1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would Biggio already be at 3000 hits if he never had the leg kick in his bat stance?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by JBIIRockets, Jul 27, 2005.

?

Would Biggio already be at 3000 hits if he never had the leg kick in his bat stance?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    13.0%
  2. No

40 vote(s)
    87.0%
  1. JBIIRockets

JBIIRockets Contributing Member

I really believe that he would already be there. The guy is a better hitter now than he has been in his career. The stats don't say that but he's also in his late 30s. Through observation, I just think getting rid of the leg kick has made Biggio better at fighting off pitches, on say 2-2 counts.

My only concern is that he struggled offensively from august to the end of the season last year. Hopefully Phil gives him more days off this year during this stretch.

2. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

biggio wouldn't be anywhere close to 3,000 if it wasn't for that short porch.

he should be eating at landry's every night to properly appreciate it...his home/away split #s are ridiculous.

Home: 185 AB, .317 BA, 16 HRs, 40 RBIs
    Away: 181 AB, .243 BA, 1 HR, 6 RBIs

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Impossible to tell. It could just be that, through age, his swing got naturally slower and he needed to speed it up. This could be done with eliminating the high kick. It allows him to stay back longer. He was able to do that in his "prime" years because he had more bat speed then.

4. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Biggio would probably have more hits and walks if he did not get hit-by-pitch so often.

5. Buck Turgidson

2002-2005 hits:

313 home
    278 road

6. Oski2005

Oski2005 Contributing Member

How does the short porch get him more hits? Obviously, it helps his homerun totals, but 15 more homeruns isn't going to make the difference in batting average. Where did you get your #s btw? Biggio has 16 HRs total and 45 RBIs.

7. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

Dude, bashing Biggio is so March.

8. msn

msn Member

In the mid-1990s, baseball folks were using tape of Biggio at the plate to teach hitters. His was considered one of the best pure stances and form. I don't have a link, but I remember seeing it mentioned several times on national broadcasts, etc.

9. NJRocket

NJRocket Contributing Member

where was the short porch in the dome? :rolleyes:

10. Buck Turgidson

Check out his hit chart here: http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/stats...chart.jsp?c_id=mlb&playerID=110987&statType=1 (just look at XBH, singles & outs create a lot of clutter for this demonstration)

He probably has 7 or so Crawford Box aided HRs this year, of those a couple probably would have been outs in other parks, but the others would probably have been off the wall for 2Bs if not HRs anyway. He's had a couple of HRs turned into 2B & 3B by the well & wall in LCF.

Both teams play in the same park...the Crawfish Boxes giveth, and the Crawfish Boxes taketh away. Things like "cheap" HRs tend to even out b/t the Astros & the opposition over time anyway.

11. hoopgod13

hoopgod13 Contributing Member

Not bashing...i love the dude...one of my fav baseball players ever. But the crawford boxes have def helped him out a bit in the twilight of his career.

my bad about the #'s...i thought ESPN's stats didn't include last nights game so i added them in incorrectly

12. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Biggio has averaged 177 hits per year (including his injury year) in 619 at bats. This year he is projected to get 162 hits in 579 at bats so he is roughly at the same pace as he always has been. He is also striking out at roughly the same rate as he always has.

13. T_in_Charlotte

T_in_Charlotte Contributing Member

I wonder if how much closer to 3000 he would be if he hadn't played in the Dome for so long. Have to think a few of those long flies would have been homers in another park. That's why I don't care if he gets cheapies in the Crawford Boxes.

14. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

EDIT: I read your post wrong, but it's still kinda relevant.

Actually i think alot of those homers in the juice box would of just added to his insane doubles collection in the dome.

But you have to give the guy credit, he's learned how to utilize that short porch better than anyone on the team. I think Morgan's got it down this year.

Biggio should be our designated short porch batting coach when he retires! ;)