1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj and Zach Lowe hosting trade special

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by DaBeard, Dec 12, 2018.

1. CriscoKidd

CriscoKidd Member

So they were talking about wine, European soccer, baseball, and a bunch whiny platitudes?

clutchdabear and heypartner like this.
  2. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Why are they talking in incomplete fractured sentences?

I can barely tell wtf they’re trying to say

saleem likes this.
  3. J.R.

J.R. Member

[Bill O'Brien voice] That's on me. Gotta do a better job. I apologize.

Nook and snowconeman22 like this.
  4. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Your hard work is greatly appreciated as always.

5. Jayzers_100

Jayzers_100 Member

Yes, I felt like I watched the whole thing just by reading JR’s posts

saleem likes this.
  6. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

Nah, you are the man.

7. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

but this isn't a trade deadline...it's just the start of more possibilities.

Morey has mentioned in past years how he has to almost coach other GMs in doing roster moves prior to the trade deadline, starting with Dec 15th (and the aggregation deadling), but many GMs like to wait.

Nook and hakeem94 like this.
  8. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Yes, but it feels like one because of our predicament. I'm happy that Harden showed his magic against the Lakers. Hopefully we will get to see more of it against Memphis.

9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Doc Rivers is not an elite coach, he is just good at barking at people to give more effort for a while until they get tired of it.

If we don't have homecourt and the Clippers do, I pray that we are matched up with them.

Vivi and steddinotayto like this.
  10. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

I don’t like the guy but he has a ring, a coach of the year and a lot of wins. He’s no average coach.

raining threes likes this.
  11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

He won coach of the year for - just like this season - yelling at a team lacking talent to outwork its opponents. There, too, his voice became hollow. Byron Scott, Mike Brown, Thibs, Sam Mitchell and Avery Johnson have since won the award too.

The ring was because he had KG/Allen/Pierce/Brown/Cassell/Davis/Perkins/Pollard/Posey/Rondo and a great squad overall, and it still took him the most postseason games in history to win that ring. Had Thibs on his staff too. They were a far more talented team than the Lakers.

IMO he is certainly average. He's just one of those guys who can make veterans play hard for a limited period of time.

12. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

He’s no Popovich. But just because you give your reasons for all his achievements doesn’t make them any less of an achievement. “Yelling at a team to outwork its opponents” if that is all he was doing was obviously effective. His voice didn’t become hollow in Orlando. He did a fantastic job coaching a team and then that team acquired Tmac and no coach was able to do much with a Tmac led team.

Doesn’t matter what stars he has in Boston. He coached them to a championship. What more can you do than win the whole thing?

#33 Zoplicone, Dec 15, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 16, 2018
    HP3 likes this.
  13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

If you only went by the wild characterizations on ESPN and never looked at the standings, you wouldn't believe the Clippers were a mere 2.5 games ahead of the Rockets.

hakeem94 likes this.
  14. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Of course it's my opinion, but your post is literally false. It literally matters what stars he had in Boston, how many games it took him to win, who his opponents were, etc. Despite having all of this to his gigantic advantage, he has the most playoff losses of any championship win in history. If he were an elite coach, that would not have been the case. The other thing of course is that his style was more passable 15 years ago.

So can he coach a Warriors-like roster advantage to a championship? Yes, I believe average coaches can do that.