1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With the # 1, the Rockets pick:

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bigboymumu, May 19, 2002.

Tags:
  1. bigboymumu

bigboymumu Member

1a)#1, #15, KT, MoTa, and Rice for Garnet! Imagine us running the zone with Garnet at the top of the key. He may not be a goto guy on offense but he is the rebounder and defensive presence we need.

1b) #1 and KT for Odom, #8 and #12. Hopefully get Brochardt at 8, trade the 12th pick to the Grizzlies for our obligation. Perhaps take Stoudemire with the 15th.

1c) I actually wouldn't mind the trade that was proposed by Sane. Kandi/Odom for #1/Cato. The only problem is the possible luxury tax ramification.

1d) #1, #15, KT, and Rice for Duncan. Rice could be used as a pawn next year. Players in the last year of their contract are very valuable comodities. San Antonio could probably trade him next year.

2. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

I think CD will get answers to those questions. Why wouldn't the Chinese basketball authorities be forthright with the Rockets? If they're that dead set on Yao going to the Knicks, it's best for all parties to sit down and work something out. The worst thing that happens is the Knicks get greedy, knowing they have the leverage, and the Rocks bail out, draft Williams and trade him instead.

I think if we draft Ming (and keep him), Rudy and CD will have all the variables worked out. Think what you will about the 'Red Chinese,' but it's totally in their interest to be forthright about their desires. And they have been, haven't they? "Send us some NBA players;" "let us train in U.S. facilities." I don't know about the former, but the latter I think they can do. And I'm confident that Houston's got a significant enough Chinese population that the Chinese Basketball Assocation will be appeased, if not thrilled (although I don't see why they shouldn't be thrilled).

So if we end up with Ming, I'm going to assume that CD's worked out the potential difficulties with The CBA. Maybe Doc Rocket can confirm this should it be the case.

3. hotshotrbs2

hotshotrbs2 Member

#1 to the Phoenix Suns for Marion and their #9 pick.

4. Swami

Swami Member

Doesn't anybody remember Ralph Sampson? He was a 7'4" center with "guard-like" skills, and he was a bust!!! I don't think the Rockets will make the same mistake twice.

IMO Jay Williams is by far the more tradeable of the two options, hence, I predict we draft Jay Williams on June 26th and make the best deal possible for him with a team in need.

5. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Unless Ming is a bust in workouts, we take him (a no-brainer) and use our 15th pick, future pick or picks and/or a player (Mooch?) to move up and take our small forward. There are many good ones in the draft this year. We should be able to get one of them. Maybe one of those Euro guys!:)

6. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

I just registered tonight...what a great site! Anyone care to guess who I think the Rockets should draft?:D

7. HotRocket

HotRocket Contributing Member

Nba.com has already created a "poll" to see what NBA fans think that the Rockets should do with the pick.

http://www.nba.com/news/lottery02_index.html

Draft Yao Ming 59%
    Draft Jay Williams and move Francis to 2-guard 13%
    Trade the pick for a high-profile veteran 11%
    Draft Jay Williams and trade him 6%
    Trade down for a lower pick and a veteran 5%
    Draft Mike Dunleavy 4%
    Draft someone other than those three 2%

I agree with the first choice, but I dont think that it is in the best intrests of Francis that we draft Williams and move steve to the 2.

8. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

Ralph was no bust. He was a great player (yes, not good, but great) whose career ended early because of injury. So in fact we hope that Ming is like Sampson... that is, without the injuries.

9. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Swamie, did you see Sampson play? He was a great player laid low by bad knees. More to the point, have you seen pictures of Ming's legs? This guy has some serious wheels. Major muscles goin' on there, lol!

10. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Draft Yao Ming and then trade KT and #15 to whoever can get us that Tshvkallis dude. That would kick ass. I dont know if we would make playoffs next year, but the sky would be the limit for that team.

Next years starting lineup:

Ming
    Maurice
    Rice
    Cuttino
    Francis

Bench:
    Cato
    Griffin!
    Tshvakillis!
    Oscar
    Moochie.

Our bench would kick ass and it would only be a matter of time before Griffin and Tshvakilis would overtake Maurice and Rice as our starters.

Ming
    Griffin
    Tshvakallis
    Mobley
    Francis

11. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Plato, I see we agree. You beat me to it! Man, I'm bouncing around the house. This is so totally amazing!

12. gr8-1

gr8-1 Contributing Member

Someone in chat (don't know who, there were like 800 people in there) mentioned #1 to Golden State for Richardson and #3. I'd do that in a heartbeat. I'd also do this Marion deal.

What about #1 to Memphis for Gausol and they let us keep our #1 next year?

13. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

sampson was a stud until he got hurt. talent-wise he was about as far from a bust as possible. if ming is sampson-level we're not even discussing trading the pick.

my ideal situation would be sane's idea of getting kandi man and odom. but, how would the contract situation work? isn't kandi a free agent and currently looking for the max. in that case i wouldn't pay him but i would give him slightly more than cato money.

if that doesn't happen i'd do the #1 + kt for marion + #9. that's pretty nice as well and we could get bourchard(possibly) or marcus at the 9 spot.

it seems like we could have alot of sweet deals coming our way.

14. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Yeah, and Duncan plays here one year before he bolts since we can't max him. 2003 would have to be a very good year because it would be the only one we have.

15. crash5179

crash5179 Contributing Member

Sampson won the ROY in year 1
    NBA all star MVP in year 2
    Hit the winning shot that won the WCF in year 3
    Was a consistant 20 / 10 guy that block shots.

and you think he was a bust?

16. CLFranchise

CLFranchise Contributing Member

Here is Stevie answering questions on his plane flight back to Houston to celebrate with CD, and Rudy...

Houston: Would you be happy playing the 2 guard if Houston decides to pick Jay Williams?
    Steve Francis: We already play the two guard, me and Cuttino.

HAHAHAHA< I guess Jay Williams is out of the picture ;) (I didn't want him anyway)

DRAFT MING! PAY THE CHINESE GOVERNMENT TO LET HIM STAY!

17. yao ming

yao ming Contributing Member

I just registered tonight...what a great site! Anyone care to guess who I think the Rockets should draft?:D

18. mfclark

mfclark Member

Any trade with the #1 pick needs to net the Rockets an All-Star SF plus a very high draft pick in return or one of the league's top centers. No other trades should be considered. Whether or not you like Yao Ming, he has the height and skills to become a real force in the NBA one day and will be a player from day one.

And for those who might ask, Olowokandi CANNOT be traded until after the draft - and only then as part of a sign-and-trade deal. Same for Rashard Lewis. No trades involving those players are legal under the CBA.

And, as I said earlier today, this pick at least gives the Rockets options. Personally, I hope that option is Yao Ming. The 15th pick can get that small forward many feel the Rockets need.

19. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

We heard you the first time, dude.

20. Plato

Plato Contributing Member

Another reason to pick Ming is mentioned in another thread - the media attention. We will instantly have multiple nationally televised games, sold out home games (not bad for a team that had the 2nd worst attendance in the league this year), and the largest potential fan base in the world, China. While this may substantially amount to not much in the long run if Ming is a bust, if he is not, as I said in an earlier post, it could amount to something HUGE.

You gotta do this just because of the potential upside. Take the risk. All picks are a risk, especially at #1, but this is a risk with a (literally) huge upside.

#40 Plato, May 19, 2002
    Last edited: May 19, 2002