1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

With a sweep on the line, Dwight just quit on his team.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rofflesaurus, Apr 28, 2013.

1. bucket

bucket Member

Paging Carl Herrera...

2. Angkor Wat

Angkor Wat Member

3. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

Yup. How many folks, myself included, said the EXACT same thing when it looked like Lebron quit in those last 2 games w the cavs against the celtics? Damn near everyone.

This behavior does make it very hard to like Dwight but he's still the best center in the league and a player that would make us immediate contenders.

4. TJ VS TR

TJ VS TR Member

With the sweep, T-Mac has gone on to the second round.

5. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

if he signs here, 95% of the people will be ecstatic (that includes the 65% that are LOFs since he'll have someone who can actually, you know, do a pick'n'roll).

6. emcitymisfit

emcitymisfit Member

Who are the 5 best centers in the game today?

Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, Dylan, & Dylan

7. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

LeBron quit on the Cavs in 2010. That sure didn't seem to be an issue when he went to the Heat. T-Mac quit on the Magic in 2004. He played pretty hard(although not always smart) for the Rockets for several years before his body gave out. Hell, even Dream was accused of faking an injury back in 1992 by his own organization before they mended their relationship and we all know what happened after that.

I have my concerns about Dwight Howard's dedication to the game, but you can't discount the miserable year this guy's had. He's coming off back surgery, he went through a summer of constant speculation on where he'd end up, he winds up with the Lakers who most of the so-called experts pick to dominate the West and make it to the Finals, and ends up on an old, unathletic squad that goes through two coaches, countless injuries, and needs a huge surge in the 2nd half just to qualify for the playoffs where they're promptly swept.

Most players would likely react the way Dwight did under those circumstances.

8. Naija Texan

Naija Texan Member

At a reasonable price, I'd accept it.

At the price that most predict he will demand, hell no.

I've been saying it since last summer, Howard is over blown, coming out of a weaker conference in a period when he had no competition for best big center because Yao and Al Jefferson both had chronic injuries during that time he was dominating the NBA. Howard as he is now, while still one of the best, isn't that great offensively to build a team around him as the first option and his defense seems to be either on the decline or the younger guys (Ibaka, Hibbert, M. Gasol etc.) are getting better to match him. So if it comes down to it, I hope Morey isn't so desperate for a "superstar" that he ignores the warning signs and signs a dud that will probably hurt this team in the long term.

9. nykb17

nykb17 Member

One good thing about it is that he just lowered his value. How many teams are willing to sign him now for max contract?

10. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Any team that has enough cap space to give out a max contract.

11. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

This. There aren't too many stars who will go hard at all costs in every game no matter what. Just isn't worth it to them, and frankly this generation is not as hardworking as older generations, so get used to it. That's why someone like Lin is the exception, not the rule. As long as Howard is willing to stay in good shape, I'll take his crapp* effort and whining once in awhile. Hopefully he will mature in a better situation.

12. wfeebs

wfeebs Member

If he's 100% , you need to get him.

13. basketballholic

LAL, HOU, ATL, DAL, MIN, CLE, UTA, NO, MIL

This is all the teams that could possibly sign him to a max deal. I think they'd all do it.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Lowered his value? How?

Most, if not all, teams would pay him the max, even with his flaws.

15. basketballholic

Forgot a couple others but they would too.

16. parksn306

parksn306 Contributing Member

after this season, with the injury and the team failure, does his value take a hit at all?

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Because after all that he was still the best center in the NBA.

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Not at all. He'll get max money from either the Lakers or some other team. Andrew Bynum might have to settle for slightly less, but not Dwight Howard.

19. Hilarious

Hilarious Member

You dont seem to care about real stats dont ya :cool:

20. SmoothOperator

SmoothOperator Contributing Member

I think a better option would be to work some kind of 3 way sign and trade. Howard to Heat, Bosh to Rockets, trash to Lakers.