1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why won't Trump lash out at Putin?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by MojoMan, Jul 16, 2018.

?

Would Trump lashing out at Putin have helped solve our problems with Russia, or would it have made t

1. It would have helped resolve them

6 vote(s)
    60.0%
  2. It would have made them worse

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  1. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

people like mojoman and boreby only see two options. you either suck putins dick infront of the whole world OR its nuclear annihilation. sad.

Deckard, dmoneybangbang and superfob like this.
  2. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

3. dmoneybangbang

Everything is a conspiracy theory! Throw out all the babies with the bath water!

Deckard likes this.
  4. dmoneybangbang

Lol. This is all the far right has!

“ Well the Dems want war!!1!!!1”

Lol. That’s cute you think that will work.

5. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

LOL... your sudden concern for us minorities treatment by the CIA is touching but oh so conveniently timed now that your candidate for president sided with russians over American intelligence and law enforcement.

Deckard likes this.
  6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

1. 'Lashing out' is not helpful. Anyone who might have wanted him to lash out is a dumbass. It would have been a mockery and totally unbelievable anyway, when Trump is so acquiescent to Russia in every other venue and then 'acts tough' in this one press conference. Putin would not have believed it and would not have changed anything he does because of one piece of theater.

2. The problem here is not that he won't bicker with Putin in public. The problem is that he apparently wants to have some cozier relationship with Putin and Russia and he has not defined for -- much less sold -- the public on what his vision is and how that helps the USA. There's some vague gestures to how Russia is a nuclear power and how they can collaborate on battling Islamic terrorism. And then there's the fact Russia could be a useful ally in the coming struggle with China for world hegemony -- though he never says that and I don't know if that's what he's thinking. He does not address the fact that Putin is a dictator and we historically have been hostile with dictators and insist on democratic reform. He doesn't address that Russia has been hostile to us, not only in the election meddling, but also in supporting our adversaries particularly in the Middle East (Iran, Syria, etc). He doesn't address how much of a threat Russia is to our allies in Europe (oh, but they are our foes now, right?), both militarily (he's building new state-of-the-art tanks that could roll in to Europe) and economically (many EU countries rely on natural gas from Russia). He doesn't explain how Russia could be trusted. So, if he wants to change our relationship with Russia, he should really explain persuasively to the American public why. He will not get support for it outside of his base if he does not explain what the benefit is and how to offset the risks. I would honestly feel a lot better if he would lay out his big, beautiful plan on how we should be best buds with Russia. Even if the plan is stupid, I'd feel better knowing it existed.

3. And given the lack of a well-articulated vision, how can anyone help but wonder if the real reason for his solicitousness is not the national interest at all but his own self-interest, namely that the allegations about him being compromised by Russian intelligence are perhaps true. If it was true, it would seem to square with his pursuit of a closer relationship with Russia without being able to explain the benefit, with the way he damages relationships with European and other allies, with the way he seeks to undermine the special investigation and complains how it interferes with his ability to befriend Russia. It actually works better, to my chagrin, than any other theory I can consider.

Deckard, B-Bob and dmoneybangbang like this.
  7. SWTsig

SWTsig Contributing Member

so let me get this straight - from the same folks who demand we be tough on criminals, almost always support and trust the authoritative figures in cases of police brutality, and constantly derided obama and the entire democratic party as being "soft" on our enemies when exploring diplomatic options (ie Iran, etc.) and even called them "communists" - this same group all of sudden wants to be soft on crime, distrust our entire intelligence community and prefers congenial groveling to our country's biggest enemy in lieu of a hard line stance, even in the face of one of the biggest foreign attacks to our democratic process in history? to a former KGB operative no less??

is that right?

8. Major

Major Member

The question is not why he won't lash out at Putin - that's sort of irrelevant.

It's why won't he lash out at Putin while he WILL lash out at literally almost anyone else: Iran, North Korea, England, the EU, Canada, Venezuela, Democrats, the media, his justice department, judges, individual GOP Senators and House members, the intelligence community, and on and on. What is the key difference between Russia and just about everyone else in the world?

9. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Trump Supporters are cucks that fear the might of Russia. They actually think that Russia is stronger now than they were 30 years ago. It's like the Russians won the Cold war and these people think we are their subjects.

Deckard and Rocket River like this.
  10. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

I thought that was the other side. They think Russia somehow managed to take over the presidency during a time after great financial depression and sanctions which is something they could not do during a time they had confirmed spies in the FBI.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I am not speaking for you. You are the one that said you were happy about it.

1. I certainly have problems with actions done by the CIA, NSA, and FBI. I am all in favor of correcting those problems. That doesn't change the fact that they do risk their lives to protect the United States. Both things are true. With the evidence presented against Russia there is no doubt that Putin ordered his intel agents to attack our democratic elections to help Trump. That was an espionage attack. You said you were happy that Trump wouldn't stand up to that attack.

2. What is sad is that you are uninformed or willing to ignore what was working. Our sanctions and actions played a part in crippling the Russian economy. They've been in a recession since 2104. They are struggling to have those sanctions lifted because they are working. Putin coming to power and holding power is because of actions that are done in the sovereign nation of Russia. That is beyond our control. What is sad is that according to your words you are happy to have the President acting like a fanboy to a murdering Russian dictator.

12. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

No, war is not the other option. You are the one bringing up war. Standing up to Russia doesn't result in war. You want to insert that into the argument so you have something to argue against, but it just isn't the case.

You reducing Russia's attacks to just the DNC is omitting the actual facts and extent of their attack. But even if that was all they did, the DNC are American citizens too and deserve to be protected from foreign hostilities.

edwardc likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It really is if you are saying "whatever it takes", because that's what it would take to ensure that the Russians don't operate an ineffective troll farm or hack a political party looking for dirt. So again, you want a war in which millions of people will die because the Russians had the audacity to do what the US has been doing all across the globe for a century. Let's throw out diplomacy, because that won't ensure success and anyone who attempts diplomacy will be attacked for it, let's just go straight to a war where millions will die because our friends on the left are upset about losing an election and they want to scapegoat Russia for their failures. Makes sense.

If you go the whiny b**** route where you complain about what happened, not only are you being a massive hypocrite, but you'll be doing nothing but ensuring Russia steps up their efforts next election. Trump throwing a temper tantrum and calling out Putin for lying wouldn't have accomplished anything positive.....but sure that's what our friends on the left say they wanted to happen.

14. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

When I said you do whatever it takes to protect America from hostile attacks, that doesn't mean war. War isn't what it takes to stop that. War would only increase those types of attacks.

Again YOU threw in the idea of war. Why do you think war is what it takes to stop the attacks?

I think diplomacy would be great and really help to stop the attacks. Diplomacy isn't what Trump was engaged in with Putin. Trump was engaged in caving to Putin. That isn't diplomacy or certainly not effective diplomacy.

I would love some diplomacy. I want that more than anything. Trump either isn't willing or capable to engage in diplomacy.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You say you would love some diplomacy, but what you guys are throwing a b**** fit over was the president being diplomatic rather than calling out Putin for lying. I mean, you get that right? If you want to work with someone to prevent something from happening again, you don't get there by hypocritically accusing them of lying about something the US wouldn't admit to either.

I know, you guys wanted more saber rattling and less diplomacy, after all the DNC was hacked and that is equivalent to Pearl Harbor or 9-11 according to some of our friends here on the left. That said, I think a path with less hostility is probably best. If they keep it up, then you get hostile. In 2012 the Obama administration, led by Hillary Clinton attempted to interfere in the Russian election and that's what led to the next 6 years of hostility including the Crimea invasion. Responding with hostility is only going to lead to more hostility until you are in open war.

16. dmoneybangbang

“Lash out” is just an excuse our resident Trumpers are using to side step Trump’s performance.

Rocket River likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

This new breed of far right is a bit all of over the place....

To add to the law and order theme, they have a done a 180 on “free markets” and “capitalism”.

edwardc and Deckard like this.
  18. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

If you want to equate the US to a country run by a confirmed murderer just leave. Putin and his agents have killed people all over europe. If you want to compare that to the United states the GTFO because we're done here. You aren't here to defend Trump, you're here to throw **** on our flag in the hopes that it distracts from acts of war that Putin has committed.

Deckard and edwardc like this.
  19. FranchiseBlade

Supporting Member

What Trump did wasn't diplomacy.

If you want to prevent something from happening again you are suggesting that we should pretend it didn't happen. You are calling Trump's refusal to stand by his intel agencies diplomacy. Pretending something didn't happen and refusing to acknowledge the evidence that it happened in front of the person who ordered the offense isn't how you work with them to prevent it from happening again.

What a silly idea. No wonder you agree with what Trump did.

A better way to prevent it from happening again is to say look we have this evidence showing what you did. It was wrong, and we won't tolerate it happening again. Explain that there are many options available to take should that continue.

The Obama administration did some limited support with Putin's opposition. That's great. We need more of that. Putin doesn't have fair elections. There are no legitimate Russian elections with which to interfere.

Putin has murdered and imprisoned political opponents, journalists, militarily invaded Ukraine, shot down a Malaysian airlines plane killing hundreds of passengers, attacked the Democracy of the United States. It is correct for the U.S. to support opposition to Putin unless he at least takes steps to change his ways.

edwardc likes this.
  20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Ah, so what you are saying is that you judge the actions of a country by their leader? The US was led by Obama so nothing we did could be wrong, but since Russia is led by a murderous dictator, that means that when they retaliate for attempted election interference with attempted election interference it's much worse? Potentially on par with 9-11 or Pearl Harbor according to some of you guys.

That's just a brilliant level of analysis, I'm glad you chimed in.