1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does Yao keep setting PICKS?!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by killahflip, Nov 16, 2004.

1. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

Can someone please explain to me why Yao keeps setting high pick screens?? I would understand it if he sets the pick to set up a nice screen for the other person to shoot (who wouldn't want a 7'6 screen?)..but that's never the case. The other person just rolls out ...or dishes elsewhere. It just seems that's how he gets tired so much by setting up high picks. And what's frustrating..those picks don't do anything...and he just ends up being positioned too far from the basket. I mean..why can't he just roam around the paint and try to get position and post up??? GRRRRRRR....i miss Hakeem.

2. sharprain

sharprain Member

haha, this is exactly what i am wondering:mad: !

The pick seldom worked and it just waste his energy. Could not someone tell him to stop that?

3. PhiSlammaJamma

I like the pick occasionally, but he should roll to the basket instead of looking for the 16 footer.

4. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Yao shouldn't set picks on every play like he does.

We should let TMac and MoT run screens, and while the defense is concentrated on that, Yao should be establishing position. But instead, we are having Yao come out to the 3-point line to set picks, therefore unable to get back in time for rebounds.

5. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

6. brasss

brasss Member

so whos telling yao to set picks? jvg? or yao?

7. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Ummm, he's setting picks because his coach tells him to. And, just because the ball handler doesn't immediately score off the pick doesn't mean it didn't do its intended job.

8. Charvo

Charvo Member

Mo should be setting picks since he can hit the jumper.

9. Willis25

Willis25 Contributing Member

Hey, Karl Malone made a LIVING setting picks EVERY OTHER TIME DOWN THE COURT (for 18+ years). Yao should set them once every 3-4 possessions (because no one can defend the pick anr roll)

Unfortunately in the post Jordan, ankle breaking, one-on-one world, only guys who come from overseas know how to set (and use) screens... so Yao has to set them all the time !

:(

10. Toast

Toast Member

Yao + TMac working the pick & roll is a fantastic way to start an offensive set. What, are they gonna send 4 guys to defend that?

11. pugsly8422

pugsly8422 Contributing Member

I could understand using it every once in a while, or after a timeout for a set up play, but I hate seeing Yao out that far from the basket exerting energy (that it usually seems he doesn't have) and possibly missing rebound oppurtunities. I know we're usually at the bottom when it comes to offensive rebounding, maybe this is why? Our biggest guy, no I didn't say our best rebounder, is 20 feet from the basket. I'm really tired of seeing these and wish JVG would send someone else, I like the idea of Mo, to set these screens so Yao can establish position down low or get in position for a rebound.

Pugs

12. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe our POWER forward should set the pick. If he can't, we should trade him for someone that can do just that.

Look at frickin Boozer. Damn. He's running that thing like it's second nature, and he just got there. That's coaching. That's talent.

That's not Yao's game. Yao needs to be the outlet, not the pick, not the roll. He doesn't have the footspeed to explode on anyone. He needs to catch and shoot over. No one can stop that.

13. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

As much as I hated the Jazz, Sloan is one hell of a coach. That team is running the Stockton/Malone offense like vets.

I hope JVG finds better ways for Yao to get involved in the offense. Yao can do so many things with the ball, not just in the post. He should just play a two-man game with Yao/TMac.

I don't like watching Yao running around and using unesessary energy because JVG wants to use 24 of 24 seconds on the clock. If you're open or if Yao can get deep enough position early on, we should take it. We aren't getting enough easy shots.

14. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Setting screens and picks is part of fundamental basketball. On a given play, there might be 5, 6, even 7 different screens set. Most people only see the one the ball handler goes around, but there are screens to set up those screens and so forth.

The only way you'll understand is if you watch and learn the WHOLE game and not just the part where someone takes a shot.

By the way, this is a fundamentally flawed question because there are dozens of different offensive sets run by the Rockets in which every one has as many as 6 or 7 screens the combinations of which are in the hundreds. So, asking why Yao sets picks is like going to the deli counter and saying, "Gimme some cheese." You have to be more specific.

15. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Could someone tell Yao to stop setting picks?

16. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Also Yao should not get out of the paint to help on defense. Setting picks and moving out of the paint to help on defense are two major reasons for Yao's inability to get rebounds and getting tired too quickly.

17. killahflip

killahflip Contributing Member

hey..i understand that setting picks is part of basketball...but my point is...Yao setting picks at the top of the KEY is pointless! I have watched every game and he almost does this at every other possesion (this includes last year). He sets up a pick at the top of the key..and nothing happens. It's not like the player who he set the pick for shoots the ball..and it's not like he sets up a pick and roll with Yao.

After the pick..Yao is in no man's land and way too far out of position to do anything. I mean..no wonder the guys doesn't get enough rebounds or shots even. And if he does reposition back to the paint...all that moving throughout the course of the game just tires him out. I mean..I use to blame other players for not getting the ball to Yao but maybe it's Yao or JVG's fault for setting those high picks. He should just hover around the paint area and post up or reposition for a rebound.

It's one thing if he sets up a pick at the top of the key and something actually happens..but nothing ever does. Anyone else agrees? I hope i'm just not imagining things...cuz I'm sure it'll happen again tonight against the Hawks.

Just say NO to the high picks YAO!!!

18. Bobliu

Bobliu Member

Stay in the paint as all other great centers, Yao!

19. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

This is my pet pieve (however you spell it). Why don't they let Yao post up and let other players set picks for him. Such as having Mo or Juwan or JJ set a pick down in the post so Yao can rub off his defender a half step and roll around to the bucket? Yao is not Karl Malone. Van Gundy wants him to score in the paint, and not take a bunch of perimeter jumpers, so all the high screens at the 3 point line are a waste of energy. The high picks should be set by Mo. Have TMac and Mo play the high pick and fade game and let Yao set up show down low. So simple, yet we make it so complicated. I do not understand the purpose of Van Gundy's offense.

20. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

I think the better argument would have been "would someone please tell the ball handler to please let Yao get set when he's setting a screen". Yao has been called for too many moving picks already and it's mainly the ball handler's fault. When the offense starts to gel, and the screens start working better, you guys will love when Yao set a pick and three other scoring options are freed up. Give it time!