1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Work Rant] My awesome boss is leaving

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Drexlerfan22, Jul 22, 2013.

1. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

Part of me doesn't know why I bother making a thread about this. I guess it's just because I'm so pissed about the situation and simply don't have enough people to rant to to get it all out.

In my experience, a good three-quarters of bosses are very crappy, in different sorts of ways. And it's amazing how oppressive work can be when you have a crappy boss.

Well, the boss I've had for the past year or so... is perfect. She has 10 times the knowledge of almost anyone else at the company, she works absurd hours, she puts in hours and hours of work even when she's on family vacations. She doesn't micromanage me or anyone else. She gives constructive criticism without ever making it personal. She never takes credit for someone else's work.

So this past year... work wasn't so bad. I almost even enjoyed it some days. And I thought "this can't possibly last." Yep.

From what I can tell, her boss (who will henceforth be known as "Psycho b****") thought that another one of her direct reports (I'll call him "Useless *******") walked on water. Except, everyone hates Useless *******. Because, well... all he ever does is get in the way. Seriously. I've never seen the guy make any contribution to anything, ever. But for some reason Psycho b**** thinks he's great.

For extra fun, Useless ******* was also giving my boss some abusive language, with a little sexual harassment mixed in over the past several months in return for her trying to call out how useless he is (I never witnessed this, but I don't doubt her word at all). She was even pulling together some documentation to possibly take him to court before she finally threw up her hands and decided to leave instead.

So it appears to me my boss was probably the fall guy for Useless's *******'s many, many failures. There's just no ****ing justice in it.

I guess I have to just throw up my hands and say "that's corporate America." And I don't feel bad for where my boss is ending up, because she's taking a high-level executive position at another company. She'll be fine, better than she would've been here. But I can't help but feel morally outraged on her behalf at how she was treated.

Useless rant over, I guess... :(

2. the shark

the shark Member

I know it's frustrating.
    Sounds like you made a good connection with your boss.

Any chance she could bring you over to the company she's going to?

3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What industry?

4. Drexlerfan22

Maybe. I haven't had time to ask her about it because I just got decked with all this right before we both left for the day today (her last day is this Friday). Still trying to get through being shocked before I think clearly about it and get my thoughts together, I guess.

Truth be told though, my job is pretty decent and I'm good at it. I like the company in general. I will probably just watch how things shift in the next few months. Psycho b**** may get canned for all I know. And if not, I have several good friends in other departments who'd be thrilled to have me over on their side.

Fortunately I won't be reporting to Useless ******* in the meantime. That will actually be another friend of mine who's awesome, and has unabashedly told me she knows nothing about how to do my job. So she will give me free reign to do whatever needs to be done for the time being. But if I end up reporting to Psycho b**** or Useless ******* later, I don't think I'd be able to take it... I'd look for an out.

Corp HQ of a large retailer.

5. Cokebabies

Cokebabies Contributing Member

Write her a recommendation on LinkedIn. That's the least you can do.

6. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Many bosses are just unintelligent and arrogant enough to render themselves utterly incapable of accurately assessing their own intelligence. Many of them are under the misguided impression that they got to be boss by virtue of their great qualities, high intelligence, and hardcore work ethic. Really, there's a good chance they also got promoted by someone just as dumb and arrogant as they themselves are.

Psycho b**** probably thinks she 'sees' something in Useless *******, and no amount of reality will convince her otherwise - because she thinks she's smart.

It's a shame that you had a good boss get shoved out - but that often happens to good bosses. There are worlds where good bosses stick around, but corporate headquarters isn't one of them.

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I agree. You want to be sure to do some things to cement your relationship with the outgoing boss so you have someone you know you'd want to work for at another company that you can jump to if things go sour at your current company. Be sure to go to her happy hour too.

8. Sadat X

Sadat X Member

This. I got a job offer for doing this to a client. I had to turn down because the job didn't amount but the thought about it was insane.

Anyways, you just gotta suck it up. I thought my boss was cool at first, but is a douchebag now. We sit right next to each other now so I cannot browse Clutchfans anymore!

But face it, it could be worse.

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I think I talk to my boss once a month for like 10 minutes.

10. Drexlerfan22

This is actually exactly what I did. I went out to her LinkedIn page and "endorsed" a bunch of her skills as soon as I got home.

And yeah, we're doing a farewell lunch tomorrow with a smallish group (none of the assholes invited).

Yeah, like I said, for me personally things could be a lot worse. Heck, I've known the person I'll be reporting to for 5+ years. No issues with her at all. If she has a "flaw," it's that she's too honest sometimes about work politics. So my only worry there is that she might be as pissed as I am and not hide it very well. Things really would suck if she ended up leaving too.

Yep. I've had "only" around 10-ish bosses in my lifetime, and yet it's staggering the range of dysfunctions most of them have.

I still remember my first boss out of college... seemed cool at first, but he ended up being a guy who was really good at the work itself but was awful at managing people. He couldn't handle more than about 3 direct reports before he started ignoring all but a couple favorites and mostly ignored everyone else... forcing us to take our own initiative to get things done. Which sounds great in theory, until you realized he reamed you out afterwards every... damn... time... because you weren't psychic enough to know exactly the way he wanted it done, even though he never told you "his way" because he was too busy with his favorites.

But the funny part was, this guy was so arrogant that he believed he was great at "developing" people. So even though in my opinion my performance got worse in subsequent years of working for him (felt so damn demotivated), he kept giving me better performance reviews because his ego couldn't let him believe that he wasn't "developing" me.

Ugggggggghhhhhh. It's just terrible to go through years and years of bad bosses, finally get a great one, and I only have her for a year before idiots push her out. I know how good I had it. I just hope eventually I'll work for someone else I respect as much. Some day.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

There IS sort of like this Oedipus Complex with bosses.

Is she hot?

We need pictures to help you out.

SRSLY speaking, methinks you got the hots for your boss lady, man. :eek: Give, give... you know you want to hit that.

WTF?

12. Drexlerfan22

That must be nice.

But yeah, we're a 4-man team that should be a 10-man team. We sit 5 feet from each other. So in this situation a good boss makes a big difference.

I was wondering how long it would take someone to say that.

And no.
    (You can apply that answer to... actually, pretty much every statement or question in your post. Damn I'm efficient. :p)

13. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Same here. I'm the local manager and my boss is the country manager. It is AWESOME not to be micromanaged. Working in a corporate HQ environment is like being in a gas chamber.

14. RocketRaccoon

RocketRaccoon Contributing Member

While I look for jobs relative to my skills,
    I keep jobs because of bosses.
    And there are just a couple of them
    I'd work for again.

A good boss is hard to find.

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

I've had the good fortune of having decent bosses. Even the bad ones aren't as bad as yours or other bosses I hear in stories. I'm starting a new Job next month so I hope my boss (relatively young) won't be bad.

16. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Like others have said, keep her contact info/connect on LinkedIn and if something good opens up under her at her new job see if you can make the switch too.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Time to profess your love, brah:

[​IMG]

18. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I know the feeling, my awesome boss left a few months ago to spend more time with her family. Fortunate for me, my new boss is cool. Not awesome, but cool.

19. droopy421

droopy421 Member

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

Replace "Psycho b****" with "Arrogant CEO" and replace "Useless *******" with "Useless Consultant *******" and my fiancee was basically in the exact same position about a month and a half ago. Corporate America sucks balls.