team on the shots the rest of the guys can get. That's the hidden value of the 3. Not to mention the increased offensive rebounding and the fact that in transition your big man can get van into the defensive paint so much quicker. These are all things that have not been fully quantified yet. But the best basketball people know them instinctively.

3-point shooting 7 footers is the rage. It will continue to grow. Dinosaurs will go away.

10. basketballholic

Portzingis and Davis are a lot closer to perfect than Clint.

And Qi could possibly be. Could be several guys.

11. basketballholic

Didn't say pnr is a dinosaur play. I said bigs that can't shoot are dinosaurs.

12. Swiss Roll

Swiss Roll Member

Thats funny considering Clint Capela lead all PF/Cs in WS/48 last year, edging out two #1 overall picks in Anthony Davis and Karl Anthony Towns, with "Dinosaur" Rudy Gobert not far behind them. How do you get that damn high without a 3 pointer? Having the highest eFG%, third highest BLK%, 5th highest TRB%, third highest ORTG, and fourth highest DRTG may account for that.

Do I also have to mention he led the team in WS/48 during the playoffs?

Capela ain't a dinosaur, hes The Mother****ing T-Rex!

13. heypartner

I didn't say you did.

btw: according to your defintion, Kerr just won a title with two dinosaurs (Bell/Looney), replacing other dinosaurs -- Pachulia, and McGee, who won the previous year. And the title before Cupcake was won with Tristan Thompson getting 32mpg vs the Warriors.​

What I'm saying is no center is a dinosaur who can run PnR at Capela's level, because *that* simple play (with it's advanced variations that Capela also does so well) is still the most potent play in the game. Dwight Howard is a dinosaur. Bigs who can only shoot and do nothing else are dinosaurs, too.

I still say your criteria of shooting (or tremendous passing) is the criteria of making All-star, and you'd be correct. Capela won't make All-Star providing spacing for guards no matter how elite his PnR play is. But, he also isn't being overpaid like Gobert and Adams -- hitting our cap at a tremendous $5m-$10m less per year.

#633 heypartner, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
    don grahamleone, BigMaloe and topfive like this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dinosaur? Nope. Dinosaur more describes Asik. A center does not have to hit 3ptrs to be successful if he can defend and provide vertical space. Capela does not need to shoot 3's. He needs to double down on his skills and continue to improve on his stamina.

Would it be great to have Anthony Davis? Sure.

15. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

Dont listen to things that non contributing members say

16. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Bigs that can't shoot are dinosaurs, unless they are Holic personal favorites like Cole Aldrich, Nerlens Noel or Cody Zeller.

Neither of which can shoot, but that doesn't suit this argument, does it Holic? :D

BigMaloe, Deuce and topfive like this.
  17. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

It’s reasonable to expect capela to hit 3s

18. amaru

amaru Member

No but I would take Maker on this team.

19. heypartner

I think it's more reasonable to see the next-level improvement from things we've already seen. Let's not bite on 'holic's criteria, as if it defines an allowable domain of thought. Only rookies do that.

I expect increased amounts of high-post play-making ... his passing to cutters (especially Harden playing off-ball) is one of the more under-the-radar roles MDA has been putting him in. We also saw Capela's confidence growing in sealing as an additional Option off the PnR. We may never see Capela get straight low post plays, but Harden/MDA used to completely bypass him on plays when defense covered initial vertical threat, using it just to get the D moving. But, in the playoffs, we saw the Rockets persist on getting him the ball if he sealed someone or otherwise got a quick-hit move look at the rim.

#639 heypartner, Sep 9, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2018
  20. dmoneybangbang

The important thing is that Capela for Thon as of 9/9/18 1224PM is some dumb sh*t to say.