1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why so much hate from Kenny Smith?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kmart9419, Nov 21, 2006.

1. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

I'm watching the Knick rerun right now with mike breen and kenny smith. Breen is heaping praise on Yao and kenny tries to shoot him down everytime.

On tmac's comment on Yao being the best center in the league, Ks goes on a rant on how oneal made trips to the finals and his rings.

Yao doesn't make anybody better. shaq made penny, kobe, and wade. In my opinion, shaq is lucky to have a second superstar everywhere he went. Penny was truly a superstar in his own right. Kobe is even more dominant with shaq gone. Wade carried his team to the eastern finals the year before shaq came on and he is carrying the team now with him out. Remember, orlando passed up a superstar in chris webber with the top pick that year for penny. either way, oneal would had superstar talent on his team.

Breen mentions Yao free throw shooting is extraordinary for such a big man. KS then goes, I don't think that's real important. He can't understand why anybody can't do it. its all repetition. Breen says Yao is shooting 87%. That's when KS made the comment, then breen asked KS about what his percentage was. He mumbled something in the 80s. KS should tell shaq free throw shooting is easy.

On one possession, he saying curry is playing yao well because he's keeping him out of the paint. Jeez, curry was getting owned.

Can't believe he an ex-rocket the way he keeps denigrating his old team.

#1 kmart9419, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  2. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

You do mean Kenny Smith right?

3. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

That would be Kenny Smith, but I agree. I don't know what his problem is.

4. jeremyang2002

jeremyang2002 Contributing Member

Stay away from donkey-ass-kisser!!!

5. Luffy1

Luffy1 Member

A lot of analysts who continue to hate on Yao are former black nba players....just saying...

6. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

lol at kenny thomas

Smith is a racist

thats all I got to stay

very disappointing analysis from him last night

7. KeepKenny

KeepKenny Contributing Member

maybe les managed to piss him off like he did barkley.

Charles did say that Les did not pay him what he had promised.

Then again, maybe Kenny's a xenophobe. Wasn't it he who badmouthed every single foreign player during the draft a few years back?

8. Yaozer

Yaozer Member

Who cares if they're black, white, or orange.. analysts still love riding Shaq's rod. Especially Kenny.. It seems like the analysts that were ex-rockets turn out to be idiots (ie Barfley, Ken).

Kenny wasn't that much of a player anyways, if it wasn't for him riding on Hakeem's tail, he wouldn't be ANYTHING.

Kenny puts the Anal in analyst.

9. forchette49

forchette49 Contributing Member

Haha, racist, I'm not so sure...

But luffy's comment above is interesting, I'm not sure how big Yao's posse is, but I bet it's nowhere near the size of Shaq's...

And yes, I meant "posse" you guys, sheesh!

10. FFz

FFz Member

are you kidding me? kenny smith a racist? This guy loves China. he goes to china or japan every other summer.

11. Hayesfan

Hayesfan Contributing Member

Jon Barry hasn't been an idiot, but then, he played with Yao, so maybe that makes the difference.

12. kmart9419

kmart9419 Contributing Member

Here's another stupid comment. On the block on yao by nate. Breen was going through the rule book about a shot attempt not ending until the shooter feet hits the floor. on the replay, nate definitely hit yao while he was still in the air. Before Breen can finish, KS interrupts him and goes "psst, he's 7 5." Breen then goes I was trying to say it was a foul. Damn Kenny, Nate has a 4-6 feet vertical for Pete's sake.

Too bad most referees look at it the same way.

13. thatboyz

thatboyz Contributing Member

Actually, Kenny's analysis was pretty accurate. He said that Shaq makes others around him better and has rings, and that's a pretty good argument. As far as free throw shooting is concerned, he's absolutely right in saying everyone in the NBA should shoot 80+%. He didn't say Eddy Curry is doing a good job against Yao at all, he kept pointing out his mistakes. He's a straight shooter, and I love that.

He also called 5-6 of T-Mac's shots make/miss, and he was right every time. He pointed out a very interesting stat, T-Mac only has 2 dunks thus far this season.

14. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Actually, even with Hakeem, he wasn't anything special. He gave you ever so slightly more than what Alston gives you. His best years, actually, were probably without Hakeem. Kenny's first three years in Sacramento he had pretty good numbers. One could even argue that he would have been better statistically without Hakeem. Of course, he wouldn't have won jack.

Funny thing is 610 had an interview with him before the game started where he praised Yao. He basically said that Yao was every bit the offensive player Hakeem was, just not so gifted defensively.

There are a lot of similarities between the championship teams and this years version:

Kenny = Rafer
    Drexler = T-Mac
    Horry = Battier
    Hakeem = Yao
    Cassel = Luther
    Chucky = Chucky

15. abiko

abiko Member

Absolutely true.

16. texanskan

texanskan Contributing Member

Lots of the black analysts show their flat out racism quite "frankly" often

some more than others, and some are just good analystis ie. Greg Anthony.

17. wnes

wnes Contributing Member

Nonsense.

Criticizing Yao's game doesn't necessarily make one a China/Chinese-hating racist. YOH maybe, but that's it. OTOH, making annual trips to China doesn't AT ALL make one a China/Chinese-lover, either.

#17 wnes, Nov 21, 2006
    Last edited: Nov 21, 2006
  18. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Sorry but you are all wrong! They are just afraid of Shaq, they try to avoid saying anything that would smack of a hint that they are moving camp from O'Neill to Yao, in fear of what might happen. It also indicates that in their subconscious they fear reprisals from Shaq and their mutual following and retinue.

19. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Kenny was dissin on Vspan too, say who couldn't keep in front of Nate Robinson. If Vspan can stay in front Dwade, he can stay in front of Nate.

Kenny is a tool and he is buying into his fame a little too much. Kenny needs to thank Dream for his job because without dream, Kenny would be a nobody.

20. rocketmingles

rocketmingles Contributing Member

I Said it Once, and I'll say it again, I hate Kenny Smith, and That's Official