1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would drafting HSers in this way work?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by mr_gootan, Jun 14, 2001.

1. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

I hate to see these high schoolers miss out on education for the money. Granted they could go to school after their careers, but how many really do?
    What if NBA teams were required to "sponsor" their drafted high-schoolers for three years of college. That would include tuition, room/board, base stipend and all they had to do was maintain a gpa high enough for them to play. If they don't pass, then they don't get to show their stuff. There could also be a requirement where they had to attend a college in the same state as their highschool's. (Some teams could be cheap and send them to some small, no-name school, but then they couldn't gauge against decent competition.)
    After the three years, the NBA team would have a choice to keep him and pay him a long-term high salary(Plus he gets the difference from his three year contract and expenses in "schooling", like a trust fund) or let him go (into the draft or free agency) and still pay him the difference from his agreed contract.

Thus it would behoove him to make good grades, so he can have a chance to play well.

Ways around the rule:
    -Attend college for one or more years and declare.
    -Work on your game for a year or more, then declare.(I also suggest a GED req. if no diploma.)
    -not be a U.S. Citizen.

It would be like a investment in this kid's future (Tutoring, strengthening, legal). But then again, you can't keep people from earning money if they want to.
    What made me think about this? I was just thinking back to old NBA drafts when they had like 12? rounds.

------------------
    I'M COOKING WITH GAS...

2. Toast

Toast Member

What about the guys who graduate high school, but probably wouldn't get accepted to any college?

------------------
    Founding Father of the
    Refs Suck Club

3. mr_gootan

mr_gootan Member

Yeah, that's a tough situation.
    If they could just hold out for one year(work on their game, get stronger, practice free throws) then they could enter the draft the next year. If their environment isn't conducive to "hangin out" for a year, then they could try to get their GED in their junior year. Then their senior year is their
    "waiting" year. I'm sure I'm being unrealistic and impractical.

------------------
    I'M COOKING WITH GAS...

4. tozai

tozai Member

NO, some of these kids don't want to go to college. If you're looking at it as a need so they can further their education, then that's bs because most players in college take bs majors anyway. If you're looking at college as necessary as a developmental league,you are somewhat right, but I think the NBA should set up their own minor league just like in baseball and other sports.

------------------