1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Cup referees vs. USA

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by Will, Jul 23, 2000.

1. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Last week, the Mexican referee failed to eject an already-yellow-carded Guatemalan player when he flagrantly fouled both the U.S. goalie and a U.S. defender in the space of 5 seconds. A few minutes later, in the game's final minutes, that Guatemalan player scored the tying goal.

This week, the Jamaican referee awarded Costa Rica a "hand ball" penalty kick in the final minute of injury time on a ball that clearly hit a U.S. defender in the head and chest instead. Result: Costa Rica scored the winning goal.

That's two thefts in two weeks. So much for the "beautiful game."

2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

I say we pull back foreign aid and starve 'em to death.

We support every other country in the world, so I'm sure Mexico and Jamaica would feel it!!!

------------------
    Just shut up and post

3. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

You see, this just backs up my long-held and undeniable theory:

Soccer sucks.

4. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

The Costa Ricans also had a lot to complain about in regard to the refereeing in Sunday's match. Other than the obvious exception, the man from Jamaica had been making most calls in favor of the USA.

In addition, Costa Rica fully deserved that victory as they were playing the better game.

As for other bad calls, what about that hard foul coming from one of the Americans in the second half? He only got a yellow card for that one.

------------------
    Nederland 2002 Qualifying Campaign (Damn those penalties!!!)

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

5. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

C'mon, Ace. You're just bitter because the Dutch squandered two PKs against the Italians. And Kagy -- well, you're still bitter about the assault weapons ban. [​IMG]

[This message has been edited by Will (edited July 24, 2000).]

6. BrianKagy

BrianKagy Contributing Member

Darn right I am. We as a nation are now dangerously under-protected against the menace of soccer.

7. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Will,

Don't remind me. I'm still having nightmares about that game. I can't believe they wasted two opportunities like that.
    At least I'm still posting. It seems like Jovi disappeared from the face of the earth after Germany crashed out after the first round [​IMG]

I live in Costa Rica, by the way, and you should be happy for the people over here. It's not often they can celebrate a victory quite like that one. Espcially after having their hopes crushed against Barbados, this win truly means something.
    The victory (obviously) made the front page of the local newspaper, and it had an entire section dedicated to the win. After all, it was a huge upset.

------------------

<A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/Pressbox/6544" TARGET=_blank>Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! [​IMG]</A>

[This message has been edited by Ace (edited July 24, 2000).]

8. SmeggySmeg

SmeggySmeg Contributing Member

Sorry Will,

no simpathy,

my aussies were 2-0 up in our final qualifying game for last world cup and threw it away for a draw (loss on away goals) in the last 10 minutes.

so bad luck, there are so many what if's in sport especially in soccer, if one is to complain about a refs decision then one could bring up any numerous shots on goal and say what he had scored that goal instead of spraying it wide.

Going to get some Olympic soccer tickets this week, to watch Italy v Nigeria and some other games.

Smeeeeee

PS Leeds can take Man U now that they have the double Aussie strike force in Viduka and Kewell

------------------
    Stuff BBS, the Rockets and you guys

It's all Clippers these days, come join the bandwagon and visit

http://www.ClippersCity.net

9. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Ace -- Since you live in Costa Rica, maybe you can answer a question that came to mind as I was watching the game on TV. After yesterday, is there any toilet paper left in that country? Just curious.

10. Deji McGever

Deji McGever יליד טקסני

They could use Kasey Keller as a celebrity spokesmodel to sell it.

------------------

11. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

DoD,

Oh yeah? Maybe the Costa Ricans will decide to stop making Major League baseballs!
    [​IMG]

Anyway, did you guys notice how close the supporters are to the actual playing field? The capacity of the place is rather small compared to the better known venues, yet the toilet paper made it straight onto the field with ease.
    I think that answers you question, Will. Usually, fans throw loads more and get nothing onto the field.
    On this occasion, however, they only needed a few rolls before they had the entire field covered.

I don't even know if that was an actual penalty. You see, when the crowd in the stadium cheers the camera moves back and forth. So, I was never able to see if it was an actual hand ball. I switched to ESPN2, but unfortunately the locals blacked it out.
    Just an interesting piece of worthless information.

------------------

Houston Rockets Space Center- Not just another ClutchCity.NET clone. We're that and more! :)

12. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Ace -- I saw it on ESPN2. Here is a totally honest account of what happened. With a few minutes left in the game, Bruce Arena sent in Frankie Hejduk as a sub. Right around the 90-minute mark -- I can't remember if it was just before or just after -- Hejduk attempted an unpardonably stupid, unnecessary slide tackle on a Costa Rican player who was dribbling across the top of the box. The Costa Rican player wasn't in any position to shoot, but he did go down, and I held my breath expecting a penalty call. The ref never blew the whistle.

Two minutes later, another Costa Rican player got near the box and kicked a ball straight into Greg Berkhalter. It was heading straight for Berkhalter's throat, so he lowered his head and deflected it out for a corner kick. Berkhalter had his arms at his sides the whole time, not sticking out. The ref saw the ball hit Berkhalter from an absolutely perpendicular angle tens of yards away. In other words, the ref couldn't have seen a handball even if there had been one. And in fact, the call was totally wrong.

So it was probably a make-up call, but a travesty all the same. Hejduk should have been called for the slide, and the Costa Ricans would have made the PK, and then Hejduk could be ejected from the U.S. national team as he richly deserves for such spectacularly gratuitous idiocy. Instead, Berkhalter gets the rap. That's just wrong.

13. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Well, it's two months later, and this time we're playing at home, and they screwed us again. In Guatemala, one of their players who had already earned a yellow card flagrantly fouled two U.S. players. But the Mexican ref refused to red-card him, and that player went on to score the winning goal. This time, a U.S. player who had no yellow card (he had just entered the game) elbowed a Guatemalan player and was instantly red-carded by a Mexican ref. I don't know whether he's the same ref, and I don't care. It's bloody highway robbery.

This is not like basketball, where a good team can easily survive 2 or 3 bad calls. In soccer, it's damn near impossible to win a game after losing a player to a red card. Miraculously, the U.S. team proceeded to do just that, with a great back-post cross from Cobi Jones to Brian McBride.

But there is no excuse for the officiating. You can make the tough calls for the home team as a rule. You can refuse to red-card players as a rule. But when the shoe's on the other foot -- when we're the home team, and our player is the one who committed the foul -- you can't then turn around and pull out the card. There's only one theory to explain that pattern of calls: an attempt to screw the United States.

Today, we pulled out the win. Tomorrow, let's begin the investigation.

14. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Sorry but USA sucks in soccer , plain and simple.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

[This message has been edited by Francis3 (edited September 04, 2000).]

15. DREAMer

DREAMer Member

Francis3,

Is this how you've made it to 2330+ posts?

------------------
    I have a dream.........his name's Hakeem.
    DREAMer's Rocket Page

16. Brad

Brad Member

No, he posted Kenyon Martin's name 2300 times. [​IMG]

------------------

17. Francis3

Francis3 Member

Seriously Usa has a weak soccer team. The men do but not the ladies. Its pitiful how they play, I cant stand watching them.

------------------
    "I talked about what degenerates they [Mets fans] were, and they proved me right. Just by saying something, I could make them mad enough to go home and slap their moms."

John Rocker

18. Caddman

Caddman Contributing Member

The call against Lewis might have been a little harsh, but justifiable. He raised his elbow to the players head, and that's a no-no. However, the foul against Reyna was criminal and equally deserving of a red card. Naturally, if the US had lost or drawn I'd be alot more upset right now [​IMG]

Francis3, the US women are a large fish in a very small pond. The men are small to medium sized fish in a very large pond. I realize the FIFA world rankings are somewhat of a joke, but the USA is ranked 21st in the world. I know a few UH alumni who would be thrilled if the cougars were 21 in the nation. No, they're not up there with France, Argentina, and the like, but there is reason for optimism. They're light years ahead of where they were in the 80's.

------------------

19. Ace

Ace Contributing Member

Francis3,

Guess you can't stand it when Team USA is not the best as usual. Doesn't mean you shouldn't support your country, though.

Will,

Man, you do like to b**** about the calls don't you? [​IMG]

Nevertheless, I think that to an extent you might be right. I don't know if you've noticed, but almost every single footballing country hates the US national team. I mean, they always come second on the list after a country's so-called arch-rivals.
    The American soccer team flat out sucks at the moment. They've been improving as of late, but it's really the only major sport where the United States never really competes. I guess an emphasis has already been placed on other "American" sports.

------------------

20. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

Caddman -- I agree that Lewis's foul was worth a red card. But by that standard, there's no way that the two fouls by Ruiz in the game at Guatemala weren't also worthy of a red card -- or at LEAST a second yellow, for cryin' out loud. What's inexcusable is to let Ruiz maul Kasey Keller in Guatemala without even a yellow card and then to red-card Eddie Lewis in the game at Washington. (I don't mean to excuse Lewis for his gratuitous, self-indungent idiocy. He betrayed his teammates with that elbow. I'd cut him from the team immediately.)

Ace -- I start from the premise that traditionally the U.S. soccer team has sucked. Against that background, the team has gotten a hell of a lot better over the last decade. It's not like we've got any shot against a team like France or Holland right now. But I've seen the current U.S. team play as well as the English national team on occasion. Admittedly, that's a low standard these days . . .