1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    The Timberwolves are roughing up the Nuggets, can they hold on for a Game 2 win? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

[WIFE] Mini Cooper - cool ride or $ux0rz?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by pasox2, Dec 14, 2005.

1. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My wife wants a mini cooper for fun. We could probably get one, but need to sell her volvo. I'd probably buy one used on ebay or Auto trader or something. The dealer is proud of the warrenty, but I don't want to buy new.

So - anyone know whether they break down? Is there pep in that engine to justify the cooper s over the cooper?

She'd still have a SUV for the kids, flooding, travel etc. This would be a toy / in-town car.

On ebay I see a 2002 cooper s with a lot of extras for $ 21,000.00 and a cooper for about $ 16,000.00.

I could post about a b****in' 73 Camaro that's available too, but she doesn't want that. :).

Any feedback appreciated.

2. coma

coma Contributing Member

Normally, I'd say suX0rz, but since I know you, I'd say it's actually kinda cool. It's a lot more spacious inside than it seems. It also has a lot of pep.

3. coma

coma Contributing Member

[​IMG]

4. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

It's a helluva fun, and around $20 grands for a lightly used Cooper S sounds like a decent price.

BTW, it's a lot roomier inside for two people than one might think. And it would be the perfect weekend car (fun car) for you and your wife, IMO.

Try to get one with warranty, however, because you might need it.

5. roxgirl

roxgirl Member

Might i suggest a used S2000 in the low 20's? I own one, and it's a blast to drive.

6. Luckyazn

Luckyazn Contributing Member

Smart Car This is the new car to get .... maded by MERCEDES

[​IMG]

For under 20k I've called some local Mercedes dealership and they mite get the car by next summer. You can get it on ebay for around $26k now.

7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Mini's had fairly decent rankings in the latest consumer reports. There were some issues with its fuel economy and reliability but those weren't extremely major.

The only thing I worry about with a mini is that if you get in a crash you are SCREWED because its just so small and offers so little protection.

Other than that, it's a good car and I enjoyed it the one time I drove one.

8. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

If its a weekend car, I would suggest this too.

9. GBRocket

GBRocket Contributing Member

They are definitely a lot of fun, and if you have kids then they would also be able to enjoy the car too. Usually I would say these are a two seater because no normal sized adults can fit in the back, but for kids its perfect.

They hold the road as well as they hold their price - well. Contrary to what people say they are actually extremely safe, if you do some research you will see all the safety features it has. There is also a big step up in pep from a Cooper to an S - the supercharger isn't just there to look nice. As for the warranty, if it has Mini TLC then it covers everything for 5 years which i guess gives you another 1/2 years before you have to pay for any repairs. I haven't heard about much going wrong with them. A joy to drive. Make sure you get a stick though, an auto doesn't do the car justice.

What else are you considering?

10. swilkins

swilkins Contributing Member

I have seen great reviews on the Mini Coopers.

11. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

Not much info on the Mini, but a weird thing I noticed today..

On the way to lunch today (Before the rain) I saw a mini with this huge sticker running the length of the back window "Things inside the car are larger than they apper" what the hell are they trying to say with that one?? It was an average middle aged man driver BTW..

If you get one dont be "that guy"

12. lpbman

lpbman Member

13. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I read a report that had them ranked dead last (below even Volks) in reliability ~ i'll try to dig it up.

14. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

I would also take the s2000

If you want a car thats fun to drive. A used S4 can drop below 25K and is a blast to drive.

15. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

An S2000 is nice but pricier and tighter inside (if you can believe it).

The mini is a better drive and more unique, IMO.

16. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

S 2000 looks nice, but I also have two daughters, age 4 and 8. They ride where she rides, often. Need the back seat.

Cheetah has the only neg. But I have some intuition the Cheetah knows things. Things dark and unspoken. Maybe not about this, though. ;)

Thanks for replies.

17. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

SmartCar? I have three words: Allison, Rita, Katrina. 'nuff said

18. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I was president of the Houstn MINI Motoring Society when I had my 2003 MINI Cooper S.

I loved that car and wish I still had it.

They are one of the safest cars on the road and have performed well in safety tests.

As far as fun they are the most fun car I've ever driven and I've driven a few. Vettes, boxsters, miata's all fun cars and all with advantanges over the MINI but not as fun to drive on a daily basis.

I took my MINI to a couple open track days at Texas World Speeday and over 2 different days logged over 500 miles on the track. That little car will hang with any thing through the curves, but lacks the top end of the 911's and vettes. I would hit 110 down the front straight and my buddy in his twin turbo 911 would hit 135. I couldn't catch him in the curves but he couldn't make any more time on me there, he had to do it on the straights.

I chased a guy in a boxster s around the track for 3 laps. I could tell he was trying to shake me but never could. On the 4th lap he got sloppy through the S's and spun it off into the grass. He approached me in the pits and wanted a ride. He was amazed at how the car handled and never felt out of control. I saw him at the next open track day I went to and he had a new yellow MCS.

That said I'd buy an 03 or newer due to some early problems.

Oh and I sold mine becuase I have 2 small kids and the wife wanted a more practical family ride. I now have a dodge magnum with the Hemi. Fun to drive but not as fun as the MINI.

19. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Kind of a dick move posting my picture online.

20. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

What is the deal with women and the mini? My wife wanted one because she thinks it is cute? My sister also want one. I talked my wife out of getting a mini (we will be getting a Camry or Accord). ;)