1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why is Isaiah Hartenstein playing?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Gorki, Nov 13, 2018.

1. basketballholic

The Miami deal works not be about getting Whiteside. It works be about getting Winslow the player and Whiteside the contract as a nice expiring contract for trade next season.

The Nurkic Harkless deal works take the Blazers out of the tax.... that's worth an asset. ...a first round pick and a backup pg. And Harkless may become a player here or a nice expiring contract for next season.

What doesn't make sense is guys like you continuing to tell us that Capela will help us get past the Warriors when we've already seen it. The only thing that's going to get us past the Warriors are small ball players that can defend opposing bigs, switch defensively in to smalls and defend them well, and can help spread the floor on the offensive end in addition to finishing up a pnr.

Capela is a luxury player. He's great at what he does, running pick and roll. But that DOES NOT help us beat the Warriors. Running pick-and-roll against the Warriors is playing right into their strength. As great as that play looks during the regular season IT WILL NOT WORK AGAINST THEM IN A 7-GAME SERIES!!!!!!!

So Capela is a luxury we cannot afford to have if we have any intentions of beating the Warriors UNLESS a player like him is acquired AFTER the rest of the small ball lineup that can best the Warriors is in place.

And in our system with our current payroll we're going to have to expend him in trade to get our top 7 guys together that can beat the Warriors.

I shouldn't have to explain this to you guys. Did you not just watch the WC Finals six months ago? Did you not observe what worked and what didn't work? You beat the Weird with great switching defense and by spreading them out and making Draymond defend a shooter on the other end.

What is so difficult to understand about that?

2. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Unless we were to sign and trade for DJ, we still wouldn't have the money for that. Next year we are at 139 million, and taking away the 16.5 million we owe Capela next year, we'd be at 123. Even if we assume the Salary cap will rise, it won't rise by THAT much, to allow us to sign him to anything over the MLE. No matter what it is unrealistic. We would have to get rid of every contract not named Harden and Paul and MAYBE Tucker, to offer him even 16 million. And even then, I take a 25 year old Capela making the exact same amount than a 32 year old Jordan, who's athleticism will only go down.

3. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Btw they showed an analysis of DJ ft shooting here in fox LA. His shooting and footing is completely changed from before so lols like it’s not just small sample but who knows it might regressed back if he switches his stand at the line.

And yea Capela has either stayed the same or looked like he regressed first couple of games. Maybe it was Coz we were playing poorly or coz harden was injured a couple games. But he did look bad. And he still has his bad tendencies like switching at will, still goes soft around the basket, his timing is off when trying to block or he jumps and then he is out of position for a rebound and so on, same as last year.

And Capela is great at switching willingly but that doesn’t mean it’s a good thing for our defense. In fact it almost seems like every time he switches the other team scores easily. They shoot over him or passed him by or a mismatch in the paint for a easy shot.

So what I feel is like Capela tries to switch all the time willingly and when not needed in so that his defense doesn’t look that bad in the stats. I mean most of the switches create those easy layups for their centers. And they are score against other players not Capela. And in outside the perimeter he leaves too much space for an open 3 or long 2 but what’s easier to score a 2feet shot or one outside the 3pt line. Avg for a shot in the paint is like what 70 or higher and in 3pt land like 30-40 %. So I see what Capela is really doing there.

#243 cerophilik, Nov 20, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 20, 2018
  4. cerophilik

cerophilik Member

Of course that was before we gave Capela the new contract. And if we were going to sign dj we would trade Capela

5. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Okay but he is talking about NOW rather than last summer. Also last year we wouldn't have been able to add him for anything more than the MLE anyway. That is why he didn't come. It wasn't enough money. Also, yes we would trade Capela if he did, but we would have to take salary back making it even harder. Unless we traded Capela to the Mavs, for Jordan, which IMO is highly unlikely because the front office is very high on Capela, and I doubt they would let him go to a rival. The bias against Capela, who has been improving as the team also improves this season is extremely unnecessary. He is the third best player on this team, especially now with Gordon's inconsistency. And he is still just 24 years old. He hasn't even reached his peak yet. I understand this team is in WIN NOW mode, but moving the needle very slightly, if at all, is not worth gutting our only high quality youth, especially with our two best players moving into or already into their 30s.

6. basketballholic

He's an expiring. We dont have to worry about him clogging the cap up for the balance of the Harden/Paul era.

And he's not going to get anything close to 20 million per on his next deal. You are demonstrating you know almost nothing about the salary cap and players career arcs and supply/demand here.

DJ got a special deal this year. He had an option on this season with the Clips. They didn't want him and were trying to figure out a trade that would net them an asset before he had to exercise his option. Dallas wanted him and would have traded for him. But the Clippers didn't want to take back longer term salary.

So, rather than DJ opting in and they being struck with him clogging their cap this season they worked out an agreement with Dallas that if he opted out Dallas would give him his money he opted out of.

There was no big multi-year deal in the table for DJ this summer. If there were he'd have taken it. He's going to have to sign for good value on his next deal. Because almost every team has a young starting center that they are committed to and there are veteran centers signed to long term deals still on the books.

There is an over supply of big men right now and because the league is trending small there is less demand for guys like DJ than there ever has been. He will have to sign a small deal next summer to remain relevant in the Association. He will not get a big money deal. Your 20 million figure that you keep spewing is nothing but bullcrap. Go away foo.

#246 basketballholic, Nov 20, 2018
  7. basketballholic

You're back again???? The guy that blew Terrence Jones up our hineys for months!

And you're telling me to shut down talking about the guys we really need to trade to win a championship? Like you know anything?

Go back to watching Terrence dance in gleague son.

Every time you try to punk me, I'm going to punk you back. You derided me constantly when I said we needed to trade Terrence and he was not worth paying a long term deal to. You laughed and derided me constantly about Terrence. And you promoted Terrence. So every time you pull this stunt again I'm coming back at you dobro. You earned it.

Capela needs to be traded for parts that will help us get past the Warriors.

#247 basketballholic, Nov 20, 2018
    BigShasta and hakeem94 like this.
  8. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

I said 20 million because it is near his current deal. I understand he will decline and isn't of necessity. With that said, he would not sign for the MLE. And we do not have the money to sign him for anything more than that. Also, if he were willing to sign for the MLE, and you believe he would decline the way you claim because clearly I KNOW NOTHING about career arcs, 1. how would he be an upgrade over Capela then when they are essentially equal or slightly defer on every statistic? and 2. If he declines as a player like you say he will, why not just sign him to take minutes off of Capela? If he agrees to be a sixth man. which like YOU said with the overabundance of talent in the Center position, lack of long term deals, and JORDANS OWN DECLINE, it could happen, and he could flourish off the bench behind Capela in a system that has proven to work with a player with a similar play style.Your hate for Capela shadows over very simple facts.
    1. Capela is not far behind Jordan if at all, and is a much better offensive player. Someone in either this thread or the other Hartenstein thread mentioned that Capela gets stripped more than Jordan, but Jordan has a higher turnover rate, on a lower usage rating. Defensively they are relatively close, with Jordan having a slight edge, but offensively Capela is superior outside of free throws, which Jordan has just improved on recently.
    2. Capela is already on a long term contract that ends when he's 29 in his prime. With the way league is going on salary, 19 million in his last year will be a steal if he continues to play this way. Jordan will decline every year from here on out due to his age and athleticism being the main part of his game.
    3. The system works with Capela. Harden has a great connection with him, and Paul is getting to that level too. Capela knows the system like the back of his hand on offense and defense. Yes he messes up but he is superior to Jordan as a perimeter defender, and with our system, his mess ups will offset Jordans lack of ability to guard the perimeter. At the end of the day, getting rid of Capela for an aging DeAndre Jordan only hurts the team both now and in the long term.

9. basketballholic

Your post tells me you know very little about the game. You look at stats. That's about it. And you have no clue what it takes to beat the Warriors or what realistic trades are.

10. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

Rubio?

basketballholic likes this.
  11. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Your "realistic trades" is something that would work in 2k but not in real life. Yes I look at stats and I watch the games. And if you're not a fan of stats, then you should be a fan of a different team my friend. Take your beef up with Morey about Capela and see how an NBA GM would react.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Yes the guy who lives in reality that Terrence Jones was a contributing member of the Houston Rockets. Yes that was me, and that is you who rewrites made up arguments with yourself from 2010 to make yourself feel better about your life. 99% of the Terrence Jones arguments were with yourself, but you never realized that especially at the time. That’s why you have to create multiple users here so you can argue with you deranged split personalities.

I don’t live in fantasyland with my own “homespun statistical model” with “thousands” of spreadsheets on lesser known players just so I can feel like a winner. You have some serious issues dude.

PersianRocket likes this.
  13. basketballholic

Thanks fify.

14. basketballholic

When Morey trades Capela then what?

Never said I wasn't a fan of stats. Stop making up bs. I know and understand stats better than you do.

15. basketballholic

I don't have multiple user accounts. And you are a Terrence Jones advocate.

We should have traded Terrence for a second rounder after he had a couple good games like I said back then. Omri Casspi was and still is a better basketball player than Terrence. You don't know diddly.

hakeem94 likes this.
  16. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Making false claims without knowing someone's background. Very mature. Never said you weren't a fan but you made that an inference based on your response. Mathematics major with a minor in Sport Management and Analytics from Syracuse University. But let's not go into my history because that isn't the point. Morey wouldn't trade Capela for a player that doesn't move the needle. For the Rockets, and how they use Capela, that is a very short list of big men, all of which are untouchable i.e. Embiid, Davis, etc. And if Jordan decided to take the MLE, Capela COULD be traded, but focusing on this year and our needs for this year is Morey's priority, as he has stated many times before. Capela will not be traded this year unless it is for a top tier All-Star, and DeAndre Jordan and none of the other players you mentioned, are that.

D-rock likes this.
  17. basketballholic

The false claim was saying I'm not a fan of statistics and implying I don't know math. You deserved that. Be respectful and I'll respect you. Make false claims. Expect a response. K?

I never said or implied that Morey should trade Capela in a trade that doesn't move the needle. Nor am I that stupid. To imply such is stupid on your part.

The discussion should be centered around what type of players do we need in our top 7 to beat the Warriors. If you are intellectually honest and you are smart then you can observe how we play and you can back it up with the numbers on what it takes to beat then.

Capela, in his current form, being a PnR savant but a non-shooter, a bad FT shooter, and a mediocre switch defender at best against smalls, simply cannot help us beat them. He has to sit in favor of small ball combinations. Knowing that..And knowing we've lost two important cogs in last year's unit in Ariza and Luc and knowing we've replaced them with an undrafted rookie and a minimum salary bit player and knowing we still have our crucial Achilles heel..no legit backup pg if Paul goes down..Knowing all these factors..plus knowing that Tucker is untradeable and Knight has negative trade value...And we have no other substantial salaries in the roster to make a trade with....And knowing and understanding the plethora of big men in the league today....It should lead you to conclude that Capela is going to have to go for us to get the small ball parts we need to beat the Warriors.

You are honed in on one spot, the 5 spot. You are proposing that we can only trade Capela for another 5 because we have to have a big tall guy lumbering up and down the floor to be legit.

And I'm telling you if we had Otto Porter playing small ball 5 with Tucker Harden Gordon and Ennis/Clark and a good backup point guard that we'd have a lot better chance of beating the Warriors than we do running Capela out there for 30 minutes against them. Capela is the type of player that needs to be 7th or 8th in rotation minutes against the Warriors. He is NOT a small ball 5.

We'll have to trade CC to be able to win a championship this season unless Steph or KD breaks a leg.

18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

None of this offsets what we get from Capela... And Winslow the player that can hardly make a shot to save his life? No thanks... This team doesn't need a non shooter on the floor that's not playing center... It also makes us easier to defend.

What doesn't make sense is you don't seem to understand how Capela being so deadly in the PnR means he needs to be accounted for and thus it helps us force teams to switch and it allows Harden and Paul to take advantage of those switches in isolation... And you also seem to be forgetting we were on the verge of eliminating the Warriors before CP3 went down and we likely do beat them if he doesn't.... And you seem to be forgetting our big 3 of Harden, CP3, and Clint have a ridiculous record together and when those guys play we're 6-2 against the Warriors the last two seasons now.

D-rock likes this.
  19. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

The biggest issue is, we can trade for these pieces without giving up Capela. He might not help us against the warriors like we saw last year, but he was a key player in the first two series' shutting down Towns and taking Gobert out the game. Capela does not need to leave for us to match up against the Warriors, and if he does and we don't have a piece like him around, we might not even make it to that point. Yes Capela should play less LAST YEAR, but Cousins is now on the Warriors (assuming he is healthy for the playoffs). I do not trust Porter, Tucker, or any player on this roster to guard Cousins for a 7 game series. Cousins can shoot, and play in the post, and Capela is a good perimeter defender and a good post defender. He will help with that lineup.

Now assuming Cousins does not come back, players like Winslow, Johnson, or Porter can probably be had for less than Capela. Looking at the deal for Butler who is an Allstar, I would say that Porter who is a slightly better shooter, but a worse defender and a worse playmaker than Butler can be had for less than what Philly gave up, especially with Washington going under turmoil right now. You could cut Capela completely out the deal and send Knight, Nene, Chriss, and some of our young players or picks and get a player like Porter or Winslow or Johnson in return. It might be difficult but it could definitely happen without sending Capela elsewhere. And if we can get a player like that, and be dominant with Capela in the lineup, we will no longer have to adjust to the Warriors, and they will have to adjust to us.

joshuaao likes this.
  20. basketballholic

Same old bologna. You don't get it. When it mattered in the playoffs, the magical Harden, Paul, Capela was -29 against the Warriors.