1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would it be better to split the country?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 14, 2018.

?

Would it be best to split America into two separate countries and create an American Union (aka EU)

1. Yes

22.2%
  2. No

74.1%
  3. Not Sure / Undecided

3.7%
  1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's thirty to forty percent genetic in terms of being liberal (open to new ideas and cultural experiences) and conservative (more predisposed to social order and structured hierarchies). The rest is environmental.

I heard it from this podcast I was thinking of sharing in that civil thread.
    https://www.npr.org/templates/transcript/transcript.php?storyId=654127241

2. Andre0087

Andre0087 Member

Red states like Kansas, right? The conservative utopia...

3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have one issue with twin studies, and that's the assumption that identical twins aren't more likely to conform to one another (because they are identical) than fraternal. Not saying there is no genetic component, but I am not sure this study proves it.

4. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

5. Hakeemtheking

Hakeemtheking Member

I am more liberal than conservative, but I embrace many conservative principles or notions (e.g. against affirmative action). Like you, I'm all for splitting the USA since the current political system does not appear to be working for 50% of the people. Keep a joint military for mutual protection, but that's about it.

Where do I sign?

6. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

Good idea, worked out really nicely last time.

jcf, Space Ghost and Deckard like this.
  7. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

No joke, my TX county is California expatville with a few Yankees mixes in. They're everywhere.

8. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

It also depends how you define genetic, environmental/epigenetic.

For example response to stress and stress hormones and frontal cortex development all have heritable epigenetic aka environmental aspects to them. It can be blurry where genetics truly take effect.

I’ll try to post more later if I can

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Yeah, it's a bit glib to encapsulate it all into a percentage. The scientist that makes the claim likens it to which hand you use to write and height.

Nonetheless, there are perceptual predispositions that determines where a person is on the political spectrum where genetics plays a significant influence and it's not purely environmental. I believe it's easier to let go of the gamesmanship and be more open to what the other is saying and perceiving with that in mind.

10. cml750

cml750 Member

As long as they realize why they needed to move here and vote accordingly, I say welcome.

11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

As opposed to just going to work, patronizing local businesses and paying their taxes and mortgages.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

No, red states pay extra to relocate them. They finally realized the need for doctors, teachers and computer programmers once the federal courts forced them to enfranchise and acknowledge multiple generations of native born, law-abiding, tax-paying non-whites and indigenous people. Stop streaming Alex Jones and crack open a middle-school social studies textbook every once in a while.

#73 Dairy Ashford, Oct 27, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2018
  14. Severe Rockets Fan

Severe Rockets Fan Takin it one stage at a time...

History says it will happen eventually whether we want to or not. If you want to rush it, sure, why not. We'll all be okay in the end.