1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will next year be Lin's best season?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mario_v, Jul 7, 2013.

1. mario_v

mario_v Member

I know people are sick and tired of talking about Jeremy Lin. I thought this deserved its own thread, my post would probably get lost in all the thousand of Lin threads. I am NOT a LOF but I think he will excel as a distributor and scorer with the addition of Howard.

I think Lin was not put in a position to succeed. Lin's bread n butter is the pick n roll. We saw how deadly he was in New York, throwing lobs and bounce passes to Tyson Chandler. In Houston, he had arguably the center with the worst hands I have ever seen in Asik (love asik).

Lin's playmaking was limited with the addition of Asik. Not being able to throw lobs or bounce passes to Asik (terrible hands) made Lin a little bit predictable on offense. Asik does not command respect on the pick n roll, defenders sag off of him and focus on Lin. Plus, how many times did we see Asik fumble, bobble the ball on easy spoon fed passes?

Not to mention lin was relegated to a spot up shooter when Harden was on the floor, but I won't get into that.

With Howard now on board, I believe will see more of the old Lin. Howard has great hands for a center. I believe the Lin+Howard combo will be pretty good. That's if Lin doesnt get traded, lol.

By the way, I may come off as a little harsh on Asik. I love Asik, he's a great defensive player and rebounding double-double machine. He's just really bad on offense. :p

2. timelordtwo

timelordtwo Member

3. mhch720

mhch720 Member

Hahahaha, nice find, that's hilarious!!!

4. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Lin is a PnR pg. We're not dumping Lin unless it's for decent value. A player that can contribute and is on an expiring deal would be ideal.

5. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I sure hope so if he's still with the rockets. I think it will because hopefully he works on his shot enough where he isn't chicken **** to shoot when defenders leave him wide open. On the other hand, I don't know how I would deal with the additional LOFs that will join the board. I hate filtering through the biased and sometimes r****ded comments and arguments.

6. shortfuse3

shortfuse3 Member

Lin's best season will always be the 4 weeks he played in New York. If you thought he wasn't being "utilized" correctly last year, he will definitely not be "utilized" correctly this year.

First off Dwight is a post up center who doesn't like running pick and rolls.

Secondly, Harden is a superstar wing who will dominate the ball on the perimeter. If you look at history, every superstar wing dominated the ball, and their PG was only used for spot up shooting:

LeBron (in Cleveland) had Boobie Gibson and Mo Williams
    Wade (pre LeBron) had Jason Williams
    Kobe had Derek Fisher

If you have a star wing you really don't need a "playmaking" PG, because a "playmaking" PG would be redundant to what the star wing brings (also playmaking).

7. Old Man Rock

Old Man Rock Contributing Member

This post just shows how ignorant you are.

8. DREAMsTeam

DREAMsTeam Member

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  9. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

Lin is going to thrive with Howard. Lin attacks and knows how to pass. Unfortunately, Asik can't finish like Howard. I expect Lin to improve on his apg and ppg.

10. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

JLin should be play pretty good next season. It should be better than last year if not Linsanity standard (he probably never will as he is not the center of the offence with both Harden and now Howard). As long as he is distributing the ball, finding the open man, doing great pnr with Howard, cutting and attack the rim, he will be very good already. His shots will come with more consistency. He showed it last year after the ASG. For all we know, some of the greatest guards out there like Kidd, Parker, Rhondo etc couldn't shoot any where close to what Lin could shoot in his first full year. Give the kid more time to get the shooting up to par and he would be a deadly combination with the other stars on the team.

11. conquistador#11

hey, if you play point guard for the rockets, you have to adjust to controversy. It's a team tradition. That said, those that think he won't improve because he is jeremy lin, then those guys are getting high from the same product that think lin is better than tony parker.

I see 15/8 for next year.

shortfuse, i've seen you guys react when said wing guy wasn't getting any foul calls and was going 1 on 4 and turning the ball over more than lin. We are at are best when the ball is moving. No sticky icky.

12. mario_v

mario_v Member

Rockets are a pick and roll heavy team, yet we had Asik who's maybe one of the worst finishers in the league. Dwight changes that, hes THE best finisher in the league.

13. whoisray

whoisray Contributing Member

We need our back court to attack and attack. I don't understand why everyone wants a PG as a spot up shooter!?!? This is not the 90s.

14. mario_v

mario_v Member

This. Everyone seems to want a spot up shooter at the PG position. But what happens if Harden gets injured? We no longer have a go to perimeter scorer. We need guards that can penetrate.

15. uncarved

uncarved Member

Correction, Dwight is a pick and roll center, who likes posting up. The problem is that all the advance stats say he's not very good at posting up.

As you yourself said in the "Dwight Howard's Advanced Stats" thread:

16. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

Not to mention, even on occasions Asik caught the ball cleanly, seldom he can go up strong and finish if an opposing C around.

Lin assist will go up at least by 3, not sure about his pt thou, just the fact that now we have another scoring option in D12.

17. Sanity2disChaos

Lin is being shopped....with very few suitors.per rocketguy Twitter

18. JasonXXX

JasonXXX Member

"Will next year be Lin's best season?" is the same question to me as "Will Lin be allowed to play PG?"

I believe the answer is no. Aside from the games where Harden is injured (and they don't re-sign Harden's backup PG Carlos Delfino), Lin will not thrive as a player with no role and no respect from McHale/Harden.

1 person likes this.
  19. CARoxNut

CARoxNut Member

sorry to tell, Lin will be our starting pg.

20. fxbillie

fxbillie Member

With Howard, Lin's assists per game should go way up as Howard is a much better pnr center than Asik. That also mean Rocket's offence will be even more potent than last year. They should be the #1 offence next year. Now if only Mchale will focus more on the defensive side of thing, watch out OKC and Spur.