1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Winning ROY correlates to future HOF success

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by D-rock, Feb 11, 2022.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

https://www.nba.com/news/kia-rookie-ladder-feb-9-2022-edition

Here’s a breakdown of Rookies of the Year in relation to some other major hardware:

• Twenty-eight of the 78 players who have won (or shared, with four ties) ROY went on to get an NBA championship ring.

• Seventeen of those 78 players were named MVP at least once.

• Of those 17, the 14 who are eligible all are in the Hall of Fame: Bob Pettit, Wilt Chamberlain, Oscar Robertson, Willis Reed, Wes Unseld, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Dave Cowens, Bob McAdoo, Larry Bird, Michael Jordan, David Robinson, Shaquille O’Neal, Allen Iverson and Tim Duncan. The other three still are active: LeBron James, Kevin Durant and Derrick Rose.

• Breaking it down another way, 17 of the 35 Most Valuable Players – that’s the number of players who have collected the league’s 66 MVP trophies, led by Abdul-Jabbar’s six – started out as Rookies of the Year.

• Twelve ROY winners have been named Finals MVP at least once in their careers. That spans 32 players who have accounted for the 53 awards.

Believe It! and varughese.arun like this.
  2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

• > 1% of those 78 players was Michael Carter-Williams

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

And CF's loved MCM

ElPigto and Jontro like this.
  4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

You get the same results from players that win the dunk contest.

5. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

Hakeem Olajuwon did not win the Rookie of the Year, but he's better than all those MFers you listed. Take that for data. There I said it. Deserves its own thread.........

....discuss.

Nelly, BigMaloe, dfbreyes and 10 others like this.
  6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Analysis: Most players who play well... uh... play well.

bmelo, Sean Dr34ms, dfbreyes and 10 others like this.
  7. Jontro

Jontro Member

mcw could dance good

[​IMG]

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is some high end data journalism, enough with the Python scripts Steve! English please!

Steve Aschburner has written about the NBA since 1980. You can e-mail him here, find his archive here and follow him on Twitter.

hakeem94 and alethios like this.
  9. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So, less than half of mvp’s were ROY. I’m not sure that has any meaning.

10. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

So, we passed on a likely future HOFer in Evan Mobley to get Jamal Crawford 2.0. Great.

bmelo, fattz, BigShasta and 1 other person like this.
  11. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

At least we have our sixth man. Gotta start somewhere.

BallSoHarden likes this.
  12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Crawford joined the league a year older than Green and still averaged 4 ppg on 35% shooting and 41% efg% his rookie year.

Don't know why people continue to make such shitty comparisons to put down players that are on their own favorite team they supposedly root for.

Crawford didn't match Green's rookie scoring impact until he was 23, 3 years into the league. So stop it.

Nelly, BigMaloe, roslolian and 7 others like this.
  13. conquistador#11

Just hand the Cavs 6 nba finals trophies right now.
    That's how it works .

i3artow i3aller and fchowd0311 like this.
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Well, I guess he is not 19 any longer.

And he still cannot hold a beer legally.

15. durvasa

Not sure of the relevance of the Rockets being my favorite team that I root for, honestly. My statement doesn't mean I'm rooting against Green being successful. Crawford is who he reminds me of, and is the caliber of player I think he's most likely to be (which, by the way, wouldn't qualify as a bust). Hope I'm wrong and he ends up being an all-star.

Everyone should take my opinion here with a grain of salt, by the way. I'll admit I haven't watched him play all that much since the first few months of the season.

16. fchowd0311

You just regurgitated your opinion. I'm explaining to you why it's a dumb opinion. So again, explain how you can say that Green is looking like nothing more than the next Crawford when 20 years old Crawford averaged SIGNIFICANTLY less points on SIGNIFICANTLY less efficiency than 19 year old Green.

Nelly likes this.
  17. durvasa

Green came in as a starter from day 1. I'd expect him to have a higher usage and put up better looking numbers, on that basis. He also had the benefit of playing in a pro league the year prior, even being younger.

My comparison is based on the type of player and skills he appears to have, and what I think (based on limited info) I think he's most likely to develop into. A good, starting caliber player, potent scorer, but not an all-star.

jogo and D-rock like this.
  18. dmoneybangbang

Yes yes yes..... we know we drafted the wrong player.

Replace "bruno" with "green". Or just move on......

19. fchowd0311

Green played in a 17 gleague bubble games. Honestly a full college season would be more beneficial to development than a half assed bubble tournament.

If you see Green as the same caliber of player as rookie Crawford and use usage as an excuse for far superior pt production, that doesn't account for Crawford averaging 4ppg on SIGNIFICANTLY WORSE efficiency. That implies that if he had ramped up his usage and attempts, his efficiency would have just been even worse creating a even wider efficiency gap.

Crawford has no where near the physical talent that Green has.

Nelly likes this.
  20. durvasa

What do you think is the most likely path for Green's career to take? Do you think it's more likely than not that he becomes an all-star, for example?