1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Worst NBA Owner of Recent Vintage

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by SamFisher, Dec 8, 2010.

?

Worst NBA Owner of Recent Vintage?

1. Donald Sterling

76 vote(s)
    81.7%
  2. George Shinn

10 vote(s)
    10.8%
  3. James Dolan

7 vote(s)
    7.5%
  1. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

probably others I'm forgetting. Tale of the tape:

2. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Micheal Heisley deserves mention.

The link does....

can't blame him too much for the move from Vancouver (though i do ;)) -- but it took less than a year to break the pledge he made on buying the team. And he's been no better in Memphis.

dishonest....cheap...and unsuccessful. Yeah...

3. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

As hilarious as the Knicks were, it's pretty hard to top Donald Sterling.

4. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

If we're counting bald-faced liars, throw in Clay Bennett who bought the Sonics with no intention of negotiating in good faith to stay in Seattle. He's at least running a successful franchise, but that was the Sonics he destroyed.

Still Sterling easily takes the cake on worst owner. In addition to being a terrible human being, he doesn't even try to win. I don't know whether to pity Clippers fans for their misfortune or despise them for their gullibility.

5. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sterling by a mile.

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I don't know about gullibility. I mean sure, there must be some. But a smart guy like Bill Simmons is a self-proclaimed Clippers fan (although he really is a Celtics fan). I think a lot of Clippers fans just despise the Lakers for their snobbishness and root for the Other Team.

7. SamFisher

It's a testament to how awful sterling is that he's the runaway winner. Probably should have known that without even startign the thread.

8. da_juice

da_juice Member

Sterling. By far. The NBA should just combine the Clippers and Hornets.

9. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Contributing Member

Sterling FTW, or loss however you want to look at it. Big business is not for the weak.

10. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

good point! though he at least feigned the issue of a new arena -- and doesn't (yet) have the futility record of Mr. H. Sonics were a historied franchise though that fell to the NBA powerplay of buildings over people :(.

Sterling was my choice too -- but I'm leaning more towards Dolan. Sterling has no interest in winning, and is a despicable person, but strictly as an owner -- all he does is give LA a trendily bad, though financially stable, team, and the rest of the league a few more wins. Dolan messes up 'market value' of mediocre players for all teams. I'm not sure if being a dispensary of bad contracts compensates for that.

11. ind0fo0

ind0fo0 Contributing Member

12. SunsRocketsfan

at least Sterling has Blake Griffin.. that guy is just awesome!
    But I agree worst owner has to be hands down Donald Sterling. Worse GM however is without a doubt Isiah.

13. SamFisher

It all depends on if you give Dolan points for trying, yet being horrendously misguided about it and wrecking the franchise, or Sterling, who had nothing to destroy, consequently didn't even try and basically uses his team as an ATM.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Shinn and Dolan may be bad owners, but Sterling is a piece of **** as a human being.

15. clippy

clippy Member

The other Clipper fans I've met are collectively some of the more knowledgeable NBA followers, which makes some sense since clueless fans are typically just following the bandwagon and that is not an issue with the Clippers. Also explains why Laker fans are collectively by far the dumbest sports base.

I follow(ed) the Clippers because they are a cheap ticket, a local team, the definitive underdog, and sometimes not that bad to watch. Also, I hate the Lakers. About half the people in the stands are either casual fans or are rooting for the other team, though. Maybe that will change with the Griffin era.

16. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Clay Bennett should definitely be on this list. He gutted the city of Seattle by feigning interest in staying, when in reality, he had no intention of ever staying put. Donald Sterling just needs to die. Seriously, I don't EVER say that about a person, but he's somebody who the Earth would be a better place without.

17. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

But, wouldn't you like to contend occasionally? It's been awhile for the Rockets, but they've at least done it before and making genuine efforts. You know a priori that the Clippers will not contend, that the owner is not interested in winning. Isn't that demoralizing? I know it's fun to watch big-upside rookies coming into their own on your team -- I had a blast watching Francis/Mobley -- but that's because you can daydream about how awesome they'll be in their prime once they've cut down on their TOs and are contending for a championship. With the Clippers, you know that's not going to happen - not on your team anyway.

18. thething

thething Contributing Member

Robert Sarver.

Selling those draft picks was horrible for the Phoenix franchise.

19. br0ken_shad0w

br0ken_shad0w Member

-Only 4 playoff appearances in a sport where over half the league makes it.
    -Shares the same city with the most successful team in NBA history.
    -An owner who's not only cheap, but a POS too.

If you want to know what it's like to be a Clippers fan, imagine a boot stomping on a human face - forever.

20. clippy

clippy Member

Of course, which is largely why I'm not a fanatic of the team as I was years ago. But the owner isn't the final say... talent is. For example, in 2006 the Clippers had a fluke year and actually could have won the title-- they won the 1st round and went to 7 in the second. If they had won that (which they should have but botched a play in 2OT in game #5), they would have had to beat Dallas, then Miami. Probably the easiest road the Finals ever. But it wasn't meant to be.

I think the team is exciting now and actually has a real chance to win. Sterling is a cheap ass ****ity ****, but he'll pay money for players that will fill the seats.