1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Window tinting

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by LAM, May 11, 2005.

Tags:
  1. LAM

LAM Member

Now that the Rox season's over, I want to get my new Honda CR-V tinted before long. Please give me some referrals and recommendations for the good places and even some horror stories from bad shops. I'd like to hear some personal experiences from all you guys.
    I definitely don't want to do it myself and I'd like to pay $200 or less (Gillman Honda wanted $350 ----they tried to sell me with the pitch that theirs won't negate the use of the rear defogger, apparently some tint mess up the defog wires, anybody know about this?).
    So where's the best place to go? Just want the maximum legal tint allowed and a lifetime warranty (pretty std for the decent places I hear). Thanks.

2. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

Executive Motors is probably the best place in town. I took 3 of my cars there...2 Honda Accords and a Kia Sephia. I got the limo tints It comes with a lifetime warranty. You pay about $200

They got two locations. The one I went to is near Hilcroft and Richmond ... right by the Jack in the Box

3. JJ

JJ Member

$20 per window should be the going rate.

$200 for a car? Kinda high.

4. aeroman10

aeroman10 Contributing Member

It depends on what kind of film/tint you get. They had alot of choices. I chose the limo tint which uses the best material and is the darkest shade available which is allowable by law.

5. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

I got my car done at Executive.

I bought the salesman's pitch about Diamond Nichrome, but you can get cheaper tint.

6. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Not really. I had the limo placed on the back and tiny corners of my Z, and the legal tint on the sides. My price was a bit higher due to my side windows which open/close a bit everytime a door is open and closed to help keep the cabin pressure tight.

My total 2 weeks ago for limo on back/corners, legal (35%?) on sides and the visor strip on the windshield, plus warranty was $190.00. Looks great though. I could never drive a vehicle without some type of tint.

7. PhiSlammaJamma

An extra dark tint to protect the driver from seeing better cars.

8. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

I'm glad someone brought this up, I was looking to get my windows tinted as well and was looking for opinions.

From what I've seen, $200 isn't terribly expensive. It all depends on what kind of tinting you want. There's all kinds of stuff, from your basic film all the way to the new metallic/ceramic compound tints. Personally, since I plan on making this a keeper car, I'm willing to go all out (at least as "all out" as a state employee paycheck will take me) and get the best I can and worry about the price later. A good tint with fairly high thermal energy and UV reflection rates are what I'm going for. I've read about a brand called HuyperOptik (German, IIRC) that seems to be, if not top of the line, fairly close. I'm open to other options though.

9. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Definitely go there. I send all my friends their way. I got my bmw done there and I can say that my rear defrost works just fine. Just ask for Rene or Kovid. Tell them Mike Tran sent ya.

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

Oh yeah ask for Rene or Kovid IF you are going to the hillcroft location. Located btw richmond and westheimer next to the Jack in the Box across from Wells Fargo.

11. micah1j

micah1j Member

Good question, I'm going to get me new car tinted and didn't know where to go.

12. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Are you saying that the Rockets were playing 24 hours per day... or that you were talking and doing stuff regarding the Rox season 24 hours a day... that you were too busy doing Rockets' stuff to take your car to a shop to drop it off to get it tinted...?? WHAT??? I'm confused... :confused: Why mention that anyway...?

13. xcharged

xcharged Member

It's about time....

[​IMG]

14. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Maybe one of you can answer this....I bought a new mustang back in february and I got the windows tinted at the dealership. For some reason, there are vertical scratches on the windows now...and it appears that the tint is what's getting scratched. Anyone have any clue as to why this is happening?

15. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Sounds like the window is scraping something on the insides of your door jams. Have you taken them apart to check it out?

16. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Don't take it to any dealerships - all they do is send it to the tint shop down the road.

What I'd do is go to a dealership and see if you can find the name of the tint place on vehicles in their lot... look around the service area and see if you see a lot of cars with the same tint place name on the tinting. Or you may be able to just ask the guys there and they'll tell you.

17. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

On the flip side.

How much does it cost to remove tint?

I wanted to get my son's truck re-tinted.

18. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

There's some sand or speck of something stuck between the tint/window and the sill of your door. Many cars have a hard "wiper" that scrapes across the window as it goes up and down. If some sand or something gets lodged there, it will scrape against the new tint as it goes up and down.

Before just getting the tint replaced, I'd take the door panel off (assuming you have to do this to get at it) and clean that wiper (and of course assuming this is the problem... hehe). Several installers will install a piece of felt or moleskin at that contact point to lessen the chance of it happening again. It's debatable whether the felt/moleskin really works - I've seen people say it does and others that say they got scratches on their tint even with moleskin/felt installed.

19. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Contributing Member

Alex @ Memorial Tint and Alarms sponsors some Houston based car club websites (such as West Side Mustangs) and has hundreds of happy customers. I know he only charges 89 bucks for Mustangs and cars of about the same size. SUVs and Trucks will be a little more. I know most of the time he will gladly remove old tint for free or very little cost.

Memorial Tint & Alarms: Alex - Owner
    713-464-2621

20. rocks_fan

rocks_fan Rookie

Good Lord, a Zorro the Gay Blade picture? Man I thought I was like the only person on Earth who remembered that movie AND still thought it was funny.