1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WIKILEAKS] Release Vault 7 CIA Hacking Tool Repository

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by ipaman, Mar 7, 2017.

1. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

3. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Dude if you are saying there is no "good" and "bad" in the world, you are deeply deeply confused.

So . . . do you mean terrorists and immigrants and Mexicans are not "bad guys"? So there is no reason to fear them, take special actions about them, and so on. . . .

Any thoughts on murderers and rapists?

Your thoughts are truly f#$%ed.

4. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Interesting timing, right?

[gomer pyle voice]Golly gee, Wikileaks (or however you pernounce that there in Russian) shoor does look indeependent and without narry un egenda. [/gomer pyle voice]

5. ipaman

ipaman Contributing Member

It is sad that your personal bias has corrupted you so much that you are not able to have a clear mind. This is the single scariest tech news I've seen in recent memory. I hope none of you have Samsung TVs or any other products Cia has their hooks in. But it's all fake right, Wikileaks can't be trusted. I'm genuinely upset that Americans don't have a problem with this. Barely has made a dent in the news and cnn forget it. This is the type of stuff that people should march far, this affects everyone. These type of responses could actually make me stop posting in d&d. I can deal with disagreements different viewpoints but this is different. I'm that stunned and shocked.

6. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

You should stop posting then. And the smart TV listening in to your voice chat is literally years old news.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Bad headlines for Trump!

I'm on it!
    [​IMG]

Thanks Puty!
    [​IMG]

Oh but wait...
    [​IMG]

Nook likes this.
  8. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

It's not that Wiki leaks broke the story that's disturbing, but rather the premise that it's already in circulation.

Tie this with the parallel, yet even more disturbing Shadow Brokers auction story makes you wonder if privacy is a thrown away legacy of the last millennium

9. NewRoxFan

I only hope the Russians will snoop into my Samsung fridge and let me know when I need to replace the milk... hate when it goes bad!

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  10. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Did you drop your claim that there are no "good guys" anymore?

If you're scared by this in addition to Mexicans, terrorists, North Korea etc etc, and it's the scariest tech thing that is scaring you today, you haven't been paying attention. What about the Snowden leaks? The NSA, the British, and the French have been doing this for years.

So, it's not that people don't care. It's that this is nothing new.

The US assassinated a US citizen in Yemen, Dude. Wake up.

Check out these lists of Top 10 Most Disturbing Revelations from Snowden:

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2453128,00.asp
    http://mashable.com/2014/06/05/edward-snowden-revelations/#rBQ57iLUMPq3

B-Bob likes this.
  11. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

You got me as close as I can get to roll eyes, but anyway, come on, man: you just pulled a better Pyle than I could muster.

As sirbaihu points out, this CIA release is surprising to people paying attention how? Certainly, the extent to which the files were openly circulating is disturbing, to me at least (and as per Invisible Fan above).

The disturbing thing to me is that both parties are totally on board with this stuff, for the most part. It's like they both want to have it all there for them when they're in power. It's ****ing scary and awful. I just personally assume that anything I plug in these days, or connect to the internet, is collecting and sharing data on my behavior. My wife bought a scale last year that wirelessly uploads data on a person's weight to a graph or some crap on their laptop, and I'm like, oh no, I ain't stepping on that thing. Screw that. I eat a burrito and suddenly my insurance rates change? No thanks. :D And that's the most innocent version of this crap.

But my post was about the "oh gee" timing of this readily available trove coming out now, just as Trump (without evidence) accuses Obama of security crimes. This dossier does not back that up one iota, but it just muddies the waters for the average sideline observer and gets the headlines away from Russia for a while. Ignoring that timing is an odd choice, just as ignoring the contents would be an odd choice too. I'm doing neither.

JeffB likes this.
  12. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

CNN Is totally ignoring this. It has been 6 hours.

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

I don't really get the outrage. Breaking -- CIA knew about vulnerabilities in smart appliances and didn't immediately alert consumers of them?

I certainly haven't parsed through all of the information, so maybe there is something bigger here -- but the outrage I've read from Snowden etc, I honestly don't see it as that big of a deal.

14. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

More like it's been two years, but you're totally right bruh. The MSM is conspiring to hide this news from the American people! I can go dig up a 2013 article for you as well if you'd like.

https://www.cnet.com/news/samsungs-warning-our-smart-tvs-record-your-living-room-chatter/

15. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Yes, Wikileaks certainly have an agenda that is not in favor of the U.S. government. Whether they consider themselves friends of the people is unknown.

B-Bob, you may be suggesting that Wikileaks is working in coordination with Trump. If so, that would be far worse than Watergate, perhaps even treason on the part of Trump (a capital offense).

Regardless, it does seem obvious that one of Trump's main "governing" strategies is to tweet out an accusation of someone doing something bad and going off to play a round of golf.

If Trump did indeed make a baseless accusation of Watergate-level crime against a previous president, that in itself is extremely bad behavior for a president, almost worthy of impeachment in itself. It's gross incompetence at best.

Oh, and don't forget the Russia scandal. Never have I seen so much self-served doo doo on one president's plate.

16. dmoneybangbang

What is privacy in this new digital age? How far should authorities be able to go to prevent attacks?

17. Cohete Rojo

Cohete Rojo Contributing Member

Does this compromise the CIA's integrity? The worst of it may be yet to come.

18. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Don't overreact. After all, this is old news....

19. NewRoxFan

Astrodome likes this.
  20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member