1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will the ROCKET win the Cy Young Award?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by shawn786, Sep 27, 2004.

?

Will the ROCKET win the Cy Young Award this year?

1. Yes

101 vote(s)
    84.9%
  2. No

18 vote(s)
    15.1%
  1. shawn786

shawn786 Member

I know he already has 6 of these sitting at home, but it looks like he's about to have 7. What do you guys/girls think?

2. shawn786

shawn786 Member

And that was suppose to be nO!

3. codell

codell Contributing Member

IMO, it should be in the bag for Roger.

Can't make a case for Pavano, since Roger's #s are better all across the board, plus Roger's team has a better record.

Can't make a case for Schmidt, since Roger has both a better record and ERA.

Same thing with Oswalt.

Johnson should finish 2nd. I just can't see him finishing ahead of Roger, considering the fact that he might finish with a at or below .500 record and his ERA is only a lil better than Roger's.

4. PhiSlammaJamma

Well, we all know it's going to come down to media hype. So if someone busts out a big game when it counts. That's gonna be your Cy Young. It's just like a presidential election. All the candidates are good. Who's got impact.

5. Stack24

Stack24 Contributing Member

Unless they give it to Oswalt i don't think there is anyone worth getting it this year other than Clemens. The guy should have so many more wins already if the astros had scored some runs and didn't give him so many no decisions.

6. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

Unless the Rocket gets absolutely SHELLED in his next start, he's looking at CY Award #7

7. redgoose

redgoose Contributing Member

It's in the bag after his last start.

He would really have to get pounded in his next start and possibly 2nd to lose it.

Sure, RJ has the best ERA and strikeout numbers, but he plays for a losing team so he's out of it. Shmidt has pitched poorly when it has mattered most and raising his ERA so he's out of it. Oswalt was Roger's only competition left, but Roger's numbers are better than his.

Case closed and a great story for the media and men over the age of 40. :)

8. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

randy johnson has been the best pitcher in the national league this year and should win the award. however, the voters don't like the record and the media absolutely loves clemens (note the cy young he stole from freddy garcia) so clemens will win it barring a huge collapse. i kinda wish he'd get the ERA back above 3.19 so he won't finish with a better career ERA than Ryan, but i doubt that'll happen. plus, getting to facing the brewers in back to back starts and missing the giants helped and he took full advantage by blanking them for like 15 innings which gives him a huge finish while the rest have struggled.

crazy how 2 40 year olds have been the best pitchers in the national league and a 40 year old will win the MVP.

9. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

OSWALT

10. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

okay, i didn't realize peavy had pitched so many innings (i think 160+). actually, he's had the best year of anyone considering his ERA is way lower than anyone's (2.25). and zambrano could be argued to be better than johnson. maybe even sheets over clemens but maybe not. so really clemens is more like 4th but he'll still get it.

11. rockets-#1

rockets-#1 Contributing Member

It's all Roger, baby. It would be a travesty, a sham, and a mockery if he doesn't win his 7th Cy Young this year. It'd be a trave-sham-ockery!

12. lalala902102001

I think that Clemens will win it.

The reason that Roger will get it is because the Rocket has been the most consistent pitcher in the NL this year. Guys like Schmidt, Sheets, Pavano, etc. all had tough stretches when they just flat out sucked. Roger, however, has been rock solid throughout the season. For a 42-year-old man who just changed leagues, that is unbelievable.

The only seriouis challengers to Roger, IMO, are Johnson and Peavy. Big Unit had a great season as usual, but due to his awful DB team, his record is barely above 500. How often do you have a Cy Young winner with a 500 record? However, he did pitch a perfect game this year and that may get him some votes. Peavy has quietly had a phonomenon year. If he didn't miss all those games at the beginning of the season he probably would get the Cy Young this year. The thing against him is that he just doesn't have enough hype around him. Many sports writers may not even think about him when they cast their votes for the Cy Young award.

Overall, I'm 90% confident that Roger will get his seventh Cy Young. We should really appreciate the opportunity that we've had to watch this legendary pitcher this year. With all the uncertainty about the pitchers these days, there may never be another one like the Rocket.

13. cheshire

cheshire Contributing Member

RJ for me. In a decent team, he would lead the ML in W's.

Also, he and Santana have near identical stats except W-L and Santana should lock up his 1st CY.

14. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

Either Roger or Roy... Either way an astro gets the award. BTW wasn't Oswalt robbed about 2 yrs ago for the Cy Young Award?

15. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Peavy is the man in the NL this year. I drafted him and Santana in my fantasy baseball league this season(in the future I'll be offering my fantasy scouting services to the highest bidder ;) ). If he wasn't on the shelf for a month or two, he really could have put up some really nice numbers.

16. Behad

Behad Contributing Member

So did you win your league??:p

17. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Tomorrow could clinch it, or lose it (?) for Clemens. If he pitches and wins (particularly in impressive fashion) and if it clinches the Wild Card 'Pennant' (sic) then inscribe his name in the hardware, nellie...

18. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

:mad:

Unfortunately fade's team was hanging out at the BALCO labs two weeks ago and beat me by about 3 or 4 saves.

It's all good because being underrated all season, the only team to win over 30 games, in addition to kicking your Utilities SteamRollers around the last 2 weeks have dulled the pain of that loss.

;)

19. vaioavan63

vaioavan63 Contributing Member

When are they going to give out the Cy young award?? After the Astros win the Worl Series or before????

20. shawn786

shawn786 Member

Haha good question i think itll be before :)