1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why the Jazz can’t beat the Rockets with Gobert -bballbreakdown

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by khanhdum, May 1, 2018.

1. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

Didn’t see this posted

Nivos, napalm06, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

It isn't just against the Rockets. Cs have to be able to competently guard PnRs against good offenses.

There was no C for either team in the starting lineups for Warriors/Pels game 1. Neither The Fool nor Peculiar played for the Warriors at all.

The bottom line is if a big, not-too-mobile C can't destroy smaller players on the offensive end, he can be turned into a major liability.

da_juice and jboslett like this.
  3. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

Probably, but I am 100% sure they have no chance at all without him. Gobert is the only reason Utah can be scary. Take him out and they have nothing. I would love it if they give Gobert the Kanter treatment, it will lead to a clean sweep. If they do not play Gobert no game will be a single digit victory.

Gobert is an amazing rim protector, you saw how important he is against Westbrook. But this also shows the difference between Westbrook and Harden. Westbrook can only play one way, and if you take that away (by having someone like Gobert) he is terrible. Harden has different ways he can beat you. Take away his shots at the rim he will shoot the three or pass to an open man.

da_juice, bulkatron and D-rock like this.
  4. Agent94

Agent94 Member

Did you watch that series? Westbrook was amazing. The problem with OKC is that Carmelo is garbage now. So they have two guys who can score and then nothing. Adams can do a little bit and then you are stuck with guys like Corey Brewer making plays.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

westbrook was not amazing. he had one good game and that was the desperation comeback down from 25. thats been his problem his whole career. he doesnt adjust to games and plays the exact same way every single game. he did exactly what utah wanted him to do and did the same thing hou wanted him to do last year. talented player yeah but iq sucks period

6. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

Let me start by saying I did not watch much of the Utah/OKC games.

Westbrick looks amazing cause he does so much. Which is his problem. Give me the ball, a week, and I could put up some amazing stuff.

Ok, maybe a month.

He doesn't trust his role-players. Last year in the playoffs, the RPs were making ~ 50% of their shots, but didn't shot many. Why? I would say it was because Westbrick had the ball too much and took too many. individual player, not a team player.

photojoe likes this.
  7. Fullcourt

Fullcourt Contributing Member

Westbrook was "amazing" for exactly 3 quarters out of 24 in that series. Until game 4, he'd had the worst playoff performances of his career. I don't' see how one could watch that series and walk away thinking Russ was "amazing".

vlaurelio likes this.
  8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

46 points on 43 shots is amazingly __________

photojoe likes this.
  9. arno_ed

arno_ed Contributing Member

And that comeback started when gobert was off the court because of foul trouble.

10. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Did you watch the series? Westbrook was awful until they called a BS 4th foul on Gobert and took him out of game 4. Then he played out of his mind because there was no rim protection. I remember seeing a stat that said Westbrook was shooting 20 percent vs Gobert.

The difference between Harden and Westbrook is pace. Westbrook only plays fast and Gobert can easily commit to Westbrook and cover up his shot and passing lanes. While Harden plays at such a slow and controlled tempo that Gobert has no idea whether to guard him or watch for the lob. Countless times in game 1 he was caught in no mans land between harden and Capela completely hopeless. Harden sees Gobert and slows down to wait for Gobert to commit before shooting or passing and completely takes him out of the game.

11. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

i didn't watch the video but what's the proposed solution... that they move Favors to the 5 and play small ball? If that's the solution Capela is about go go for 30/10 every game this series.

12. jakedasnake

jakedasnake Member

I will try not to get too far ahead of myself here but you are right. that is why we have to figure out how to neutralize Draymond Green if/when we play GS as he always seems to affect shots at the rim somehow with his positioning. I like the idea of spreading him out wide on PJ or Luc or RA and that way he can't switch on pick and rolls and also can sag in the lane or else we will have a wide open 3.

As for the Jazz series and also Zaza next series, just keep taking it at them and forcing the issue.

13. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Relentless
    Unimaginative
    Silly
    Selfish
    Epic
    Low-IQ
    Ludicrous

vlaurelio and slothy420 like this.
  14. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

The proposed solution is that Gobert has to be willing to play further out on the 3 point line when switches do occur, because he can actually prevent shots, but then the Jazz have to figure out how to protect the rim. As of now he's just hovering around the paint in no-man's land.

15. rusHour

rusHour Contributing Member

I honestly stopped the video after the first few comments. The whole "live by the three, die by the three" is a little redundant here. Yes, when the Rockets dont hit their 3s we become a "more beatable" team but that dosnt mean we lose. As we all have seen, the Rockets have more ways this year to beat you. So the opening statement rubbed me a little the wrong way... I guess it was his way of being "cute"
    <end rant> o_O;)

16. Bobsputin

Bobsputin Member

is it as simple as ...

GSW switches all the time. Have him switch to an off-player, then have that off-player positioned away from Harden and CP3. Sounds too easy.

17. photojoe

photojoe Member

These videos have become so much more annoying since he started adding the ads right in the middle of the video.

I get it. You want to get paid for posting these videos.

But that means that I don't want to watch anymore.

napalm06 likes this.