1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

world hunger, pollution, and war....b/c of developed countires?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by VinceCarter, Oct 17, 2005.

1. VinceCarter

VinceCarter Member

i thought this was an interesting article.

just wondering if anyone know's why there are sanctions against Zimbabwe?cause of the seizure of the farms???

http://www.cnn.com/2005/WORLD/africa/10/17/un.mugabe.ap/index.html

ROME, Italy (AP) -- The leaders of Zimbabwe and Venezuela on Monday denounced President Bush and British Prime Minister Tony Blair as "unholy men," and blamed the United States and other developed countries for world hunger, pollution and war.

President Robert Mugabe of Zimbabwe and Venezuela's Hugo Chavez turned their speeches at the U.N. Food and Agriculture Organization into tirades, with the African leader describing Blair and Bush as "two unholy men of our millennium."

Chavez accused what he called "the North American empire" of threatening "all life on the planet," while Mugabe compared Bush and Blair, for their alliance in the war in Iraq, to Germany's Adolf Hitler and Italy's Benito Mussolini, who were World War II allies.
    U.S. representatives at the U.N. organization's gathering in Rome said Mugabe and Chavez made "a mockery" of the occasion with their scathing remarks.

The gathering, a day after the United Nations marked World Food Day, commemorated the organization's 60th anniversary.

The verbal attacks by Chavez and Mugabe drew cheers and applause from many of the delegates. The organization has 188 members.

"These leaders chose to politicize an event that was meant to be about feeding the hungry people of the world," Tony Hall, the U.S. ambassador to U.N. food agencies, told The Associated Press in a telephone interview.

"Mugabe, especially, should not have been invited," Hall said. "He would be the last person, I think, an organization should invite to talk about hunger."

A defiant Mugabe defended the land reforms blamed for ruining the country's agriculture-based economy and contributing to widespread famine there.

Agreement avoids restrictions
    The European Union has imposed sanctions on Zimbabwe's political elite that include travel restrictions. But an agreement between Italy and the U.N. agency allows all delegations to go to the organization's headquarters, FAO spokesman Nick Parsons said.
    Despite the restrictions, Mugabe has been allowed to do some travel in the countries that imposed the sanctions, including U.N. General Assembly sessions in New York.

The seizure of white-owned commercial farms in the past five years and prolonged drought have crippled Zimbabwe's agriculture-based economy. About 4 million Zimbabweans are in urgent need of food aid in what was once a regional breadbasket, according to U.N. estimates.

Recent constitutional changes in Zimbabwe will prevent white owners of confiscated farms from recovering their land and could be used to strip critics of their passports and the right to travel.

Mugabe defended the land reforms as "redressing the past gross imbalances in land ownership which were institutionalized by British colonialism."
    "Countries such as the U.S. and Britain have taken it upon themselves to decide for us in the developing world, even to interfere in our domestic affairs and to bring about what they call regime change," he said.
    Chavez praised Mugabe's land reform, saying the African leader had been "demonized" and that similar reforms were being enacted in his own country.

The Venezuelan leader used his speech to rail against woes that he blamed on rich countries -- including climate change, agricultural trade barriers and debt interest payments by developing nations. He called for wealthy nations to cancel debt, or give poor countries a grace period of at least a year on the interest payments.

Brazilian president focuses on hunger
    Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva appealed to rich countries to put hunger on their political agendas. He also suggested poor countries should stamp out the corruption that often diverts aid.

"The poor countries must give an example of honesty, of ethics, so that we truly deserve the solidarity from millions and millions of people who would like to contribute but sometimes are not sure their money will go where it should go," the Brazilian leader said.

The U.N. agency said it had signed a deal with Brazil to run food programs for schoolchildren in developing countries around the world.

2. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

They were going to give him the Nobel Peace Prize and Most Favored Nation trading status.....until they realized that he wasn't giving blacks' farm land to whites, but in fact exactly the opposite!

3. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, some would argue that the reality of world politics is "jungle law": the strong feeds off the weak (which I think is essentially true). Basically, this is what some would argue: in order for 'hegemons' to stay on top, they must either dominate other countries or make them too dependent on them for their own survival (a tactic employed by every major power in the world throughout history, even today).

It's irrelevant which countries are doing it, for it's been done by every major power that's existed in the world.

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

basically the idiot made a horrible move to satisfy people's emotions in his country and in doing so he crippled his nation's food production and now he is blaming it on us. what a great leader mugabe is.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Chavez shot himself in the foot by praising Mugabe, who is worthy of Saddam status. Why haven't we invaded Zimbabwe??

Keep D&D Civil.

6. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

i personally blame mankind for screwing each other over for quite some time now.

7. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Ridiculous. Makes no sense.

8. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Developed natiosn are primarily responsible for pollution. Supporting Mugabe is idiotic, and blaming developed nations for world hunger only tells on thousandth of the hole story there, so it is ludicrous to point the finger on that one.

9. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Pollution - ok I can see that
    War - well . . . hey do some instigating .. but dumbasses don't have to fight if they don't want too
    Poverty? , , POVERTY? don't we grow WAY MORE than we can eat?
    Don't we export ALOT of it?

Maybe. . i could be crazy but . . MAYBE
    If you spent Gov Money on FOOD instead of GUNS
    then your poverty would go away

Rocket River

10. Mr. Clutch

They are just blaming others for their own problems. Of course, it is very hard to fix these problems, but blaming the big bad US will only make it harder.

11. Agent94

Agent94 Member

We have screwed over many countries. Here is how it works. A third world nation get in debt. The World Bank and IMF give them relief if they introduce economic reforms. The reforms include things like free trade for agricultural. We subsidise agriculture, so they can't produce it cheaper than we can.
    Their agriculture sector goes into the tank.

Thats not what happened in Zimbabwe. Mugabe is just an idiot and took away land from farmers and gave it to non-farmer.

12. Bullard4Life

Bullard4Life Member

That's exactly the problem. Via heavy government subsidies American agrobusinesses flood third world markets with cotton, corn, and other crops. Since third world governments can't susidize at the rate the US government can, they undercut domestic farmers. This leaves thousands upon thousands of families with no source of income and exacerbates problems that were already pretty bad in those countries.

http://www.oxfam.org.uk/what_we_do/issues/trade/bp30_cotton.htm

Oxfam lays out one good example of the horros globilazation can cause. And before the conservatives start bashing me for being a treehugger, they should realize that farm subsidies are one of the most indefensible forms of croporate welfare out there. We continue to prop up an industry via government funding which does not allow "the market" to dictate the direction of growers. If farmers weren't so important for winning midwestern elections, this bull crap would have ended a long time ago.

13. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well I think to be accurate Chavez praised the land reforms in Zimbabwe, not Mugabe's actions in general. Do you really know enough to say that there is no equity in seizing some of these farms from the Apartheid era when it was known as Rhodesia and redistrbuting them to landless, starving peasants is "worthy of Sadam status"?

As a practical matter this redistrbution might not be the way to go in terms of feeding folks. Because Mugabe has done evil in other areas does not mean that the land reform is not just and perhaps the best thing to do.

14. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

As a committed Marxist strongman, Mugabe has a warm place in glynch's heart.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Well, I see at least one person here read "Confessions of an Economic Hitman"

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Hayes,isn't it about time for you to claim again that you never mischaracterize me, while you yourself are an innocent victim of such continuing tactics by me?

However, I must congratulate you on writing a post with a coherent idea that did not parse phrase by phrase till any continuity of thought vanishes.

17. HayesStreet

HayesStreet Member

Did I mischaracterize your view? Is it not Mugabe's marxist confiscation of property that you support? I did assume that was the consistent factor between Mugabe and Chavez - both of which you've voiced support for. If I'm not correct then please elaborate - I'll gladly recant if I've mischaracterized you. :)

18. micah1j

micah1j Member

Chavez & Mugabe are two of the biggest crack-pot leaders in the world today. This doesn't even warrant discussion.

19. Mr. Clutch

If Oxfam thinks that closing free trade will help these countries, they are dead wrong. They need to open up their economies, welcome industry and products and jobs. They would be much better served by welcoming Western companies.

Now, I do agree that we should stop subsidizing our farmers. I believe W has been pushing for that. That is indeed very hurtful to the third world and to our own economies.

20. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

W is pushing for it for deficit reduction reasons, not because they're so concerned about third world farmers. Also, guess what he stopped pushing for it. Apparently, farmers have a little too much clout in Congress.