1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Military members and families vote for Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Rileydog, Jun 7, 2020.

1. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I'd like to hear from military members and families at CF. I believe most military members and families are republican, believe in chain of command, and nearly always support the sitting commander-in-chief. I think those are well-accepted, general statements of fact. CF military - what is the impact of the recent deluge of high profile, public rebukes of the sitting president by military leaders?

I say "deluge" because even one public rebuke of a sitting president is nearly unheard of. Further, the nature of the rebukes are even more striking than the number, as they strike at the heart of core military values: defense of the Constitution, character, ethics, integrity, honesty, leadership.

- Jim Mattis, former Secretary of Defense in the Trump administration, 44 years in the Marines, retired General, former commander of the US Joint Forces Command and NATO's Supreme Allied Commander.

"When I joined the military, some 50 years ago, I swore an oath to support and defend the Constitution. Never did I dream that troops taking that same oath would be ordered under any circumstance to violate the Constitutional rights of their fellow citizens—much less to provide a bizarre photo op for the elected commander-in-chief, with military leadership standing alongside. . . .Donald Trump is the first president in my lifetime who does not try to unite the American people—does not even pretend to try. Instead, he tries to divide us. We are witnessing the consequences of three years of this deliberate effort. We are witnessing the consequences of three years without mature leadership."

- Mark Esper, current Secretary of Defense, former Secretary of the Army, both under the Trump administration. Broke with the President, denounced invocation of the Insurrection Act to turn the military on private citizens.

John F. Kelly, former Trump Secretary of Defense and Secretary of Homeland Security, retired 4 star Marine General.

“I think we need to look harder at who we elect. I think we should look at people that are running for office and put them through the filter: What is their character like? What are their ethics?”

- Colin Powell, Secretary of State under G.W. Bush; retired General of the U.S. Army, former National Security Advisor and Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff.

We have a Constitution and we have to follow that Constitution and the president has drifted away from it. The one word I have to use with respect to what he's been doing for the last several years — it's a word I would never have used before, I never would have used with any of the four presidents I've worked for — he lies."

JayGoogle, Nook and RayRay10 like this.
  2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Retired military, and I will not vote for Trump. I can't stand for a man that divides our country. One thing I learned from 20 years of working with people from all walks of life is that we can all learn to respect each other and work together to achieve goals. No matter how different we may seem, we can learn from each other, and do great things when we make the effort together, vice divided.

Trump is all about dividing people, bullying those who disagree with him. He doesn't talk to, and try to understand why people are angry, hurting, scared, or suffering. In my eyes and heart I can't stand for a leader like that.

3. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Just to throw out a number I would guess a +10% swing to Biden would be the upper limit.

4. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

What this translates when it comes to voting, who knows.

Article is from December 2019.

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/...ppy-with-trump-new-military-times-poll-shows/

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. Rileydog

if you don’t mind me asking, pre-frump were you republican, Democrat or depends on the candidate in a given election cycle?

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

I never considered myself either or really, but did vote Republican in the past.

RayRay10 and Rileydog like this.
  7. RayRay10

RayRay10 Houstonian

Retired military...I’m not sure the military leans either which way. There are some that definitely make it known that they lean a certain way, but I think that’s about the same as the general public. For instance, I once thought that the military tended to lean right, especially the officer Corp, but I was surprised at how many military members came out in support of Hillary during the last election.

As far as me, recent events haven’t changed my mind, I’ve always been anti-Trump. I mostly leaned Republican until halfway through W’s 2nd term...eyes started opening to what exactly the GOP stood for at that point. Won’t even vote for any GOP candidate now due to how much the party has capitulated to Trump and their base.

8. deb4rockets

Supporting Member

What service were you in? I was Navy.

RayRay10 likes this.
  9. generalthade_03

generalthade_03 Contributing Member

Old vet here. Orange man all the way. He’s not done yet, give him a chance and you’ll see. Forget all the rough talks, crassness and uncivil behaviors, sometimes the right man for the job is an acquired taste.
    BTW-Military is a community just like in the civilian world, you have people with all sorts of political stripes. Mostly, we keep it to ourselves, just take orders and keep our eyes on the missions.

pgabriel and cml750 like this.
  10. Rileydog

so all kidding aside, how do you process the criticisms levied by the military leaders cited above.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. generalthade_03

When I served, I was pretty naive and green behind the ears. As the years passed, I quickly realized the military is just like the civilian world, you’ve got to play balls(politics) to get ahead. These leaders can say whatever they want about Trump, but if you saw the cultures what I saw when I was in, you’ll take their criticisms with a grain of salt. That does not mean you don’t have honorable military leaders who speak out when they think something is wrong. Nowadays, it’s hard to say, there are so much noise and fake news, one gets fatigued and that’s why I just take it in strides. However; I’m keeping my eyes on Trump though and making sure he’s fulfilling his promises.

pgabriel likes this.
  12. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

This vet and his family want..

T_Man

AleksandarN and RayRay10 like this.
  13. Rileydog

Realpolitik is one school of thought, but I don’t think that’s what you are. Most charitably, I think you suffer from the worst kind of confirmation bias and you, like many trump supporters, will never turn away from the Orange man, not if every general in all the armed forces say he is the worthless piece of crap he shows every day. You process all information in a way that enables you to confirm your commitment to the idiot. There is literally nothing the baby trump can do or say that would cause you to change your mind, right?

AleksandarN, RayRay10 and Eric Riley like this.
  14. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I doubt Trump supporters abandon him until the Rush's and Hannities of the world turn on him.

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. Rileydog

I don’t think general thade is anything more than a caricature. He posts here because he likes ticking people off, it’s beyond me why people get upset at his nonsense.

16. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn't even know he posted in this thread - I put him on ignore

17. generalthade_03

Ok, you got me. You think he’s the devil and I don’t. So what, life goes on, you’ll do you and I’ll do me, fair enough?

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Will any of the votes be counted accurately?

Rocket River

mikol13, RayRay10 and Nook like this.
  19. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

he is shockingly unpopular with the military considering he is republican and the military leans heavily towards the GOP.

i never served, but i have several people close to me who have or are active duty including a couple high ranking officers with multiple tours in afghanistan and iraq under their belts...they hate trump. the two words used most to describe him are "narcissist" and "a**shole". again, i never served but the characteristics the military embodies include self-sacrifice, teamwork, honor, integrity, discipline, honesty, commitment, ect...trump embodies NONE of these and they definitely take notice.

fat-boy said john mccain was not a war hero b/c he was captured. then he attacked a gold star mother...the mother of a slain marine. marines are probably the most tight-knit branch of the military and when he did that he lost many of them forever.

trumps habit of announcing policy via tweet is a major problem for the chain of command. officers are constantly having to tell their troops to ignore the president and that its not official policy until their hear it from their CO's. think about how absurd that is.

there is probably a wide gap b/t his popularity among officers vs non-officers...but again, the fact that a republican president is as unpopular as he is in the military overall says a lot.

#19 jo mama, Jun 7, 2020
    Last edited: Jun 7, 2020
    VooDooPope and RayRay10 like this.
  20. generalthade_03

I was responding to your post in a polite and civil manner and you got to throw some insults around. If you want some circle jerk, why ask for another opinion? If you don’t agree with someone, don’t engage with him if you can’t refrain from personal insults. It shows me that you lefties are very fragile emotionally. I have seen you pile on people you disagree with, calling them racists on a consistent basis, crapping on Trump every post and thread that you’re in. I have never gone after any of you for any of that, and label you guys as troll, caricature, instigator etc.... Why are you guys being a bunch of insecure sissies? It’s a lot more fun being on a place with diversity of opinions then in a place where you have to march in locksteps. Thanks for letting me know who you are and I’ll just put you on ignore.