1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Windows 7 Internet Connection Problems

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by twhy77, Jul 16, 2012.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Bbs-

Here's the deal. I bought a new laptop to take the bar exam last summer. It was a cheap Lenovo, running Windows 7, 4GB of RAM. Worked like a dream up until this past May.

Every time I get on the internet, it takes awhile for things to load up. After that, I will have about 8-9 minutes of ok surfing time before it just refuses to load any pages. I essentially have to restart the computer, or let it be for about 20 minutes before it functions normally again.

Things that are weird.

1. It is still connected to the internet because Skype works.
    2. Gmail works for some reason, and if I'm streaming hulu or youtube it stays connected for some reason.
    3. No web browser can connect.
    4. I've tried the following, which restored my connection briefly but doesn't work any more:

5. I don't think that it is a firewall problem because I wouldn't be able to connect at all if it were.
    6. Google is unhelpful at this point.
    7. My guess is there is something wrong with the 64 bit Windows 7, but I was hoping someone here could shed more light on the problem.
    8. The problem is not just at my house but on every internet connection that I go to.

2. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Why not back up files and reformat?

3. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

4. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

Try booting in safe mode with networking and see if issue persists. If not, then it is a software/settings issue. In Msconfig try selecting "normal startup" and see if that solves issue. Check for updates for your wifi card on the manufacturer website or update windows as well. scan for viruses etc. too.

5. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

Thanks, will let you know what I find.

6. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I has aproblem like this when i had a vpn client installed. It was running my proxy settings.

Need more info for more suggestive

7. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

First of all what browser are you using? Are you connecting through wi-fi or cable? How about try installing another browser or totally uninstall your browser and clear everything and reinstall it. It could either be the browser with extensions or plugins or addons not cooperating or you have a virus or some stupid stuff install on your browser unnoticed.

8. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i'd go with this also without being hands on..

9. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

Agree with trying safe mode. I'd also create a new user account and log on with that and perform your tests. That will tell you if it's something profile specific.

10. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Could be a faulty driver. Update it.

11. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

Bad host file?

Run hitman pro.

12. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Have you tried replacing your wireless card? I've had an issue before with a faulty wireless card not properly connecting to the internet. You can buy one of those external wireless adapters that plug in via USB to test it out. Just make sure to disable your current wireless card when you do this.