1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Will Dierker Be Back?

Discussion in 'Other Sports' started by BobFinn*, Sep 15, 2000.

1. BobFinn*

BobFinn* Contributing Member

Thursday September 14 07:16 PM EDT
    Decision on Dierker a tough one for Astros
    By Ken Rosenthal - The Sporting News

Five more questions facing Houston
    Larry Dierker was just what the Astros needed after three seasons under Terry Collins, a down-to-earth communicator who managed by feel instead of by the book.

Three division titles and one intensely disappointing season later, the Astros now must decide whether the pendulum needs to swing back toward a manager who is a keener strategist than Dierker.

Owner Drayton McLane remained non-committal on Dierker's future in an interview with TSN Wednesday. Compelling arguments exist for and against Dierker, and sources close to the Astros are reluctant to guess which way the unpredictable McLane is leaning.

"We've said all the way through that we weren't going to focus on that until the season ended," McLane said. "We'll sit down with Larry and talk it through with him. We want to see where he is, where we think we are, what is best for the Houston Astros."

Is McLane satisfied with Dierker's performance?

"Yes I am," McLane said. "I think he's done well. A lot of circumstances that happened this year were far beyond the control of any of us. We just need to see who might be the best leader for the Houston Astros. But we're very pleased with him."

The question now is whether McLane will act on the wishes of the Astros veterans who reportedly have lost respect for Dierker, or remain loyal to a manager who was his hand-picked selection and remains popular among fans.

The decision is critical, for virtually everyone in baseball agrees that the Astros can return to contention in the National League Central next season.

"I think they can easily bounce back," Reds general manager Jim Bowden said. "They've had a year of adjustment to a new stadium like Coors Field. You win with pitching. And obviously, with (Billy) Wagner being hurt, it has had a huge effect."

Wagner, winner of the NL Rolaids Relief Man Award in 1999, blew nine saves in two months before undergoing elbow surgery. The Astros also lost second baseman Craig Biggio, who tore both the MCL and ACL in his left knee on Aug. 2.

And that wasn't all.

Third baseman Ken Caminiti, starting pitcher Shane Reynolds, pitcher Jay Powell and outfielders Roger Cedeno and Moises Alou all have missed significant time. And yet, the Astros have won eight of their last 10 series, and their 33-26 record since the All-Star break is only one game worse than the division-leading Cardinals.

Clearly, the players haven't quit on Dierker -- in fact, most of them like him personally. What's more, the cost-cutting trades of Mike Hampton, Carl Everett, Derek Bell and Rickey Gutierrez also played a significant role in the team's decline.

Put it all together, and there are plenty of reasons not to fire Dierker. But if the players believe that another manager would give them more of an edge in close games -- and if general manager Gerry Hunsicker shares that assessment -- then the Astros already might be past the point of no return.

Dieker is signed through 2002, and owed $1.5 million in the final two seasons of his contract. It seems doubtful that McLane would pay two managers at once by firing Dierker and hiring a high-profile replacement. More likely, the owner would transfer Dierker to another position, and elevate highly respected bench coach Matt Galante to manager.

Then again, McLane could always dismiss the entire season as an aberration and use the Astros' strong finish as an out.

Which brings us to 2001.

McLane said he plans to raise the payroll from $51 million to the "high 50s," an increase that could enable him to extend Jeff Bagwell's contract and sign a free-agent starting pitcher if he moves another salary (Moises Alou?)

Outfielder Richard Hidalgo and starting pitcher Scott Elarton are emerging stars. Other youngsters -- most notably infielder Julio Lugo, pitcher Wade Miller and third baseman Chris Truby -- have shown promise while filling in for injured players.

If Wagner and Biggio come back healthy, if Alou and Cedeno can be traded for quality pitching, if Hunsicker acquires a stopgap at shortstop until Adam Everett is ready . . .

"We still need to do some things to strengthen ourselves," Hunsicker said. "What this year has demonstrated is that there is still some very serious talent on this ballclub -- certainly more talent than our record will indicate."

The Astros needed to adjust to the losses of Hampton and Everett, to the move from the Astrodome to Enron Field, to the injuries that robbed them of any chance of contending.

Drayton McLane can make a strong case for opening next season with Larry Dierker, but he must determine whether his clubhouse would be receptive to the manager's return.

Once a manager loses his players, it's difficult to get them back.

------------------
    In order to be a success in life, you need 2 things:
    1. Don't tell everything you know.

2. PhiSlammaJamma

I just don't see how anyone could fire him. He lost a Cy Young and MVP candidate. Through no fault of his own. One more year to put together a winning season.

------------------
    humble, but hungry.

3. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I think it may boil down to whether or not you want Dierker or Bagwell. If Lima has any problems with Dierker, all he has to do is look in the mirror and he'll see the real problem. The thing I find interesting, is that Dierker rarely criticizes a player openly, yet if he says the slightest thing, the player get real upset. Case in point, earlier this year after Wagner blew yet another save, Dierker made the comment that it looked like his fastball did not have any movement. Wagner took great exception to that. Perhaps it was due to Wagner's rotten season and he just snapped, but it was certainly a strong reaction to a rather inocuous comment. Biggio and Bagwell have had similar reactions to a similar types of comments.

I like Dierker, but my one complaint is that he is no longer managing as he did his first 2 seasons. He is going 'by the book' more. He is still not as bad as other managers, but I hate seeing players like Meluskey being asked to bunt because the 'book' situation warrants it.

Also, prior to this season (after dumping salaries), they indicated that it opened things up for them to acquire a salary before the trading deadline. Obviously, there was no need for it, but I see them attempting to make a serious free agent acquisition prior to the 2001 season.

------------------

4. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

I don't think he's going anywhere. If he were fired, I'd like to see Felipe Alou become the 'Stros manager.

------------------
    I am the founding member of the Butt-Nekkid Party! White House here we come!

5. BobFinn*

I would like to see him back, but, if he has lost the respect of some players (Lima comes to mind) that is not a good thing. Dierker is not a great strategist, however, most of the players like him and go to war for him.
    It seems like Drayton is trying to put the blame elsewhere. Why is he boosting next years payroll? If he would have kept Hampton and Everett this year, we would be in the hunt. Houston sports team have a reputation of screwing up a good thing, ex. Oilers firing Bum Phillips. All the injuries and all the trades as well as Lima stinking the joint up are not Dierker's fault.

DO NOT FIRE HIM!!!!!

------------------

6. Summer Song Giver

7. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2 on, nobody out, tie game, 10th inning, Meluskey pops up a bunt into a double play.

------------------

8. BobFinn*

You've got to be joking?

------------------