1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

WOJ: BREAKING Westbrook to Houston for CP3 & Picks!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Xerobull, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Fantasma Negro

I hope the heat do it, they'll have the most expensive, angriest, undersized injury-prone team the in league

Patience, BigShasta and amaru like this.
  2. HP3

HP3 Member

Lol, seems like the some of the people who still want to talk about a dude who's not on the Rockets are the really bitter/unappreciative ones :rolleyes:

RyanB likes this.
  3. amaru

amaru Member

Fair enough. Clearly there is some concern on at least one side since it hasn't been done yet.

4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yeah, if the reports are legit, the Heat asked for their 2021 1st rounder (which is unprotected so, that has a lot of value) to OKC to take on Chris Paul, that's probably why the deal died fast. OKC obviously has no reason to give up an unprotected pick of a decent team like Miami since they're rebuilding, but you know Riley wants to have his cake and eat it too...

amaru likes this.
  5. amaru

amaru Member

Miami has some legitimate cause for concern as well. While the Rockets had some stylistic problems, it's clear that Paul is officially declining. It's possible that if he doesn't go off of a cliff this year then he probably will next year. Isn't he making over 41 million in 2021? I'd imagine Miami would like to potentially have some cap room that year. I know they have some bad contracts but I'd bet all of those are more movable than a 36-37-year-old CP3

6. Vivi

Vivi Member

That's possible i guess, in fact that article posted on the previous page says that Miami wants Paul to opt out of his last year...but waiting two season to have a chance to get a top free agent when you have 30 years old Butler on the roster doesn't seem like a great idea to me...i mean, he will be 32 at that time, and there's no guarantee that even with cap space a guy like Giannis will sign with them. That's why i'm not sure they will wait, the fact that they also tried or were at least interested in getting Beal by eating Wall's contract too says a lot imo. Then again, that's just my guess which is likely wrong lol.

7. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

I just don't see how or why a team would buy Paul out. I'm not attacking you, I've just seen a lot of people (including sports writers) surmise that this is even a remote possibility. Most buyouts retain >=90% of the contract value, and as NBPA Pres he wouldn't take anything other than 99 cents on the dollar. Actually, who knows, he probably starts the discussion at $1.25 per dollar.

Plus, at his advanced age and risk for injury, correct me if I'm wrong, having his deal insured and then paying him out of insurance would be far more cost effective, right? Edit: Ok, tried to read the CBA FAQ on insurance and I'm sort of lost. I think insurance covers him if the injury keeps him out of commission for a long time. Also, insurance also appears to cover 80% of his contract with the other 20% coming from his team. Regardless, if I'm a team who doesn't really know what to do with a player like Paul, the best thing to do is hope he gets injured, or find a team willing to take his deal without wanting further compensation. But hey, I've been wrong before.

amaru likes this.
  8. amaru

amaru Member

I don't see it either. That's why I referred to the possibility of it happening as "historical" and "hypothetical". Paul has too many years and dollars remaining for a realistic buyout, unless he's willing to leave a large sum on the table (and why would he?)

9. HP3

HP3 Member

Since there is no where else to ask this. @malakas Do you think the Bucks would trade for him if push comes to shove? Like do you think he would better than Bledsoe in the playoffs?

malakas likes this.
  10. malakas

malakas Member

Yes they could. Despair is a very powerful force.
    Almost every team in the brink of losing their superstar has the same pattern of behaviour.
    Even if before they were risk adverse and conservative, the FO starts making short sighted gambling moves for immediate improvements.

It's not very difficult to be better than Bledsoe in the playoffs. He is a headcase who can't handle pressure situations.
    I thought before in the RS he deserved to be an All star even in place of Middleton if not DLO, but as soon as the playoffs started the same old phoenix Bledsore appeared.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I know you are not a Brogdan fan. So that aside. Do you think Giannis is looking at the team "not willing to go into the LT to sign Brogdan" as something he should be worried about moving forward? In other words, is Giannis going to look at that non-move on the cusp of contending as something he will use as a REASON for leaving the Bucks in FA?

malakas likes this.
  12. malakas

malakas Member

I may not be a Brogdon fan for mostly personal reasons, but I spent the best part of the start of FA being completely outraged and fighting with other Bucks fans on social media because they let him go.

And yes absolutely. When you want to keep a superstar, especially in a tiny market, with bad weather, lukewarm fandom who only the last year they begun to show up in numbers, and with huge history of treadmilling- 19 years of not having made the second round- you do not let go of a good quality starter who fits with the prime star for nothing. Simple things.

Also my experience with following Giannis all these years is that he has very good PR advisors but he and his agent are really foxes who will not be bound to a losing situation just for sentimental reasons.
    That's why he didn't agree on the 5th year on his previous contract. He went for maximum payout and maximum possible freedom.
    All this public portraying of a wide eyed poor little boy who will just be happy to get his money and grateful to the Bucks for giving him the chance is false at this point. Maybe when he was 19 years old.

HP3 likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Bucks offer him the full max extension, do you think he takes it? Or do you think he holds the franchise's feet to the fire and at least test the waters of FA in 2021

malakas likes this.
  14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Speaking for the super max...

D-rock and malakas like this.
  15. malakas

malakas Member

We have seen many examples of players first taking the full max and THEN asking for a trade.
    He has already the secure excuse also. Middleton's ticking bomb contract. By that time Middleton will be over 30 being paid 35-37 million a year with his limited athleticism. He's not a good enough c+s shooter with volume to say that he will age gracefully. It's a guaranteed albatross.

But for that GA will have to sacrifice a year of his prime.
    I don't think that he will be willing to do that, when he will already almost be a billionaire.
    Just because you grew up poor it doesn't mean greed is now your main driving force in life.
    From his behaviour I believe that he will want to win more, than $ , and will not be willing to waste away a year for that.
    So he will just sign elsewhere in FA.

Deuce likes this.
  16. J.R.

J.R. Member

Can't even talk about your own player? Damn. :rolleyes:

snowconeman22 and malakas like this.
  17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

LeBron openly talked about wanting to play with Anthony Davis last year lmfao. No punishment.

League is turning into a joke

Invisible Fan, Deuce, amaru and 5 others like this.
  18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Yep. Thunder are going nowhere for the next few years, and at the trade deadline of the 2021-2022 season (or possibly even in 20-21), that CP3 $44M expiring contract could bring back some significant assets.

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

CP3 aint waiving / giving up that $44M in 2021.

He wouldn't take a single cent less than his max to make his team better …. he aint giving up 44m.

Richie_Rich and pippendagimp like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

he did it in year 1 when he opted to come to houston and allowed houston to sign other FA's. wouldn't have mattered in year 2 anyway when they were over the cap regardless for the 100th time

amaru likes this.