1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why does JB's Rotation Change Every Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mfastx, Dec 23, 2015.

1. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets play drastically different from game to game and even quarter to quarter. This team has no continuity whatsoever and trotting out different lineups every game is not going to do anything to remedy that. JB: figure out your rotation man! Not only does he play different guys at different times, but he plays one or two too many guys. And yes, I realize that Lawson has been out a couple of games, but I've noticed this trend for weeks.

Harden
    Howard
    Ariza
    Beverley
    Capela
    DMo
    Jones
    Lawson
    Thornton

Benched: Brewer

These are the guys who should see the floor. Please bench Brewer.

Thoughts?

2. fonzie_004

fonzie_004 Member

It's like he tries to reward effort and go with the hot hand. Yes we arfe not all Jones fans but am baffled about hsi lack of time today he was looking decent

3. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ironically, his daddy was known for running random 10-11 man rotations w/ the sonics in the 80's

4. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I understand doing that in certain situations but it seems like he doesn't even have a default rotation. I'm no NBA player, but I imagine it would be difficult for me to get into a rhythm and settle into my role on the team if I have no idea how many minutes I'll get and if I'm even going to get in the game.

5. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

The rotations right now are all over the place. IIRC, he didn't play any real PF in the second half. I don't remember Jones or Dmo seeing the floor. Can't form much chemistry when rotations are all over the place. It just appears JB is grasping for straws.

6. oogie boogie

oogie boogie Member

coincidentally*

7. Roc Paint

Roc Paint Contributing Member

Why do I have the feeling like I've heard that word before considering the same coach?E

#7 Roc Paint, Dec 23, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2015
  8. ksny15

ksny15 Member

He's a terrible coach

9. badboy321

badboy321 Member

I'm not worried about it all I want is him getting toss after this failed season

10. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

actually it may provide Morey statistical information about players and how well the fit on the team. Mixing and matching now makes sense...When its march april may...not really. I genuinely believe this to be the case.

11. jVgOwnsYou

jVgOwnsYou Contributing Member

This is hopefully not the case. We're betting on random lineups now to gather information for March and April? That is not how you build a champion.

12. OpenLayup-Why3?

These rotations are mind blowing. Not just in this game. He subs people like in ice hockey. Starts games big, ends with midget lineups. Finally have all bigs healthy, but decides to sit almost all of them in second half.

13. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

all I know is that Ariza and Beverly shot 6 for 23 from the 3 point line tonight and we loose by a few points. Beverly blew a layup right before the half. So, whichever lineup PREVENTS these two from doing bricking from 3 point land in tandem night in and night out JBB should roll with in my opinion

14. vator

vator Contributing Member

Hate his substitution patterns or lack thereof. It's actually quite ridiculous. Never seen anything like it.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

This in my opinion is why the team is playing out of sorts. The starting lineup needs to be the same as last season.

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

This thread is pure backseat coaching.

If we make a stop on that last ORL possession, does a completely different thread start saying JBB was brilliant to go small for the comeback. Rockets made two different comebacks by going small ball (one in 3rd and the entire 4th Q).

Here's from Jonathan Feigan:
    http://blog.chron.com/ultimaterockets/2015/12/rockets-sputter-down-stretch-as-magic-pounce-for-win/

Rockets down by 12 after a horrid start to 2nd half, JBB puts Thornton in for Capela

Down by 13 to start the 4th, JBB sticks to a small lineup with Ariza at PF and Howard at C, basically for the entire Q.

Rockets go on a 14-2 run to start the 4th Q to get within one, and you guys are saying JBB had the wrong lineup on the court????

We took the lead with 2:40 left, and again with 26 seconds left.

That was all switching to small ball.

17. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

100% agreed. I posted Jonathan's article earlier as well. Good one.

With that said, having Capela and Howard or at least (cough) Brewer instead of Ty on Orlando's last couple possessions would've made sense especially since Howard was leaving the paint to contest shots allowing Orlando to make simple layups. Having said all that Ariza/Beverly going for 6-23 at the 3 point line tonight sums the game up like a hand grenade both offensively as well as hindering the Rox transition defense

1 person likes this.
  18. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

"The Rockets offense had operated well through much of the first half. They had their best shooting first quarter of the first season. They had rolled through a 19-3 run – started by Terrence Jones and keyed by Clint Capela – to go from a 10-point deficit to a six-point lead. Harden had 13 first quarter points on 4 of 6 shooting." Jonathan Feigen Chron Sports

19. yahboyryan

yahboyryan Member

i think a 10 man rotation is killing us.. i think JBB should stick to 8-9 rotation (9 being max)

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think everyone agrees with you that teams should get to a point of settling on an 8-9 man rotation for the playoffs. But it is also common for coaches to work towards that with fielding 10-man rotations in the regular season (especially struggling teams who have depth and no clear best 8 or 9 on any given day).

But "killing us"? We used 10-man rotations in the three-game winning streak leading to this.