1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Kyrie winning MVP over Harden be a travesty?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by swyyyguy, Nov 16, 2017.

1. rockpileindisma

True but harden consistently gets disrespected. ESPN had cp3 higher up in their rankings than harden...THIS off season lol, insane

DonKnock likes this.
  2. JayAllJay

JayAllJay Member

WTF! Kyrie is not even close in the race

Please look at the stats

DonKnock likes this.
  3. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Lol monica @swyyyguy

4. Daddy Long Legs

Daddy Long Legs H- Town Harden

I dont think so. As of today we have the 2nd best net rating in all of the nba. We are 2nd on offense and 8 on defense currently. It seems to be sustainable.

As of today Celtics are 1st in defense and 19th in offense. They are 4th in net rating and rely on some dudes who arent even old enough to drink. I think that will catch up to them.

I think we can have more success over the 82 game schedule but we shall see

BigMaloe, DonKnock, Hmc415 and 2 others like this.
  5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Dallas Stein ladies and gentlemen. As lame as it is predictable.

DonKnock likes this.
  6. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

7. mrm32

mrm32 Member

Our team hasn't sucked enough in the first 43 minutes of a game for Harden to be on that list. I'm okay with that.

DonKnock, D-rock, arubato and 14 others like this.
  8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Stats don't matter this year. For many...the goalposts have been moved again. This was expected, and it's why Harden will lose again.

#188 J Sizzle, Nov 22, 2017
    Last edited: Nov 22, 2017
    DonKnock, D-rock, Deuce and 3 others like this.
  9. swyyyguy

swyyyguy Member

Me too. :)

mrm32 likes this.
  10. Rockets4Life13

Kyrie hasn't even been the best Celtic smh. Media is just so dumb. I wonder if they even watch games?!

11. rockpileindisma

They don't watch the games. Hell even our sports talk guys on 790, the home of the rockets don't even watch the ****ing games. Bunch of fat nerds

12. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

There is no way Kyrie wins the mvp, he won't even finish in top 3

BigShasta likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

LOL silly Rockets fans!

The MVP is the bestplayeronthebestteambeststatstripledoubleclutch...ah hell, criteria number 1 is just "not James Harden" now stfu and give Barkley his $3 million.

:(

DonKnock and Rockets4Life13 like this.
  14. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

Sigh.... so much complaining, but at the same time I completely understand why it's frustrating.

The argument for Kyrie is that he's clutch, and that he's been more clutch than Harden this season (Kyrie has been the most clutch player this season so far.) The counterargument to that argument is that Harden has been so good throughout the entirety of the game that the Rockets rarely need to play those clutch minutes (49 mins vs 19 mins.) The counterargument to that counterargument is that Harden has a better team around him, so of course the Rockets are outplaying teams through all 4 quarters.

My counterargument to that counterargument is that the Celtics are better than (or at the very least comparable to) the Rockets when Kyrie is off the court compared to when Harden is off the court. (Celtics are +1.2 in 18 minutes with Kyrie off the court vs the Rockets who are +0.6 in 12 minutes with Harden off the court)

As far as I can see there isn't much of a counterargument to that one yet... I mean, the Celtics play a whole ass 18 minutes with Kyrie off the court, and still have a positive plus/minus differential. 18 minutes is more than 1/3rd of an average NBA game. You CAN'T use the "his team isn't as good" argument here because unlike the Thunder last season with Russ off the court the stats say completely otherwise. (The Thunder were -2.3 with Russ off the court last season)

Another argument that someone could use for Kyrie is that the Celtics are without all-star Gordon Hayward. First, I will completely disregard the fact that Houston has played without about 14 games without CP because the counterargument I will use against that is that before Gordon Hayward signed to the Celtics they previously won 53 games and made it to the ECF without Gordon Hayward.

The counterargument to that counterargument is that the Celtics lost Isaiah Thomas, Jae Crowder, Avery Bradley, and Kelly Olynk who were all integral parts to the ECF run. Tru, they did. But my counterargument to that counterargument is that they gained Kyrie Irving who is superior to Isaiah Thomas, Jaysum Taytum who right now is better than Jae Crowder and possibly last season as well, Jaylen Brown who is having a breakout year and might be as good as Bradley, and Marcus Morris though he's been pretty bad so far.

As far as I can see there isn't a clear counterargument to that one yet other than maybe chemistry issues, but Brad Stevens is a better coach than MDA so it evens out. I just can't for the life of me see an argument for Kyrie over Harden because he's a. clutch or b. playing without Hayward. Those arguments can be broken down very quickly.

The ONLY argument I can see for Kyrie is if someone said that the Celtics are better than the Rockets thus the best player on best team argument. That's another discussion, and one that could actually be discussed and go either way. (Both teams are leading their respective conferences, and also beat the Warriors once so far this season. Both are legit.)

So, fellow CF brethren. I know yall be out there in full attack mode on other social platforms. Yall can quote, rephrase, echo, reiterate, cite, and ect. these previous paragraphs if yall want

durvasa likes this.
  15. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Here's a media member confirming lack of objectivity

16. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

DonKnock and J Sizzle like this.
  17. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Buy, sell or hold Kyrie will win MVP?]

Cowherd:

Well I'm looking at the numbers here: 22 a game, 5 assists, 38% from 3, ... What does the NBA, the people who vote on the MVP, what do they really like? They like stories. Russell Westbrook last year was a great story. Derrick Rose was a great story over LeBron. There is no question that Kyrie Irving in the East leaving LeBron & now putting up these numbers, long winning streaks is the best story in the NBA. [BUY BUY BUY.] Kyrie Irving will win the MVP. I don't think there's any question about that. Here's what we know about the NBA: it's done a great job through the years to market stars & create story-lines. The LeBron story is fatigued. They mail in the regular season. They're not gonna give it to him. Westbrook last year, no one thought they'd beat the Warriors but Westbrook was a great story. Kevin Durant leaves him at the altar, here he is, got a chance. Kyrie Irving far & away the best story in the NBA.

DonKnock and Deuce like this.
  18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't see James Harden's name in that paragraph

BigMaloe and Deuce like this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

media conspiracy

20. Obito

Obito Contributing Member

I bet Zach Lowe is going to write 3 pieces throughout the season about how great and efficient Harden is, not vote for the the media's favorite, that being Kyrie or Giannis, just because he's a hip and cool contrarian yet still won't give Harden the 1st place vote & vote for someone like Draymond Green because he wants to be a rebel and say something like "he's the real reason the team runs".

He'll make up some stupid statistic with charts explaining how Draymond's arches his 3s more so when he misses, he guarantees they get an extra possession. "He just does all of the little things". I can already see that bullshit.

**** sports media, they're fake and unjust. I hate all of them.

Daddy Long Legs likes this.