1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    GAME 7 ORLANDO vs CLEVELAND. Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

William F. Buckley is smarter than hell

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Batman Jones, Apr 1, 2006.

1. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

I've long disagreed with him on the big issues, but I can't find a single thing to disagree with here. I don't have enough information to agree or disagree with his take on Cheney and Iraq but apart from that, his takes on Bush, Iraq and the three former presidents he mentions are just dead on. And there's no doubt he's a giant. I wish we had a guy like this on our side. Maybe it's Chomsky. Maybe I just wish we had one that people took seriously.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000103&sid=anN._IfoJo1M&refer=us

Buckley Says Bush Will Be Judged on Iraq War, Now a `Failure'

March 31 (Bloomberg) -- William F. Buckley Jr., the longtime conservative writer and leader, said George W. Bush's presidency will be judged entirely by the outcome of a war in Iraq that is now a failure.

``Mr. Bush is in the hands of a fortune that will be unremitting on the point of Iraq,'' Buckley said in an interview that will air on Bloomberg Television this weekend. ``If he'd invented the Bill of Rights it wouldn't get him out of his jam.''

Buckley said he doesn't have a formula for getting out of Iraq, though he said ``it's important that we acknowledge in the inner councils of state that it (the war) has failed, so that we should look for opportunities to cope with that failure.''

The 80-year-old Buckley is among a handful of prominent conservatives who are criticizing the war. Asked who is to blame for what he deems a failure, Buckley said, ``the president,'' adding that ``he doesn't hesitate to accept responsibility.''

Buckley called Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld, a longtime friend, ``a failed executor'' of the war. And Vice President Dick Cheney ``was flatly misled,'' Buckley said. ``He believed the business about the weapons of mass destruction.''

National Review

Buckley, often called the father of contemporary conservatism in America, articulated his beliefs in National Review magazine, which he founded in 1955. His conservatism calls for small government, low taxes and a strong defense. Both Ronald Reagan and Barry Goldwater said they got their inspiration from the magazine.

In the interview, Buckley criticized the so-called neo- conservatives who enthusiastically embraced the Iraq invasion and the spreading of American values around the world.

``The neoconservative hubris, which sort of assigns to America some kind of geo-strategic responsibility for maximizing democracy, overstretches the resources of a free country,'' Buckley said.

While praising Bush as ``really a conservative,'' he was critical of the president for allowing expansion of the federal government and never vetoing a spending bill.

The president's ``concern has been so completely on the international scope that he can be said to have neglected conservatism'' on the fiscal level, Buckley said.

Appraising Presidents

Buckley also offered his perspectives on other recent presidents:

-- Richard Nixon ``was one of the brightest people who ever occupied the White House,'' he said, ``but he suffered from basic derangements,'' which precipitated his own downfall.

-- Ronald Reagan ``confounded the intellectual class, which disdained him.'' Every year though, Buckley said, ``there is more and more evidence of his ingenuity, of his historical intelligence.''

-- Bill Clinton ``is the most gifted politician of, certainly my time,'' Buckley said. ``He generates a kind of a vibrant goodwill with a capacity for mischief which is very, very American.'' He doubted that ``anyone could begin to write a textbook that explicates his (Clinton's) political philosophy because he doesn't really have one.''

Buckley exalted in what he sees as the conservative success stemming from his call a half century ago in the National Review to ``stand athwart history and yell stop.''

That, he remembered, was when Marxism was widely considered ``an absolute irreversible call of history.'' The folly of that notion was demonstrated by the demise of communism a decade and a half ago, he said.

Buckley said he had a few regrets, most notably his magazine's opposition to civil rights legislation in the 1960s. ``I think that the impact of that bill should have been welcomed by us,'' he said.

2. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

You gotta love that synopsis of Clinton... "a kind of a vibrant goodwill with a capacity for mischief which is very, very American."

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

I bet within the next 30 years we have a great book that does exactly that.

I've always used my wife's definition of Clinton: Toxic charisma.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Say what you will about the guy, and there are many liberals and/or Democrats who dislike him, the man was President when we had the healthiest budget balance in decades, poverty was reduced, national healthcare attempted, even if it was poorly handled (thanks, Hil), and right-wing judges weren't appointed to lifetime Federal positions, including the Supreme Court, unless it was by accident.

I'd take his toxic charisma (a good phrase!) over what we've had since he left every day, and twice on Sundays. And if he could run again, I'd vote for him. It least he has charisma and can make a damn speech, something woefully in short supply, so far, from my party.

:)

Keep D&D Civil.

5. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

This premise is a bit suspect. Overall though I think it's a great piece.

#5 mc mark, Apr 1, 2006
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2006
  6. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

History will look much more kindly on Clinton's 2 terms because they were immediately followed by Bush's 8 year train wreck.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

If Buckley was so smart, why was he so wrong for so long on the Iraq War?

That being said, it is good that he has the good sense to change his mind and accept the mess that been created.

8. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

no appraisal on Presidents Bush I?

9. jisangNY1

jisangNY1 Member

He's my kind of conservative! Unlike the person we have in the White House currently or the Republican Party in general these days!

10. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Kevin Phillips is no slouch...