1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Wimbledon 2016

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BigM, Jul 2, 2016.

Tags:
  1. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

Novak is sooooo lucky that the rain came down. He was going out if they finished yesterday. Id like to see the American take it today.

2. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

Tournament has been farcial with all the rain. Just makes people lose interest

3. cardpire

cardpire Member

serious question: why was Q's racket legal? seems distracting as hell and blends in with the ball and grass. not sure if this complaint was brought up or anything, but i've never seen anybody use a racket like that at wimbledon.

4. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Wimbledon is like this every year. England weather is dreadful in the summer. It always rains and has been the past couple weeks in the grass tourneys building up to Wimbledon. The grand slams are far too traditional and do not have multiple roofed courts and lights. Makes you appreciate the AO, even though it's the least prestigious of the four.

As for Djokovic, that post RG slump is very real. Would hope that Fed can take advantage but he's been in such poor form since coming back and he still has a monumental task to overcome. It would be amazing to see him win #18 here. But dare I say it, he could very well flop to Johnson next round if he's not serving well.

It's Murray's tournament to lose now.

5. stobbartjohn

stobbartjohn Member

I know all about summers in England lol, I live here.

Clearly this isn't typical though, as it's only the second time this century they have decided to play on middle Sunday, so it's much worse than usual. We've had some years with no interruptions at all. The US and the French are far worse for interruptions and obviously neither have a roof yet.

Funny thing is during the French Open we had loads of sunshine and zero rain at all over here!

6. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Great move by having Middle Sunday; it made up for the organizers' mistake of making the doubles matches best of 3, which was an overreaction IMO.

Agreed on the French. It is my least favorite open.

7. malakas

malakas Member

as far I know RG is building roofs? They had bought new areas as well and renovating.

But this is a shedule problem that the ITF has always ignored. Its not WImby only it's USopen it's the tiny grass season. The whole shedule is a mess. And it will never fixed because ITF and ATP is governed by old fashioned senile traditionalists.

8. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Fed comes back from 2 sets down and 3 match points to get to his one billionth major semi-finals. Go Fed!

9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I love Federer. He is a tennis genius. Go Fed Go!

10. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Cilic was in US Open form for 2 and a half sets then had an epic choke. Great job by the Maestro to pull it out. Huge mental boost.

11. BigDog63

BigDog63 Member

Wow...Fed won that? I caught a bit of it midway through the 3rd, when Cilic was up 2 sets to none, and 2 games to none.

that has got to be a crushing defeat for Cilic (added to his list of other crushing defeats).

Glad to see Fed win though. Would like to see him win another Slam, and also glad that he keeps playing. Nothing wrong with being the 3rd best player in the world, especially if you still enjoy playing. Personally, it doesn't seem like he dropped off so much as Djokovich and Murray got a lot better. And Nadal has come, and gone, while Fed keeps on keeping on.

12. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

He completely turned on his serve and went god mode. I don't even know how many aces he had the last two sets.

13. PhiSlammaJamma

Thought the Williams doubles match today was entertaining.

14. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Semis at 7am. Playing or watching--nothing beats tennis in the morning.

15. tmactoyao

tmactoyao Member

Epic choke by Fed at 6-5* 40-0 in the 4th set with an UE and back to back DFs. I think he's finished. Had a great chance here :(

16. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm sad Fed lost. He is still one of the greatest tennis players of all time.

17. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

Father time is Undefeated., but he did kind of choke.

18. PhiSlammaJamma

No Brit will ever win Wimbledon and that's just how it's gonna be.

19. I am a Donut

I am a Donut Contributing Member

Huh? Murray won in 2013.

20. PhiSlammaJamma

Murray is a Scotty and he knows it.