1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why So Much Hate Against One of the Rockets' Best Playoff Performers Since 1995?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by jbasket, Jan 26, 2015.

1. platypus

platypus Member

You see a lack of effort, I see a guy who is playing hurt because he understands if he sits out games we may lose our seeding in the west.

Dwights injury is probably not gonna get worse but it will nag him. I fully expect him to come back after the asg and dominate.

I give him the benefit of the doubt because without Dwight we would not even sniff the playoffs.

2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I'm sure the injury has something to do with his inability to physically dominate like he has in the past BUT:

The more I watch him play , the it appears he's selfish in that he wont do what's best for the team. That being do something on the offensive end more efficient than posting up in a traditional sense. He's never been particularly good at in that aspect.
    Early in the season when he was setting hard picks and rolling to the rim with authority this offense was hell on wheels , one highlight reel dunk after another.
    I cant come up with any reason , injury included other than being selfish in wanting the perception that he is carrying the team that one gets thru those post touches rather than doing something he is obviously better at.

He's a garbage man around the rim , not Timmy Duncan hitting jumpers off the glass , not Shaq backing defenders down and dunking them in the bucket along with the ball not Hakeem mesmerizing defenders with his footwork and damn sure Kareem hitting shy hooks ..... (Did I show my age?).

Dwight is a more physically gifted version of ..... Omer Asik and refuses to accept that fact.

That is why this team played its best offensive basketball when Dwight was out and Tarick Black was on the court setting hard picks , rebounding , defending and making a living off of scoring thru Harden on the offensive end.
    All those little things Black did made life easier for the rest of the offense in getting open looks. With Howard on the court those things just don't happen.

Dwight's a damn good player and could be part of the solution rather than the problem , it just appears to me from the outside looking in that he's more about Dwight's legacy as a big man than championships. Thing is , his legacy will be measured by the number of championships his team wins ... Not how many jump hooks he missed. McHale catering to him by allowing those post touches doesn't help ....

Nearly 40% of those traditional post touches end in a turnover , that means no shot. He only converts ~42% of those shots from the post into buckets.

He finishes nearly 80% of his assisted shots with a basket.

The numbers speak for themselves.

3. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

The TFor3 quoted by the OP is NOT me. I have no spaces b/t the characters in da moniker

I still believe in Superman
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

Thx

#43 Tfor3, Jan 26, 2015
    Last edited: Jan 26, 2015
  4. Audioout

Audioout Member

5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Look, I don't hate the guy, but he is not helping us win ATM, and if it is injury then sit him out, because we are better without an injured him.

If he will never get better, then severely limit his minutes.

Do whatever is best for the team, period.

DD

6. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Dude, nobody hates Dwight Howard

Hate is reserved for players like Scottie Pippen

7. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

Why are you posting stats from last playoffs, when everyone complaining about Dwight are COMPLAINING ABOUT DWIGHT'S PLAY THIS YEAR.

This is meaningless.

All it takes is you to watch a few games to realise Dwight is not playing the same as Dwight last year.

8. Asian Sensation

I like Dwight... but if we had Marc Gasol in place of him we'd be better.

9. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

I agree with everything you said. For whatever reason, he seems to consistently stall our offense.

10. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

5 stars.

I also hate watching Dwight play basketball unless he's playing basketball

11. mig0s

mig0s Member

The 'hate' has nothing to do with his playoffs performance. Its like if Ghandi murdered 2 babies and you say 'so much hate against the nicest man'

12. rocketsfan611

rocketsfan611 Member

There's an enormous difference in "hating" on someone and being brutally honest and outspoken about things which are clearly observable.

13. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think "hate" is probably the most abused word on CF. I have to admit that I am guilty of said abuse sometimes.

14. naduka

naduka Member

Some of you are completely ignoring what other posters are saying. He's playing because he wants the rockets to win and they have a better chance to win with even an injured Dwight playing. The Rockets aren't a playoff team at all if you replace Dwight for a full season with dorsey or dmo at the center. It's like what Lamarcus Aldridge recently did. He came back to play while he was injured because the blazers are worse without him and he wants to help his team. That's all Dwight's trying to do. He's the only center the rockets have. If this was last year and they had asik, I'm sure he'd have rested his knee more. But no. This year their backup center is joey freaking dorsey.

15. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

I'm so tired of people assuming that someone else is "hating" just because they are being realistic. Dwight has sucked, that's the truth no matter what he did last year. Would it be a hard decision to trade him yeah, should it be done? yes if his knee is really effed up I have no desire to sit through another T-mac saga. And before you talk about how mean I am remember that this man is a millionaire and he is being paid money to do a job he is not doing.

16. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

LA can actually help his team though.

17. ZJP3

ZJP3 Member

I love this thread so much. Thank you for this.

18. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

It's the annoying immature posters that hate and don't take time to thoroughly analyze the situation before trying to get rid of players. Howard needs to heal up properly. The biggest pun is that the Rockets Coaching Staff for the 3rd consecutive year are inept and not the stars....

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

most people dont know **** about basketball.

20. Red Chocolate

Red Chocolate Contributing Member

Howard and even Dorsey are better than they look, they're just not being utilized well. I can live with Howard who seems to coast til the playoffs, but it seems like for some reason one of the coaches thinks that Dorsey should get the ball in the post -ever- on offense. Seriously I may be a delusional fan but I think there are people on this board that could coach better than McHale & co.