1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

William Buckley- The American objective in Iraq has failed.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by gifford1967, Feb 24, 2006.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

How many incarcerated? How many abused? How long has it been? How difficult are the circumstances?

I said it was minor and I said it was regrettable...

It's now a patty-cake world.

2. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

bolder than saying millions upon millions of iraqis are grateful?

bolder than saying abu gharaib abuses are only minor? i bet you get raped everyday thats why its just minor to you..

we if they haven't found it then its not there..

so where are the wmds now? secretly shipped to syria according to this general who is hawking a book?

3. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the guards only raped one, killed one, cut one person's throat, then I would say it was still more than minor. Of course there were multiple bodies in the new photos, so I don't know exactly how many it was, but like I said even if it is one that was done of each of those things it would seem to be more than minor.

4. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

even rummy and the defense department admit that there are many unreleased photos of rape and murder, even with children.

but thats all minor, right giddy?

5. giddyup

I'm unhappy raining on your admirable idealism, but there are some 140,000 boots on the ground in Iraq, I think.

If we have 1,000 certified lunatics traumatizing prisoners in Iraq, that is less than 1/2% of all soldiers over there.

BTW, I don't think we have/had 1,000 certified lunatics traumatizing prisoners over there-- nowhere near that number.

6. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A very textbook (literally - KUBARK ) CIA-run information extraction facility.

7. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Ok the fact that there are a minority of soldiers engaging in that torturous, illegal, and oppressive behavior does make some sense. Of course under Saddam where there were millions of Iraqis, only a small minority were gassing their own countrymen, and torturing.

But it wasn't a minor occurence.

So the number of troops involved isn't what makes an incident or series of incidents minor or not. The seriousness of the incidents themselves is what makes it minor or not.

But even still it might not be so bad if it was just a few bad troops. Instead we go all the way up to the executive branch and we see Attorney General Gonzales writing memos that actually justify torture. Having the head of our Justice department taking plays from Hussein's playbook is far beyond minor.

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

makes me sad that TJ or bigtexx didnt reply to my post. :( :(

oh well maybe next time.

9. giddyup

1963, huh? Bush was in junior high. Gonzales was in diapers. Cheney was shooting skeet at the University of Wyoming and Rumsfeld was writing for Jack Paar.

I thought all this horror was an invention of <b>this</b> Administration?

10. giddyup

Well, see, that's the problem: Saddam viewed his own citizens as Enemy Combatants and treated them thusly. What a Leader!

11. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Only in as much as they authorized it.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

Exactly. It was wrong when Saddam did it, and it was wrong when U.S. personnel did it. It is just wrong period, and in no case is it minor.