1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Hakeem Take Deferred Payment Like Barkley?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by MManal, May 24, 2001.

1. MManal

MManal Member

Just wanted to throw this out there. Barkley took 1 mil to get Pippen, then was rewarded with a 9 mil contract the following year, would Hakeem do something similar to get Webber? Lets say Hakeem thinks he's worth 7 mil a season, would he take 2 mil next season with the promise of receiving 12 mil the season after?

------------------
    Check out the Best Source for Draft Info

Draftsource.net

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Would Joe Smith take deferred payment?

shhhhhh

3. Glyde22

Glyde22 Contributing Member

Two words "Joe Smith"

------------------

4. HOOP-T

HOOP-T Member

90 days same as cash

------------------
    My doctor says I am bipolar. I am going to get a second opinion. I have never had intimate desires for polar bears.

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hopefully, Dream and the Rockets wouldn't be so stupid as to write that down in a contract and have everyone sign it. No action was taken when Barkley did it; why would they do anything if we signed Olajuwon like that?

That said, I don't think Olajuwon will do it. Oh well.

------------------
    RealGM
    Gafford Art
    Artisan Cakes

6. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Why wouldn't he? 14 mil is 14 mil it doesn't matter how you devide it. And it is not like he is in debt and needs all the money upfront now. If he new that he was going to be able to get all that he was asking just not all at once he should be ok with that as long as it is to improve the team.

------------------

7. vj23k

vj23k Contributing Member

I highly doubt its about the money, but his ego and pride.

He doesn't see himself as a 4.5 exception, but as a 10 mil per year all-star.

------------------
    Never Underestimate the Heart of a Champion

8. MManal

MManal Member

The magic number would be around 3 mil for the first year. Since the Rockets have an option to make Carlos Rogers a free agent, here's how it could play out if Hakeem cooperates. This is the payroll breakdown I calculated based on RealGM numbers. Note the amount for Moochie is what he is unsigned. The Rockets can undertake their other transactions then sign Mooch for up to 4.5 mil even if they exceed the cap.

Pick 22 751,500
    Olajuwon 3,000,000
    Pick 13 1,149,500
    Mobley 4,412,880
    Francis 3,473,520
    Cato 6,000,000
    Collier 1,280,067
    Langhi 465,850
    Webber 12,600,000
    Thomas 946,920
    Williams 5,000,000
    Norris 680,550
    Maloney 2,543,750

Total 42,304,537

------------------

Draftsource.net

9. ZRB

ZRB Contributing Member

10. MManal

MManal Member

ZRB, the Rockets can exceed the cap to re-sign Moochie, thats his unsigned value as I stated in the last sentence of the first paragraph.

"Note the amount for Moochie is what he is unsigned. The Rockets can undertake their other transactions then sign Mooch for up to 4.5 mil even if they exceed the cap."

------------------

Draftsource.net

11. GATER

GATER Contributing Member

MManal,
    I'm probably missing something technical, but why couldn't Dream and Moochie be reversed? Sign Moochie to $3M and give Dream the $4.5M exception when we're over the cap.

IMHO, a smaller but longer contract would get Moochie "inked".

Is the exception only for 1 year and thus not attractive to Dream?

------------
    Raef to Rocks in '01-'02!

[This message has been edited by GATER (edited May 25, 2001).]

12. Mango

Mango Contributing Member

OT and aelliott have pointed out that the 4.5 million exception is lost if the Rockets fall far enough under the cap. Renouncing Dream to get him eligible, thus puts them far enough under the cap were the 4.5 million exception disappears.

http://bbs.clutchcity.net/ubb/Forum3/HTML/012967.html

OT wrote:

"I hate to see Dream go and I hope that they can work something out. I think ZRB was wrong about him signing for the $4.5mil exception. Don't we lose that exception when we renounce our rights to Dream and fall below the cap?"

aelliott response:

"....You are correct. If we fall below the cap by more than the combined amount of our exceptions (just under $7M), then we lose exceptions for the season and can't get them back."

Mango

------------------
    Get it right or just don't do it!
    Resistance is futile....you will be assimilated.
    Start more Webber threads!

13. MManal

MManal Member

Gater, this has nothing to do with the exception b/c it is gone once the Rockets fall far enough under the cap. The Rockets have to renounce or re-sign Hakeem FIRST before anything can happen. Thus, Hakeem can only be signed onto salary cap space. This is not the situation where you can sign everyone else first and then exceed the cap for Dream. The method the Rockets have to choose is to say, ok Webber wants to come here, in order to sign Webber, fit Moochie's unsigned amount and have enough for the draft picks, Hakeem can only get x dollars. Since he is on cap room and not signed by some exception or what not, the Rockets can pull the Barkley maneuver of giving Hakeem a higher contract next summer.

After all that is done, Moochie still is unsigned. Since his last yr's salary was so low, his unsigned amount is also very low. The Rockets arent using an exception to re-sign Moochie, its simply the fact that since he has 2 yrs of service with this team, they can exceed the cap and sign him for up to the league average salary.

------------------

Draftsource.net

[This message has been edited by MManal (edited May 25, 2001).]