1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why Rockets will make Playoff next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rockets2003, Jun 18, 2002.

1. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

The Rockets will be the New Jersey Nets of next year. Remember that New Jersey won only 26 games the year before they got Jason Kidd. The Rockets won 28 games last year. The biggest reason we will be in the playoffs is added depth. With Ming and the 15th pick added and Rice, Taylor,and Francis coming back, we will actually have a bench. Kenny Thomas, Ming, the 15th pick, Eddie Griffin and the Mooch will make an explosive bench. I would not be suprised if the Rockets 45-50 games and got the 5th,6th, or 7th spot in the west. I really believe it could happen. :cool:

2. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I vote 51 games next year

Start off decently - 20 - 11
    Then heat up

Rocket River

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

If the Rockets can have a solid training camp and stay HEALTHY I think they will have a pretty good productive year and I am going to predict they make the playoffs as the 8th seed. I think that would be a good start for this team.

Chris

4. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

Why Rockets will make Playoff next year?

They won't. Adding Ming and whoever we select at #15 isn't going to help us improve significantly in just one year.

5. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

"I vote 51 games next year"

In NBA Live 2003?

6. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

You just don't have a basketball I.Q. The rockets won 28 games last year. The were 2-22 without Steve Francis. Out of those 20 losses, the Rockets could have won 10-12 if Francis played in those games. That would increase our record to 40-42 or atleast a .500 team. Adding in Ming,Taylor, Rice, and Thomas, Eddie, and Mooch coming of the bench and you could add altleast 5-10 more wins. That should be enough to get us to the playoffs.

7. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

No-no-no. The only way a team can become "the next New Jersey Nets" is if they are in the eastern conference. It doesn't work that way in the west. In the east, the talent-level is just so low that every year the final standings are going to be completely different...kind of like the NFL. I do agree that the Rockets could sneak into the playoffs though.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

at a minimum i think we'll have a better record than the knicks. that's not saying too much though. :p

9. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

This is the NBA, everything depends on the team chemistry, how well players fit into the system. Adding talents won't guarantee you a playoff spot. Just look at the Blazers, they have so much depth in their lineup, and yet just seeded 6th last year. And I think Portland is a much better team comparing to us talent-wise.

Btw, don't just start off your argument with a false claim of your own. After all, you don't even know me.

10. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

If the Rockets stay healthy, 45 wins is possible. That is either an 8 spot or 9 spot in the west.

11. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

What about the return of Mo Taylor? Glen Rice? Hopefully Francis not missing 20 some odd games?

Oh yeah . . thats doesn't matter much :rolleyes:

Rocket RIver

12. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

I believe that the Rockets will make the playoffs. With additions like Yao and Bachnar, they will be much improved and Francis and Mobley will have a strong supporting cast.
    Ming might not put up 20 and 10 next year but I am pretty sure that he will be a difference maker.
    We coudl easily jump the Blazers, Sonics and teams like that. The Spurs are slipping too.

13. huby_n1

huby_n1 Member

Mo is an oversized bacteria, and Rice is crippled old man, they won't help.

14. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

I am sorry for saying that you don't have a basketball I.Q. But I still say that adding 4 to 5 to our roster will help us. Furthermore, the Rockets have great chemistry. They are not like Portland because they do not have 3 or 4 players that play the same position. They have Francis and Mooch at point guard (no problem). They have Cuttino and Oscar Torres at shooting guard (no problems). They have Rice, Terence Morris, and Nachbar? at sf (none of them will arque if they come from the bench) They have Kenny, Taylor, and Griffin at pf (I agree, there is a problem here. However, Rudy can put Taylor and Griffin together and then bring Thomas to spell one of them.) Finally, the have Cato and Ming at center. (no problem- Ming won't complain because he is a rookie and if Cato complains Rudy can just point to the three seasons that he had a starting job and did not produce.) Therefore, I think the Rockets are far away from the problems that the Blazers have.

15. Rockets2003

Rockets2003 Member

You are so wrong on both statements. Remember Mo Taylor 2 years ago. He averaged 12 points a game and was a big offensive weapon, especially in the first quarter. The problem the rockets had last year was bad starts in games, and Taylor can provide a spark in the first quarter. Also, Rice did average 12 points a game for the Knicks. If he could give us threes when Francis and Mobley penetrate and average 8-10 points a game, he would be a factor. You have to remember that the rockets lost a lot of games last year by 8 points or less. With Taylor and Rice, I don't think that would have as often.

16. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

I like MoTay's game. People are doggin him because he tore his achilles. How ridiculous is that? He will help us out a lot.

17. austinrocket

austinrocket Member

Mo is a good player.
    If you dog a guy like Mo than Mobley deserves the same treatment.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

MO TAY plays 1st and 3rd
    KT plays 2nd and 4th
    Griffen plays last fourth of 1st and 3rd
    Plays w/ KT in the 4th

Rocket River

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I'm impressed. CC.net is the only board where people don't just rant like they're on Jim Rome and cuss like sailors (I know, you'll get reported, but it's cool nonetheless.)

And when people go too far on a rant, people generally don't rant back. Rather they point out the fallacies of the argument and move on. And the ranter freaking apologizes for the rant.

First class discussion guys.

20. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

rileydog, that's true for the most part. It's mostly impressive, supported, thoughtful arguments here. Occasionally there's something like this, though:

Why not just call them doo doo heads and be done with it?